no hockey till 2006-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
mr gib said:
i have to agree with you - although i think there will be replacement players in sept 05 -

I agree.

Bettman says they will move forward with an 05/06 season no matter what. They will look into any option it takes.

They will negotiate all summer. Set a September 1st deadline.

Declare an impasse September 1st.

Replacement players show up for training camp September 10-15th.

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
McDonald19 said:
I agree.

Bettman says they will move forward with an 05/06 season no matter what. They will look into any option it takes.

you cant just declare an impasse. the players have negotiated in good faith, and there is no way the league can get an impasse since the players accepted a cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
bhawk24bob said:
you cant just declare an impasse. the players have negotiated in good faith, and there is no way the league can get an impasse since the players accepted a cap.

While I don't necessarily disagree that the players and owners have made mistakes, the issue that I have with the PA is that it took the assumption the Levitt Report was false and the owners were lying and wouldn't agree to a self audit.

Of course, that said, an impass cannot be just declared as you said :)

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
bhawk24bob said:

They still have a pretty good case for an impasse.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
In 2006-2007 there will something like 80 active contracts still open.

So who will the PA be representing...?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
McDonald19 said:
Yeah were all angry but dont call me a dumbass, ***** he@d.

They still have a pretty good case for an impasse.

Esp if you look at the fine print in the PA proposal. It is potentially more inflationary then the last one!!

With no real changes to arbitration, holdouts and with revenue sharing allowing small market teams to spend more, combined with using the 2005-2006 as the base-line for the cap, assuming a 35% drop in revenues for that year from this past one, if the league were to get back up to 2.1 billion, the cap would then be around 79 million with a 37 million floor. Tell me how the NHL can afford that?

That is a horrible offer and an impasse would be very possible.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I would have to agree with whoever says that replacements will play a full or half season next year. Everyone involved should be absolutly ashamed that they destroyed hockey. Bettman is the worst thing to ever happen to this game. Expansion ruined the sport, the southern teams are totally dragging down the nhl's economy...i cant believe any type of moron would think that franchises can work anywhere. I hate you Bettman, and I hope you rot the rest of your life knowing what you have done to this game.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
I would have to agree with whoever says that replacements will play a full or half season next year. Everyone involved should be absolutly ashamed that they destroyed hockey. Bettman is the worst thing to ever happen to this game. Expansion ruined the sport, the southern teams are totally dragging down the nhl's economy...i cant believe any type of moron would think that franchises can work anywhere. I hate you Bettman, and I hope you rot the rest of your life knowing what you have done to this game.

theres a problem with replacement players... American teams can only have american born players and canadian teams can only have canadian born players.....

American teams are going to suck huge.. lol

atleast if what i'm saying is correct.. because thats wat I was told :dunno:

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
bhawk24bob said:
you cant just declare an impasse you dumbass. the players have negotiated in good faith, and there is no way the league can get an impasse since the players accepted a cap.

Actually, genius, they can just declare an impasse. They could have done it three months ago, they could do it today.
The only question is whether the impasse declaration would be upheld by the NLRB when the PA files an unfair labor practice complaint.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Actually, genius, they can just declare an impasse. They could have done it three months ago, they could do it today.
The only question is whether the impasse declaration would be upheld by the NLRB when the PA files an unfair labor practice complaint.

and the PA would win.... :teach:

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
kerrly said:
I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket if I were the PA.
to get there impase they would have to prove that the PA was not negociating and being unreasonable...

how were they???? they came down alot more than they had to....

end of story........ :teach:

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I've heard that British Columbia doesn't allow replacement workers...

Anyway, the NHL needs replacement players and why not? The vast majority of fans stand beside the NHL in this, not behind the players. I really don't care who wears the Montreal Canadiens jersey, as long as they play well, I am happy. The NHL can't afford to go 2 seasons without dropping the puck or a rival league will take over and the NHL's rep would be destroyed. Having replacement players would at least keep the NHL alive, regardless of how many people attend the games. The NHL has to keep it's self alive so it's not forgotten. 2 years bickering with players isn't going to happen. That would be suicide. The NHL needs replacement players and they will get them.

Last edited:

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
joepeps said:
to get there impase they would have to prove that the PA was not negociating and being unreasonable...

how were they???? they came down alot more than they had to....

end of story........ :teach:

Actually you're about to be taught :teach:. Impasse has nothing to do with the NHLPA coming down off their stance. If you look at the details in the last proposal, you actually see how far apart they were, i.e. NHLPA's point #7. This makes impasse much more possible than expected recently. And if you would like to prove to me, that the NHL has bargained in bad faith (provided you know what that is) then please be my guest. Here's a good article you should read and it shows that impasse is a very real possiblity. Gord Miller has also stated that he has talked to many experts in this field in the U.S. and not one has said this isn't a real possibility that this can go through.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9941

Last edited:

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
McDonald19 said:
I agree.

The NHL would die without a 2005 season. Even if they use replacement players, the league will be alive, albeit with lower attendance and cheaper ticket prices. But the league will be alive. The Maple Leafs will play the Canadiens, the Oilers will play the Flames. The fans will support their teams as they've always done, because fans follow teams - not players. (Most fans) Otherwise people would have stopped going to Oilers games when Gretzky left. Some probably did, but not the vast majority.

I cheer for my team (Montreal) not for it's players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad