Signing(s): Noah Syndergaard signs 1 year/21 M deal with Angels

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This move makes no sense at all. He leaves for 3 million more? I don't even know the tax situation but I think CA has slightly higher taxes now than NY, so basically he makes maybe 1-2 mill more.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
This move makes no sense at all. He leaves for 3 million more? I don't even know the tax situation but I think CA has slightly higher taxes now than NY, so basically he makes maybe 1-2 mill more.

A quick estimate shows Syndergaard making about $410,000 more for the Angels at $21M than the Mets at the qualifying offer.

He may value other factors, too - weather, maybe, or maybe he hates Steve Cohen.

Reactions: Thucydides

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Angels need pitching. We will see if Syndergaard can bounce back. Out 2020 and only a couple starts in 2021 before Tommy John

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Even if I ignore the question marks about Syndergaard, I cannot fully understand what the Angels were thinking. They risk to give away an early draft pick just for one year?

Gruß,
BSHH

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
that's a lot of money for a guy who has made 2 starts in the past 2 seasons and wasn't really all that good in 2019 either

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Even if I ignore the question marks about Syndergaard, I cannot fully understand what the Angels were thinking. They risk to give away an early draft pick just for one year?

Gruß,
BSHH
Around 51% of second round picks even make it to the MLB. Angels need to win now, so it's worth the risk.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Weren't the Angels the ones who gambled on the last Mets ace whose career derailed because of injuries?

Harvey, Matt Harvey...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seems a bit too much to give up the pick for him

Its a major gamble ala Matt Harvey who never regained his stuff after injuries

To me there were better options for Angels to pursue who would not have cost pick and are not a complete unknown on health front if they were looking to bolster pitching

We shall see in end but this type of gamble makes more sense for a team that has a deepish/capable staff already and wants to add the ? that would be Syndergaard to potentially put them over top

Reactions: BSHH

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
So he just lied when he said I CANT IMAGINE MYSELF NOT IN A METS UNIFORM AND I WILL TAKE THE QUALIFYING OFFER. See ya, you can't stay healthy, you give up too many HR's, wish you the best, but we'll be fine without you. Mets might sign Scherzer, he's a FA and we have money to spend.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Second-round draft picks in MLB are pretty close to the same value as third-round draft picks. I wouldn't view them as anything to be concerned about losing.

One-year deals on pitchers are basically never gambles - MLB teams generally have close to unlimited money and one-year contracts are as close to zero risk as it gets in this sport. If Syndergaard is hurt, the Angels get insurance to pay for him and the only negative impacts are any poor-quality innings he happens to pitch, the loss of an unimportant draft pick, and any luxury tax implications (with the Angels unlikely to threaten to push past the tax threshold anyway, rendering this a moot point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad