no more Waiver draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This too is a bit of a bone for the 'PA, who were never wild about the waiver draft. No big deal -- it was always like a garage sale anyway, with a few gems scattered around a sea of cast-offs...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Larionov said:
This too is a bit of a bone for the 'PA, who were never wild about the waiver draft. No big deal -- it was always like a garage sale anyway, with a few gems scattered around a sea of cast-offs...

I don't know about that. It made sure the fringe players had the best chance of getting a shot at an NHL job. Kept fringe players hopes up a bit. That kept GMs on their toes. It also meant GMs had to be reasonable with their fringe players.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
me2 said:
I don't know about that. It made sure the fringe players had the best chance of getting a shot at an NHL job. Kept fringe players hopes up a bit. That kept GMs on their toes. It also meant GMs had to be reasonable with their fringe players.

Exactly, Im surprised the PA would want this.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The Waiver Draft and Waivers in general were driven by the PA, not something they would ever want to get rid of. Players getting a shot at an NHL salary on another team rather than buried in the minors was what they were after. They must figure there will be sufficient player movement that they no longer needed this...

Or nobody on the PA side even remembered it and now they are saying, "Damn, I knew we forgot something!" ;)

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I agree with several of you.

It would seem that a player has a greater chance of being buried in the minors with no waiver draft. I would like to hear the nhlpa's logic on that one.

Renholder

Racing like a pro
Jun 24, 2005
montreal
Didn't we not want a diluted product? I think this is an excellant news for the fans and so good for the fringe players. Minor League players should stay there.

Cwood2

Feb 6, 2004
The fringe players make up a relatively small portion of the NHLPA. I don't think the Lindens, Gartners and Shanahans of the world were all that worried about the waiver draft.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The Waiver system never promoted fringe players. It kept players who were good enough for the NHL from being buried in a deep team's system forever. There are many times that players have been picked up off of waivers or selected from the waiver draft and played in the NHL that entire season plus many more. Saying it only deals with the movement of fringe players seems naive or ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad