No more Canada bashing now, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I love how the succes Canada has had in the international tournaments lately has shut up all of the critics being either Canadian or form other countries. Remember about 5 or 6 years ago every one thought the Czechs were the best in the world. Canada apparently was no longer. We even had a hockey summit to discuss what we were doing wrong.
I think it all started in 1996 when we lost the World Cup to the Americans. USA had a good team that year but lets face it, Canada was missing Lemieux, Bourque, MacInnis, Roy, Kariya and Francis. All the while losing on a tying goal that was questionable by Canadian Brett Hull. But everyone jumped on the "Bash Canada" bandwagon and it only helped when we lost in Nagano in 1998 too.
Now after Salt Lake two straight World Championships and the fact we have been better than any other country by far at the WJC the past 15 years I ask if there is anyone who thinks Canada is not the best Hockey playing nation in the world? Don't believe me, well I'm sure the World Cup will erase your doubts. Canada is on an absolute roll now. It seems they cant be stopped. In September we are going to ice the best team we have ever had since the 1987 Canada Cup in my opinion. We are back where we belong.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
No bashing from me, although you could tone your ego trip down a bit. Canada should be one of the best, if not the best hockey playing nation as it's your national sport (aside from lacrosse). The point many are trying to make, is that there is alot of parity when it comes to the top seven or so hockey playing countries. Look at the success the U.S. has had of late at all levels, and consider how far off the the radar of the American public hockey is.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
To me, it started in Salt Lake, after Gretzky started his whine-fest for the media. When you want to be the big dog, you have to learn to take the heat, but don't whine about it when you're having a hard time handling the pressure.

Nic

Apr 30, 2004
Big Phil said:
I love how the succes Canada has had in the international tournaments lately has shut up all of the critics being either Canadian or form other countries. Remember about 5 or 6 years ago every one thought the Czechs were the best in the world. Canada apparently was no longer. We even had a hockey summit to discuss what we were doing wrong.
I think it all started in 1996 when we lost the World Cup to the Americans. USA had a good team that year but lets face it, Canada was missing Lemieux, Bourque, MacInnis, Roy, Kariya and Francis. All the while losing on a tying goal that was questionable by Canadian Brett Hull. But everyone jumped on the "Bash Canada" bandwagon and it only helped when we lost in Nagano in 1998 too.
Now after Salt Lake two straight World Championships and the fact we have been better than any other country by far at the WJC the past 15 years I ask if there is anyone who thinks Canada is not the best Hockey playing nation in the world? Don't believe me, well I'm sure the World Cup will erase your doubts. Canada is on an absolute roll now. It seems they cant be stopped. In September we are going to ice the best team we have ever had since the 1987 Canada Cup in my opinion. We are back where we belong.

Your arrogance is disgusting. I am a Canadian and would like to remind everybody else that Big Phil DOES NOT speak for all Canadians, only himself.

If Canada will win the World Cup, it will be by hard work and determination, not because we are "Canadian" and for some reason that makes us better then all of the other hockey nations. Canada's recent success can be attributed to hard work and determination (two qualities Canadians do not have a monopoly on). Canada won the World Hockey championship recently because they earned it, not because we "belong" at the top of the hockey world.....

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This is such a dumb post, its an obvious attempt to start a pissing contest, which simply isn't needed, as up until now this board has been very friendly and respectful.

There are 5 or maybe 6 other nations capable of winning the WC and if they do win it, it wont be because Canada had a bad tournament, it will be because they earned it.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think it is such a dumb post. He's simply stating that for awhile there it was thought that we fell off of our pedistal as a hockey power, and the country wanted answers. The last few years have proven we have reclaimed our title as the best hockey playing country in the world - men, or women.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Come on, its true though, for a good few years the Czech's were the best team in the World. Nothing against Canada, no one said Canada was crap, but the best in the world they weren't.

The Czech's won Olympic gold in 98 and WC's in 99, 00 and 01 as well as winning the WJC's in 00 and 01.

There is no arguing that from 98 to 01 the Czech Republic was the best hockey nation in the world. The numbers dont lie.

Hitman*

Simmer, simmer.

After some sort of ruling by parliament in the early 90s:

Lacrosse is our SUMMER national sport

and

Hockey is our WINTER national sport.

Although, lacrosse was the national sport first.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
guinness said:
To me, it started in Salt Lake, after Gretzky started his whine-fest for the media. When you want to be the big dog, you have to learn to take the heat, but don't whine about it when you're having a hard time handling the pressure.

Whoa whoa whoa. That selfless act by Gretz is what turned everything around for Canadian hockey. He took all the pressure off the players and put it on his own shoulders. He also brought to the forefront a fact that a lot of Canadians didn't want to admit. That the rest of the world LOVES to beat us at hockey. We may be fairly well liked internationally as a country, but in terms of hockey we are not liked at all.

He united an entire country behind that team and got us the gold medal by doing so.

So lay off Gretz. He is a gentleman and is the best ambassador for any sport ever. I defy anyone to show me a person who has done for for a sport then what Gretzky has done for hockey.

He is a true class act and is nearly a god in this country.

I am proud that he is Canadian.

Thank you Gretz for everything you have done and will do for your country.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Big Phil said:

And you wonder why it may seem if everyone is rooting against you.....

I root for the USA, but if not them, I root for Canada.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Big Phil said:
We are back where we belong.

Yeah, but look at how long it took you to get there. There's no question Canada has been one of if not the best the past few years, but don't forget how many years you guys were left shaking your heads at the Olympics/WC's.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I hate to break it to you... but Canada's victory says nothing about 'Canada'... it speaks only to the talent of the 25 players, who all happened to be born in Canada and play hockey real good.

They are not a reflection on Canadians, and to think that Canadians feel pride when their 'Country' wins a game (though all countries do it) is laughable when you really think about it. I see it as taking credit where none is due... if I'm from Laval, should I feel pride in the fact that Martin St. Louis hails from there? Would I then feel shame if a Laval native became a serial killer? Of course not; because they are entirely different people. Nationalism is “soooo†20th century.

I also find it curious how geographic proximity is the deciding factor in how most cheer for their sports teams. When considering all the other factors one could consider, such as playing style, skill, and character, you'd think geographic proximity, or the flag one happened to be born under, would rate near the end.

Anyways... just an observation, continue wasting otherwise good brain cells.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Dude, it's all in fun... People like cheering for the "home team." It's what people do.

As for the original post, if I remember correctly, it was mostly Canadians bashing Canadian hockey. Most opposing countries still felt Canada was a worthy opponent.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
what the hell is this topic about? I mean they won the World Championship for god's sakes!

I understand the Olympics ... or the Junior championship ... but this!!!!!! Nooooooo. :banghead:

and a team that beats Germany 3-2 thanks to Kariya's goal in the 3rd ... wow, what a great team.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
1. Stanley Cup
2. Olympic Gold
3. World Cup(Canada Cup)
4. World U-20 Juniors
5. World Championships

I mean, I am proud of the team and everything, and it is good they won, but this tournament hasn't and doesn't mean very much to me. Utilizing the best available talent, so many turndowns, most players don't feel that it is an important tournament anyway.

As for the *Rah* *Rah* we are great, that is a totally UnCanadian approach to victory. You quietly yell "Yay", say inside your head that Canada is a great hockey nation. Shake your opponents hand respectfully and move on. Modesty is what being Canadian is all about.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
George Bachul said:
1. Stanley Cup
2. Olympic Gold
3. World Cup(Canada Cup)
4. World U-20 Juniors
5. World Championships

I mean, I am proud of the team and everything, and it is good they won, but this tournament hasn't and doesn't mean very much to me. Utilizing the best available talent, so many turndowns, most players don't feel that it is an important tournament anyway.

As for the *Rah* *Rah* we are great, that is a totally UnCanadian approach to victory. You quietly yell "Yay", say inside your head that Canada is a great hockey nation. Shake your opponents hand respectfully and move on. Modesty is what being Canadian is all about.
Haha, nobody in Europe will believe you. ;)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Exactly.

Just ask a CAnadian anything related to hockey and he'll answer : "Canada rules, you rest of the world suck. Piss off."

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Kronblom said:
Haha, nobody in Europe will believe you. ;)
I remember back when Canada sent average teams to the WC and didn't fare well, and the excuse was "We aren't sending our best.". Given a few successes and all of a sudden the World Championships are becoming important to some. Personally the fact that Russia didn't have Khabibulin in net or a defense that had Vishnevski, Gonchar, Zubov, or either Markov on it means that their team isn't indicative of their country's great quality. Look at their roster... http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams/roster.ihwc?team=RUS Sure there are some great players, but who did Canada really beat? USA? http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams/roster.ihwc?team=USA

Come on, let's not toot a horn that Canada is so great because they win the WCs...it is a nice little tourney but not the end all beat all.

BCCHL inactive

Zednik20 said:
Lacrosse stinks.

I don't know of anyone around here who plays it.

And you're in Vancouver? Lacrosse is among the most popular sports in the Lower Mainland. Hell, WLA games probably draw as much attendance as the BCHL teams in the area do.

Not to mention you have a NLL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad