NO HOFers on a team

Status
Not open for further replies.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dartmouth 02 said:
Which team went the longest without a hall-of-famer (or futire, surefire hall-of-famer) on their team?

right now im thinking of the isles, who dont seem to have had one since lafontaine (who wasnt definately a HOFer while he was there, anyway)

I might be wrong, but isn't Cam Neely the first ex-Canuck player to go in the HOF? and he wasn't really HOF caliber as a canuck....so wouldn't you have to go from 1970 to whenever Bure arrived? that's a long stretch off the top of my head

Ogopogo*

looooob said:
I might be wrong, but isn't Cam Neely the first ex-Canuck player to go in the HOF? and he wasn't really HOF caliber as a canuck....so wouldn't you have to go from 1970 to whenever Bure arrived? that's a long stretch off the top of my head

The Canucks do have, arguably, the most pathetic history of all NHL teams. For 20 years they never had a great player and spent most of their time toiling at the bottom of the standings.

Pavel Bure was the first bright spot in team history and now, with players like Naslund and Bertuzzi the club has earned some respect.

Thus far, there are no HOFers that attained that honor as a result of their time with the Canucks. Bure, Naslund or Bertuzzi might be the first.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
The Canucks do have, arguably, the most pathetic history of all NHL teams. For 20 years they never had a great player and spent most of their time toiling at the bottom of the standings.

Pavel Bure was the first bright spot in team history and now, with players like Naslund and Bertuzzi the club has earned some respect.

Thus far, there are no HOFers that attained that honor as a result of their time with the Canucks. Bure, Naslund or Bertuzzi might be the first.

I guess Messier's heroic years in Vancouver don't count either huh? ;)

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
The Washington Capitals. Nobody since Langway. Stevens blossomed later, Jagr wasn't even trying while he was there and is more recognized as a Penguin and Bondra is borderline.

The term "long-suffering fan" was coined for those hardy souls who cheer on the Caps.

they had Gartner and Langway, and Stevens was hardly chopped liver when he was there

what do people think of Bondra??

500 goals (and he's close) is impressive in the era he played. a good goal scorer anwyays

looooob said:
they had Gartner and Langway, and Stevens was hardly chopped liver when he was there

what do people think of Bondra??

500 goals (and he's close) is impressive in the era he played. a good goal scorer anwyays

I had forgotten about Gartner. Probably because I've never been on the Mike Gartner HOF bandwagon. I still don't care for his inclusion, which is probably why I forgot about him. And I don't think Bondra makes it. His dropoff from his prime to now has been too steep.The numbers are nice, but he's a touch too one-dimensional for the Hall IMO.

As for Stevens, I would guess that 90% of fans associate him a lot more with the Devils than the Caps. Nothing to do with how he played with either team, but the majority of his Hall worthy accomplishments were in a New Jersey uniform.

Which leaves Langway. Retired in 93. 12 years now.

And for franchise that's been around as long as Washington having only two HOFers is still pretty bad.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
Carolina will be off this list the day Ron Francis goes in.

Dallas? Modano is their only shot really and he's borderline in terms of numbers. Yeah Dallas/Minnesota is certainly in the running.
hey don't forget the Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Dave Keon era in Hartford/Carolina ;)

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Modano is a lock for the Hall. His numbers are only borderline because of the era he played in. And while Belfour made his bones mostly in Chicago, his Cup in Dallas will be considered a big part of his resume.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver takes this, hands down.

Prior to Neely being inducted this year, there wasn't a player in the HHOF who had played a single shift for the Vancouver Canucks. For a team with a 35-year history, that's absolutely astonishing.

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
Ogopogo said:

it's funny how an inch can make the difference between HOF and obscurity.

if nathan lafayette doesn't hit the crossbar in 94, and ties the game up, the canucks win in OT. It's almost certain given the momentum they had and the magic they had in OT that year.

trevor linden wins the conn smythe trophy

the team doesn't get decimated the next year

trevor continues to have a few more good season

When he retires he is remembered as one of the greatest all-time leaders - up there with Messier, and Yzerman, and as one of the most clutch performers ever - including his performance on the 98 nagano team when he was the only player to score vs Hasek in the Czech game.

I think if Nathan Lafayette's shot is an inch lower, Trevor Linden is a hall of famer.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
canucks666 said:

if nathan lafayette doesn't hit the crossbar in 94, and ties the game up, the canucks win in OT. It's almost certain given the momentum they had and the magic they had in OT that year.

And if Brian Leetch doesn`t hit the post in Game 1, the Rangers win the series in 4 straight and it`s just another lopsided Stanley Cup Final. The what-if game can work both ways. I like Trevor Linden as much as anybody, but he`s not Hall-Of-Fame material; winning Game 7 that year wouldn`t have changed that.

Ogopogo*

canucks666 said:

When he retires he is remembered as one of the greatest all-time leaders - up there with Messier, and Yzerman, and as one of the most clutch performers ever - including his performance on the 98 nagano team when he was the only player to score vs Hasek in the Czech game.

I think if Nathan Lafayette's shot is an inch lower, Trevor Linden is a hall of famer.

I think you are very wrong.

Leaders have to lead a team to victory. Messier has won 6 cups and led his team to 2 of them. Yzerman has led his team to 3.

Linden has led his team to 0 cups. Linden will go down in history as another Stan Smyl - forgotten everywhere except for Vancouver where they consider him a hero.

Linden is not HOF material, not even close. He is number retirement material with Vancouver's mediocre history.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
canucks666 said:

I think that while hockey is a game of inches, Trevor Linden is several miles away from ever being considered for the hall of fame, regardless of the difference that game could have made.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I think Pittsburgh's got everyone beat. They had Andy Bathgate their first year, and then nothing (well, a lot of good players, but nobody at the HoF level) until Mario. So 1968 to 1984, 16 years. The Islanders are at 14 right now since Lafontaine left, but they've had Turgeon, Vanbiesbrouck, Hextall, Yashin, Bertuzzi, Luongo and Palffy in that space. None of them's a surefire inductee, but the way the voting's gone lately, I'm sure at least one of them will make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad