Noah Welch info please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Well when one wants the most upto date scouting report and projection, no where better than the HF prospects board.

So, with that being said, I can get a scouting report, development update and projection on Noah Welch ?

Thanks !

DR

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
DementedReality said:
Well when one wants the most upto date scouting report and projection, no where better than the HF prospects board.

So, with that being said, I can get a scouting report, development update and projection on Noah Welch ?

Thanks !

DR

bump .... i cant believe there have been 75 views and not one of you replied ? i thought this was the place to get the answer.

thanks for nothing (tongue in cheek)! :help:

dr

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
He's well liked be Penguin fans, and could be a very good top 3 d-man, maybe even top pairing. He's about 6'4" 215, I'm not sure how physical he plays, but he is a good two way defenseman. I don't think he has any major weaknesses, but I've only watched one period of his play, so I'm going by what I've read (which isn't a whole lot). He's considered one of the best defenseman in the NCAA. Oilers Chick knows a lot about collage hockey, so try posting this on the collage hockey board.

ttnorm

Feb 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
1582Straka1897 said:
I'm not sure how physical he plays...
Plenty. Has a mean streak sends guys flying more nights than not.

DementedReality, Welsh was as up and down as the tream he played for last year. Great some nights (v. Yale and Brown) terrible other nights (v. Princeton and RPI). The potential and skill set is there but he has a lot prove as captain this year.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Going by what I read, it seems Welch is an all-around defenseman. But like all young defensemen, he still needs improvement in his own zone and more consistency.

He's about 6'4'' 215lbs, very mobile, and gets into the rush quite a bit. While he's got a good 1st pass and shows good offensive ability, he also has a physical edge and can play mean, effectively clearing the crease.

This a basically what I've gotten from everything I've read about him. Seems he's a lesser talented Whitney with a bit of Orpik in him. Top 3 material.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, pretty much every Penguin fan loves Welch, and he is starting to gain more and more hype here in Pittsburgh, for whatever that's worth. Postman sums it up well.

When Oilers Chick logs on next, I'm sure she can give a full report about Welch.

Spiral Architect

Jan 28, 2004
Vermont
He's probably my favorite Penguins prospect. I've seen him play quite a few times over the past few years, and the one thing that sticks out to me is that this kid loves to hit. He's great around the net, as long as he doesn't start taking too many penalties. In the games I saw, I noticed him doing something pretty much every shift.

I agree with everyone else that he has top three potential. He was the best d-man in college last year, as far as I'm concerned.

MacDaddy TLC*

Bobby Orr is very impressed with him. Bobby Orr is also his agent, but I don't think he is a guy to make biased assessments. I do know of a fairly decent player who orr came up to meet and was thoroughly unimpressed with the kid and his family and turned him down.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Spiral Architect said:
He was the best d-man in college last year, as far as I'm concerned.

That's a very bold statement considering some of the dmen that are in college. Ballard, Carle, Skinner, Pock all stand out in my mind as being just as good if not better than Welch last year. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dark Metamorphosis said:
<-----he's gonna be a good one.

The Pens, Coyotes, and Habs are going to be supplying the bulk of the defensemen for U.S. National Teams in the near future:

Whitney
Orpik
Welch
Tanabe
Mara
Ballard
Komisarek
Hainsey

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of folks within the Penguins organization like him better than Whitney.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Thanks MrKnowNothing, I try.

About Welch: An excellent defenseman who plays both ends of the ice very, very well. He's a very good skater for a man his size. Great with the puck, quarterbacks Harvard's PP. He's got a nice set of hands, very good passer and has a good shot. One aspect that IMO makes Welch such as great player is his smarts and his ability to seize opportunities when they present themselves. He doesn't jump up into plays for the sake of just jumping into plays. He'll jump in, if he senses that he's got a good opportunity to make something happen, whether its getting a good shot on goal or intercepting a pass.

About the only real knock on Welch (and ttnorm, you're probably going to disagree with me on this one) is that IMO is not physical enough. I've seen him finish his checks and lay some very good hits, but in the many games I've seen him in, he doesn't do it enough.

FYI, he's also been named Harvard's team captain for this coming season.

ttnorm

Feb 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
O.C., I don't disagree. His physical play is not consistant enough. But when it is there it is impressive. Last year, Harvard was trailing Yale 5-2 late in the 2nd when Welsh laid a thundering (clean) hit on a Yalie (Zach Meyer) as the period expired serving notice that the game was far from over. Welsh strong play continued into the 3rd and he ended up with the GWG completing the big comeback.

He can be a dominant player from the blueline when he plays like this.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
ttnorm said:
O.C., I don't disagree. His physical play is not consistant enough. But when it is there it is impressive. Last year, Harvard was trailing Yale 5-2 late in the 2nd when Welsh laid a thundering (clean) hit on a Yalie (Zach Meyer) as the period expired serving notice that the game was far from over. Welsh strong play continued into the 3rd and he ended up with the GWG completing the big comeback.

He can be a dominant player from the blueline when he plays like this.

Yep, I remember that game. I also caught the game versus BU (non-Beanpot), where Harvard just spanked BU. Welch did get into the rough stuff, but as you said, his physical play is not consistent enough. That's the only real problem with Welch that I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->