Post-Game Talk: No Cup for Winnipeg this Year | 4-1 Leafs Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So you would dress someone like Malgin and expect the Leafs to play a similarly tough game without Simmonds and Clifford…
I would have no trouble dressing a player like Malgin if he was the best option, though I don't know what he has to do with anything since he's not really in contention for a 4th line role.
Depending on who was on the 4th line, it may result in more or less physicality from the 4th line, but it's not going to change how the rest of the team plays, and it's certainly not going to change the response the team is going to give to a situation like we saw in this Winnipeg game.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
With or without Simmonds in the lineup, this was going to be a predictably physical game. Maybe there is some truth to Simmonds injecting that into the lineup, but the boys would’ve played hard regardless.

Very fair.
Maybe the exact same things would have happened without Simmonds in the line up, However it seems reasonable to assume that he was added to provide some additional "grit" to the team, and there was a noticeable change over the previous game(s).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Very fair.
Maybe the exact same things would have happened without Simmonds in the line up, However it seems reasonable to assume that he was added to provide some additional "grit" to the team, and there was a noticeable change over the previous game(s).
Especially when you consider this is the first game both these players dressed for.
I don't know how you can't consider it gave the players a boost.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leaf Nation fans would be all for inserting Marchment for Malgin, and Kadri for Kerfoot, and Lyubushkin for Mete and leaving Simmonds and Clifford on the sidelines if those were options to bring grit into the line-up throughout.

Unfortunately the Leafs GM doesn't see the need for grit as a priority in team building, and so we're left with Simmonds and Clifford only options even though both are past their prime and limited, but for cap reasons its the only way to add backbone to the Leafs when needed.

However Simmonds and Clifford coming in to the line-up at bargain bin prices replacing other bargain bin shopped Denis Malgin and Nicolas Aube-Kubel isn't a great sacrifice to add that much needed grit at times. Its a shame we don't have better options for both grit and depth signings, but it is what it is...

If they were coming into the line-up at the expense of Nic Robertson then I could see a valid reason for uproar but complaining were losing Malgin and Aube-Kubel, seems an odd reason for all the outrage. IMO

Malgin 4 games 1 goal 1 point and 2 shots on net with ATOI/g = 11.17 minutes & Aube-Kubel 5 games 0-0-0 points and 1 shot on net with ATOI/g = 9.0 minutes,

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Leaf Nation fans would be all for inserting Marchment for Malgin, and Kadri for Kerfoot, and Lyubushkin for Mete and leaving Simmonds and Clifford on the sidelines if those were options to bring grit into the line-up throughout.

Unfortunately the Leafs GM doesn't see the need for grit as a priority in team building, and so we're left with Simmonds and Clifford only options even though both are past their prime and limited, but for cap reasons its the only way to add backbone to the Leafs when needed.

However Simmonds and Clifford coming in to the line-up at bargain bin prices replacing other bargain bin shopped Denis Malgin and Nicolas Aube-Kubel isn't a great sacrifice to add that much needed grit at times. Its a shame we don't have better options for both grit and depth signings, but it is what it is...

If they were coming into the line-up at the expense of Nic Robertson then I could see a valid reason for uproar but complaining were losing Malgin and Aube-Kubel, seems an odd reason for all the outrage. IMO

Malgin 4 games 1 goal 1 point and 2 shots on net with ATOI/g = 11.17 minutes & Aube-Kubel 5 games 0-0-0 points and 1 shot on net with ATOI/g = 9.0 minutes,

14 million in cap vs 5 million...

You should know about the cap Mess, it is almost all you talk about.

You also just compared our #8D with someone who would likely be making 2.5 million as our #8, terrible cap management.

This whole post I am assuming just lives in a fantasy world where the cap does not exist?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I hate to agree with Kypreos, but Cliff and Simmer's toughness does seem to ripple through the line up when they are in there. Guys just seem to stand a bit taller. I think there's a psychological thing there.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I hate to agree with Kypreos, but Cliff and Simmer's toughness does seem to ripple through the line up when they are in there. Guys just seem to stand a bit taller. I think there's a psychological thing there.
but we know that's not true because they've been in the lineup with poor results

kb

Aug 28, 2009
14 million in cap vs 5 million...

You should know about the cap Mess, it is almost all you talk about.

You also just compared our #8D with someone who would likely be making 2.5 million as our #8, terrible cap management.

This whole post I am assuming just lives in a fantasy world where the cap does not exist?
Most posts are devoid of any logical or rational thought.

Nor a beacon of impartiality and getting threads back on track.....they just get further derailed.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Leaf Nation fans would be all for inserting Marchment for Malgin, and Kadri for Kerfoot, and Lyubushkin for Mete
And where exactly are we getting this additional 9.25m in cap space?
Unfortunately the Leafs GM doesn't see the need for grit as a priority in team building
Not true at all. He just doesn't massively exaggerate the importance of more superficial forms of grit, like some on this board.

Reactions: kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There was one available a few seasons ago for cheap that Dubas could have easily acquired but passed on.

Predictably, the usual suspects here were against that too.

Sam Bennett Available

Pure gold in that thread.
Yeah I figured it was probably best to avoid that discussion after they started claiming Joey Anderson was better than him.

• Haha
Reactions: Bomber0104

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

See if that is the case after 5 games, if they haven't played themselves out of the lineup yet.

It very well may be, but one game where the guys prepared for a rough game and after the talk from the Dallas game being our stars getting abused (because why talk about a good win?), it will be interesting to see if it is the players or the circumstances that made the team appear tougher.

I am curious to see how much of an effect they have on the games moving forward, I like having those players in the lineup, I just wish they had more skill.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
See if that is the case after 5 games, if they haven't played themselves out of the lineup yet.

It very well may be, but one game where the guys prepared for a rough game and after the talk from the Dallas game being our stars getting abused (because why talk about a good win?), it will be interesting to see if it is the players or the circumstances that made the team appear tougher.

I am curious to see how much of an effect they have on the games moving forward, I like having those players in the lineup, I just wish they had more skill.
Talk about the stars getting abused instead of the win (they did talk about the win...) has to do with the fact that you can't take that kind of abuse all season without paying for it. Matthews ribs still looked sore in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Duffman955
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad