No more Canada bashing now, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

This thread was just asking for trouble

I'm tempted to bash Canada because of this thread, and I'm a proud Canadian.

We won. Let's take the high road.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Splatman Phanutier said:
This thread was just asking for trouble

I'm tempted to bash Canada because of this thread, and I'm a proud Canadian.

We won. Let's take the high road.

I feel the same way. It's a shame so many people can't evaluate hockey at least somewhat objectively. Any intelligent hockey fan should be able to recognize that state that Canada's national program has been the most successful of the past few years, a few years prior it was the Czechs, for a very brief period one could argue it was the Americans, and so on.

Honestly I don't how why people get so worked up over teams that change constantly and offer little to get attached to emotionally. As far as I'm concerned, Canada is not my team. Neither is the USA. Or Russia. Or Sweden. Or any other country. My team is, and will continue to be, the Detroit Red Wings, and no one else.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Epsilon said:
Honestly I don't how why people get so worked up over teams that change constantly and offer little to get attached to emotionally. As far as I'm concerned, Canada is not my team. Neither is the USA. Or Russia. Or Sweden. Or any other country. My team is, and will continue to be, the Detroit Red Wings, and no one else.

Yeah but the point is, we don't see you coming to the board and talk crap in the most arrogant fashion when the Wings win a cup. This thread starter is showing more arrogance and insecurity, IMO, than a real sense of pride. There's a way to celebrate in dignity.

Personally, I like it when Canada win. I do feel some pride, particularly during the Olympics. But there's no need to start threads to crap on other countries.

I'm really glad that hockey has become a much more competitive environment at the international level. Makes it all the mmore fun when we win but I don't whine when we lose, and I certainly won't laugh at others when we win or point to some superiority.

The results are on the ice. The rest, is worthless talk.

Talk is cheap and not needed.

You celebrate with joy but to contemplate whether we're a superior force at point X, or the Russians at point Y, and the Czechs at points Z is useless and petty.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Don_Cherry said:
I'm Canadian and damn proud that we are the best hockey nation. It's the best game in the world, and we as a nation play it better than anyone else. That title is very likely to be taken away at some point, but it will return. It's a cycle. Right now we're on top and historically we've been on top more than anyone else.

You know what? They'll probably be some *****ing and moaning from my fellow americans at the sentiment that you expressed. My feeling is that you're correct, and that you have every right to enjoy the hockey nirvana you're living up there north of the border. :yo: I look forward to the World Cup and the US team bringing down the Canadian team against all odds. The best part is that I will get to see a TON of games because ESPN decided to broadcast like 10 or so of the games. :bow: It will be glorious.

Auld Cents 20

Apr 5, 2003
CANADA
Visit site
We were left shaking our heads at the Olympics in the past because we had amateurs facing off against professional players from the Soviet Union, Chzechslovakia, Finland, Sweden and the other European countries, not because our system wasn't working. It took a team full of our best players to lose to the USA at the world cup, and the Nagano Olympics for us to see where weve strayed and get back to the system Team Canada had in the past.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
George Bachul said:
1. Stanley Cup
2. Olympic Gold
3. World Cup(Canada Cup)
4. World U-20 Juniors
5. World Championships

I mean, I am proud of the team and everything, and it is good they won, but this tournament hasn't and doesn't mean very much to me. Utilizing the best available talent, so many turndowns, most players don't feel that it is an important tournament anyway.

As for the *Rah* *Rah* we are great, that is a totally UnCanadian approach to victory. You quietly yell "Yay", say inside your head that Canada is a great hockey nation. Shake your opponents hand respectfully and move on. Modesty is what being Canadian is all about.

Totally agree. Great post. Most canadians i've talked to fit your description.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Canada is currently the #1.
Russia as I see it is the only one who can challenge Canada for that spot on a contiuous basis, but currently Russian hockey is a mess and depending on who coaches them results in who will play for them.. A full strenght Russia is the only team that could challenge a full team Canada in, oh say, a best of 7 series.

The small countries (and USA is here "hockey wise") can challenge those two when the right pieces click into place.
That I see as being the moment in time when their old guard can give one more great performance and their young guns are ready to announce their abilities to the World.
for an example, For Finland to win a World Cup/Olympics, it would require..
Selänne, Koivu,Lehtinen,Numminen,Sami Kapanen giving great performances, which they are capable of but Selänne's not doing now and Kapanen in his role with Philadelphia isn't scoring like Finland would need him to.. Thus he and Selänne would need to start scoring in that tournament..
Then it woudl also require the likes of Ruutu,Pitkänen,Lehtonen etc playing great, to the abilites we all know they have but due to their youth haven't reached or haven't reached on a serious basis.

And it's that window in time. After the old guard is gone, it's about waiting for the next generation to come.
Like in Nagano, Finland needed great performances from its then top players -> Selänne,Koivu and needed solid performances from the old guard (Kurri, Tikkanen, Myllys *yikes!*)
Which is the other window of oppurtinity, one generation being at the height of their game then.
Sweden has this now, Forsberg,Naslund, Lidström etc.. but was the window for Sweden 2 years ago in Salt Lake? Lundqvist/Tellqvist/Liv/Salo leaves questions in goal that in Salt Lake weren't there with Salo being respectable then..

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The World Championships really do mean jack all.

I agree that Canada is the epitomy of hockey nations, yes, and the critics need to be toned down a little, but there is much more even play from all the major nations now, and that needs to be recognized and appreciated by hockey fans.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Beakermania said:
Facts

Defending Mens Olympic Champs
Defending Women's Olympic Champs
Defending Men's World Champs (2time)
Defending Women's World Champs (8-time, and only ever winner)

Fact is we are the best!!! Go Canada Go!!!

P.S. USA HOCKEY = MADE IN CANADA!!!! (Brett Hull, Parise, Deadmarsh, etc....)

Boy I bet those lines get you all the girls....

Poor guy, I sense a little insecurity here.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Captain Conservative said:
You know what? They'll probably be some *****ing and moaning from my fellow americans at the sentiment that you expressed. My feeling is that you're correct, and that you have every right to enjoy the hockey nirvana you're living up there north of the border. :yo: I look forward to the World Cup and the US team bringing down the Canadian team against all odds. The best part is that I will get to see a TON of games because ESPN decided to broadcast like 10 or so of the games. :bow: It will be glorious.

The next team that beats Canada and earns a World Cup title or Olympic gold will get all the respect I have to give. And they will deserve it.

Lurker

May 30, 2002
Visit site
What is all this aboot, eh?

First of all, congratulations to Canada.

It doesn’t matter how you got to a final it’s how you play when you get there. If you’re in the final it means that the rest of the teams are not good enough to be there. It’s like the NHL, it doesn’t matter if you go undefeated during the regular season if you get swept in the first round of the playoffs. You got to show up when it matters, that’s what’s it all about.

The fact of the matter is that there are at least seven teams in the world that can beat any other team on any given day. This day the Canadians were the best. There was a clash of styles, as usual, when North Americans and Europeans face off. In NA it’s more accepted to play borderline dirty but if you do you better be ready to face the consequences. In Europe it’s not part of the game to kick someone’s ass after a perceived dirty hit.

By the way, I don’t think that women world hockey cup should be mentioned here. It’s a very small sport that’s exclusive to only a couple of countries.

Ajo

Mar 23, 2002
Borlänge, Sweden
Visit site
Canada is the team to beat. They are the land of hockey IMHO. They should be on top. Its good for hockey that they have now focused more on the WC, started in 96 or so. Now Canada plays like a team, have good organization etc.

Sweden beat Canada 9-0 back in 1987 when Sweden won the WC. That won't happen again I think.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Canada is currently the #1.
Russia as I see it is the only one who can challenge Canada for that spot on a contiuous basis, but currently Russian hockey is a mess and depending on who coaches them results in who will play for them.. A full strenght Russia is the only team that could challenge a full team Canada in, oh say, a best of 7 series.

The small countries (and USA is here "hockey wise") can challenge those two when the right pieces click into place.
That I see as being the moment in time when their old guard can give one more great performance and their young guns are ready to announce their abilities to the World.
for an example, For Finland to win a World Cup/Olympics, it would require..
Selänne, Koivu,Lehtinen,Numminen,Sami Kapanen giving great performances, which they are capable of but Selänne's not doing now and Kapanen in his role with Philadelphia isn't scoring like Finland would need him to.. Thus he and Selänne would need to start scoring in that tournament..
Then it woudl also require the likes of Ruutu,Pitkänen,Lehtonen etc playing great, to the abilites we all know they have but due to their youth haven't reached or haven't reached on a serious basis.

And it's that window in time. After the old guard is gone, it's about waiting for the next generation to come.
Like in Nagano, Finland needed great performances from its then top players -> Selänne,Koivu and needed solid performances from the old guard (Kurri, Tikkanen, Myllys *yikes!*)
Which is the other window of oppurtinity, one generation being at the height of their game then.
Sweden has this now, Forsberg,Naslund, Lidström etc.. but was the window for Sweden 2 years ago in Salt Lake? Lundqvist/Tellqvist/Liv/Salo leaves questions in goal that in Salt Lake weren't there with Salo being respectable then..

I don't agree with this at all. The U.S. is not a "small" hockey playing nation. We have the 2nd most registered players and rinks in the world, and the game continues to grow at a fast rate. Our national team programs are well funded and organized, and this past year was the most successful one yet for USA Hockey. If anyone is going to challenge Canada for hockey supremecy, it's the U.S., not Russia.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Beakermania said:
Facts

Defending Mens Olympic Champs
Defending Women's Olympic Champs
Defending Men's World Champs (2time)
Defending Women's World Champs (8-time, and only ever winner)

Fact is we are the best!!! Go Canada Go!!!

P.S. USA HOCKEY = MADE IN CANADA!!!! (Brett Hull, Parise, Deadmarsh, etc....)

Is that the best you can do? Two individuals that have an American parent, and are American citizens, and another who was born in Minnesota? :banghead:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ajo said:
Canada is the team to beat. They are the land of hockey IMHO. They should be on top. Its good for hockey that they have now focused more on the WC, started in 96 or so. Now Canada plays like a team, have good organization etc.

Sweden beat Canada 9-0 back in 1987 when Sweden won the WC. That won't happen again I think.

That was a cabinet decision. Sweden needed a 9-0 win over Canada, so that Soviet would not win yet another gold. They got exactly that. How convenient ;)

Alfons

May 3, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't agree with this at all. The U.S. is not a "small" hockey playing nation. We have the 2nd most registered players and rinks in the world, and the game continues to grow at a fast rate. Our national team programs are well funded and organized, and this past year was the most successful one yet for USA Hockey. If anyone is going to challenge Canada for hockey supremecy, it's the U.S., not Russia.

Russia will be better than USA that´s for sure. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Zherdev for example are better than any young american and they have got some good young defensemen too.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Alfons said:
Russia will be better than USA that´s for sure. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Zherdev for example are better than any young american and they have got some good young defensemen too.

With such a stinging retort I must concede defeat! :shakehead :lol :lol:

Alfons

May 3, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
With such a stinging retort I must concede defeat! :shakehead :lol :lol:

Well, it seems that russia will have better top end talent for some years to come, i think most people would agree (compared to USA). And I don´t relly see what was THAT funny :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Alfons said:
Well, it seems that russia will have better top end talent for some years to come, i think most people would agree (compared to USA). And I don´t relly see what was THAT funny :dunno:

I don't deny that the U.S. doesn't have a guy like Ovechkin on the radar, but overall, I think the stable of American prospects is better than Russia's. My opinion.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Alfons said:

Top end talent doesn't guarantee a better finish. Its becoming quite normal for the Russian team to underacheive with lots of stars.

KariyaIsGod*

Rabid Ranger said:
Is that the best you can do? Two individuals that have an American parent, and are American citizens, and another who was born in Minnesota? :banghead:

Well, Brett Hull was born in Belleville... Deadmarsh in Trail B.C. and Parise's father is J.P Parise who is Canadian...

However it's the citizenship that matters. After all, Dany Heatley was technically born in Germany, not Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->