No CHL Import Draft thread yet???...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Freaky Habs Fan said:
I'm wondering if the Habs will push a team in which they already have a prospect to draft Pavel Valentenko...hope he will be pick somewhere in the second round because from what Timmins had to say about this guy, he's pretty interesting.

That's what I'm hoping too with Mikus having an outside chance as well. The refresh button has never worked as much....

Rangers have already 2 prospects being picked....

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Trav said:
or is the draft going slow? lol wow, seems like a slow pace to me and I'm surprised, it should be this slow later on in the draft, not now haha, guess some teams werent quite prepared. Maybe its the OHL website that's being slow.

there are time slots for every pick ....12:05 ...12:15 ...12:25 etc ...

look to the right of the teams name here ... http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/events/pop.php?id=225

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Do you guys think Roy will also pick Roman Bashkirov or he'll simply keep the better one?

EDIT: Well looks like he answered the question for me. ;)

Last edited:

gamblor

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Duff88 said:
Do you guys think Roy will also pick Roman Bashkirov or he'll simply keep the better one?

EDIT: Well looks like he answered the question for me. ;)

I guess they're not identical twins. Apparently Roman is two inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Im a bit confused. Are all the players chosen pretty much a lock to come over?

Michal Neuvirth(Washington) was drafted by Plymouth. It'd be cool to see him in NA.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Robin Figren's agent confirms on Swedish website Hockeymagasinet.com that Figren will play with the Calgary Hitmen next season. Figren and Fredrik Pettersson will be lethal! (quitesimilar players, in fact)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
habsfan15 said:
Im a bit confused. Are all the players chosen pretty much a lock to come over?

Michal Neuvirth(Washington) was drafted by Plymouth. It'd be cool to see him in NA.

Not locks, because obviously nothing is for sure.

But while I don't have the numbers off hand (maybe someone wants to do it), I'd say with confidence that a very high percentage (in the 80% range) of the players drafted in the Import draft end up coming over that year or the following one as Imports. Either way most of them end up playing in the CHL at some point in their career. As Charlie's Girl said if a team is selecting them, they have a pretty good idea that those players have an interest in coming over and have likely already reached agreements with the agents of those players. And in the post-lockout, new agreement with euro's under the same 2 year window, I bet you will see even more players coming to the CHL because it will be the quickest way to achieve their dream of reaching the NHL.

In that same regard though, the percentage of Imports that actually work out and become core players for their team is much, much lower. Some guys just don't adjust well, get home sick and leave, etc.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Predatore said:
Robin Figren's agent confirms on Swedish website Hockeymagasinet.com that Figren will play with the Calgary Hitmen next season. Figren and Fredrik Pettersson will be lethal! (quitesimilar players, in fact)

Talking about LETHAL, he was just picked to go to PEI! Latal that is.... ;)

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Can any of our swedish posters translate this for me?

#8 Red Deer Rebels - Kiril Starkov
Frölundas ultratekniske forward Kirill Starkov kommer alltså spela WHL-hockey till hösten. En stor attraktion på isen, som säkerligen inte skulle göra bort sig i ES till hösten. Han fick ju redan smaka på seriespel i våras.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
habsfan15 said:
anyone think Mikus or Valentenko (Montreal) will be picked up in the draft?

Well I wouldn't bet on Mikus but Timmins seemed to think that Valentenko would be playing in the CHL next year. If the Import Draft is the only way, well let's wait and see. Someone talked about, as a wish, that Acadie could picked him so we'll be able to witness some Carle-Valentenko combination. That could be fun. :D

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
#8 Red Deer Rebels - Kiril Starkov
Frölundas ultratekniske forward Kirill Starkov kommer alltså spela WHL-hockey till hösten. En stor attraktion på isen, som säkerligen inte skulle göra bort sig i ES till hösten. Han fick ju redan smaka på seriespel i våras.

Frölunda's super technical forward Kirill Starkov will play WHL hockey this fall. A big attraction on the ice, who certainly would look good in the SEL, too. He got some ice time this spring already.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
nomorekids said:
David Poile mentioned that the two Euros picked by the Preds this year--Finn Niko Snellman and Swede Viktor Sjodin are expected to play in the CHL this year. Both are agitators, though Snellman has some skills as well. Wonder where they'll go.

Snellman was selected by the Regina Pats and Sjodin was selected by the Portland Winter Hawks.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Shane said:
Snellman was selected by the Regina Pats and Sjodin was selected by the Portland Winter Hawks.

The more I've read about Snellman, the more I love about this guy. He sounds like an Avery type of player...absolute pest with the ability to put in 12-15 goals on the fourth line.

Sjodin being selected by Portland isn't surprising, as Brent Peterson is part-owner. He got Stanislav Balan on to the team last year, though he ended up being pretty disappointing.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Juraj Mikus drafted by Chicoutimi! :eek:

I think I might go more often to the Centre Georges-Vezina this year. :D

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
Yay! third Latvian taken at 45 - Arturs Ozolins. He was the captain of Latvian team and tied second leading scorer in U18 D1 this year. Not the fastest player, but big (6'3) and quite offensively gifted. I am confident that Arturs Kulda (200th pick by Atlanta in NHL draft 2006) will be picked before the Import Draft is over. I have slight hopes that also Kaspars Saulietis, Arturs Dzelzs (goalie) and Arturs Dzerins (leading scorer in the U18 D1 this year, fast and technically sound player, but not the strongest one) are taken.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Predatore said:

That's sweet news for the Islanders, should be easier to sign him in 2 years.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Buddhaa said:
Yay! third Latvian taken at 45 - Arturs Ozolins. He was the captain of Latvian team and tied second leading scorer in U18 D1 this year. Not the fastest player, but big (6'3) and quite offensively gifted. I am confident that Arturs Kulda (200th pick by Atlanta in NHL draft 2006) will be picked before the Import Draft is over. I have slight hopes that also Kaspars Saulietis, Arturs Dzelzs (goalie) and Arturs Dzerins (leading scorer in the U18 D1 this year, fast and technically sound player, but not the strongest one) are taken.

OT: I think Lauris Darzins will have his rookie year in the AHL this year for Milwaukee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->