No Canada... The Media's obsession with "Canadian Teams"

MacDaddy Version 4

The patron saint of the Denial
Mar 11, 2018
West Fort William, Ontario
Every playoff season, the idea that as a Country, we need to get on the bandwagon of the "Canadian Teams" is pushed by the Canadian media. I get it. they want/need a Canadian based club going deep into the playoff, potentially even winning the cup. What I'm not buying is we need to get on the bandwagon based on geographical location. This is Club hockey, not National teams.

Let me put it this way: It's Toronto Maple Leafs or bust! I don't care about the Alberta teams, the Canucks, the red-headed step-child in the Nation's Capital ... And I would sooner cheer for a team coached by Satan with Hitler as it's First line Centre than cheer for the Montreal Canadiens.

If the Leafs are eliminated, I cheer for the Thunder Bay boys representing the city (want to win a cup, find a Lakehead boy)
Then it comes down to which teams play a style I enjoy (Speed, forecheck, Dangerous offensively -- which may include a team geographically located in Canada)

Actually, I'm intrigued and have been thinking about how great a Nashville vs Tampa Stanley Cup Final
could be. I'm thinking about how many Canadian Chest thumpers might stroke at the thought of a such a Southern USA based Stanley Cup final... and if that doesn't get them, Smarmy Gary Bettman wearing Bermuda shorts to present the cup will push them over the edge.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
:thumbu:
I like it. Never understood the whole cheer for a team because they're from Canada.

Because we're from Canada. Where Trump isn't our president. Yeah it's nice to see the annual Manitoban bring the Cup home. But it's not a matter of pride. Are people in Detroit pulling for the 4 Michigan boys in Winnipeg to win? I know in Quebec most people would rather see a hometown boy win than the Leafs, and the same holds true in Leafland if the Habs were in contention.

I was in Ottawa last year though for game 6 of the ECF, and it was exciting, that feeling of being close.

A Stanley Cup parade in Canada would be good.

If it were Toronto, I would begrudgingly cheer for them as I would for the Raptors, or the Jays (was an Expos fan).

The Leafs media, much like the Habs, are repulsive.

For me this playoffs, it's Winnipeg. Calgary if they get in.

Mildly after that, Minnesota if they knock out the Jets. Philly because of Clarke/Hextall. Colorado because I like their team, and Sakic, and nothing else. Turn off the TV, have a bbq, enjoy summer. Watching Tampa compete in +30 weather, high humidity, puck bouncing and rolling like playing on concrete. No thanks. I'll go play street hockey.

Subban wins a Cup, good for him. Don't like him as a player.

Refs helping Pittsburgh. No thanks.

Boston. Respect the organization, very classy. Still not interested.

Vegas wins the Cup by offering opposing players free hookers and cocaine? Not for me.

I want to see the Cup in Canada. The parade in Canada. With thousands of insane fans, like the Red Mile, rejoicing. Like when Canada wins a gold medal. Except the sweater is for a Canadian team, not necessarily a Canadian player. We welcome everyone in Canada. Russians not as much, but mostly everyone. There's no wall.

I just don't think Gary Bettman wants to hand the Stanley Cup out on Canadian soil, unless it is to an American team.

Winnipeg would be special, because nobody cares about Winnipeg. They sure don't notice us in Toronto. But Winnipeg lives and loves hockey. They don't have celebrities like Vegas or Nashville, or L.A, behind them. You might find Neil Young in the crowd somewhere. That's an underdog.

MacDaddy Version 4

Mar 11, 2018
If it were Toronto, I would begrudgingly cheer for them as I would for the Raptors, or the Jays (was an Expos fan).

The Leafs media, much like the Habs, are repulsive.

It's okay if you don't. I cannot speak for all Leafs' fans but I don't want any hop ons for a Cup run. It's been too long and I would prefer if, like all the time, everyone was cheering against our team.

Agreed on the media. I like Bruce Arthur. No use for the rest.

Winnipeg would be special, because nobody cares about Winnipeg. They sure don't notice us in Toronto. But Winnipeg lives and loves hockey. They don't have celebrities like Vegas or Nashville, or L.A, behind them. You might find Neil Young in the crowd somewhere. That's an underdog.

Potentially I could get on board with a Winnipeg cup win. Geographically, its close (as is Minnesota) in a way that I can feel almost like they are the hometown team. I'm not opposed to that kinda geography dictating fandom and I feel a stronger connection to them than any connection to teams in Western Canada. Jets play a style I could get behind, although I don't want to see Laine with a Cup until Matthews has 2

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Actually, I'm intrigued and have been thinking about how great a Nashville vs Tampa Stanley Cup Final
could be. I'm thinking about how many Canadian Chest thumpers might stroke at the thought of a such a Southern USA based Stanley Cup final... and if that doesn't get them, Smarmy Gary Bettman wearing Bermuda shorts to present the cup will push them over the edge.

Would definitely throw a big monkey wrench into the whole "Hockey doesn't work in the sunbelt" belief many Canadiens and northern US markets have.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Would definitely throw a big monkey wrench into the whole "Hockey doesn't work in the sunbelt" belief many Canadiens and northern US markets have.

When a team is winning the bandwagon is full. When I was a kid Piitsburgh and Washington fans were few and far between. Canada won the Cup for 7 years straight.

I think a well managed team in the Sunbelt is successful. Make the playoffs once in 7 years, and your team is a threat for Canadian relocation, so it's a fine line. Meanwhile in Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg they have all endured long stretches without the playoffs. They just have to grin and bear it, hope for next year. In Winnipeg, it's this year. Toronto's been waiting 51 years.

But good on franchises like Vegas, Nashville, Tampa finding the most competent hockey people to run their teams, and making a name for themselves. Carving out a market. Hockey's bigger and better because of them.

MacDaddy Version 4

Mar 11, 2018
So many Canadian hockey fans are so uptight about the success of the game in the states. How many Leafs' fans get on board the "We must cheer Canadian team" bandwagon? Think about the impact of the Jets moving south and the Direct impact it has on the Leafs -- would Auston Matthews have become who he is without that happening? The Best thing for the game is expanding into non-traditional markets and seeing the game grow. Pro teams lead to grassroots programs develop. Embrace it.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
This is Club hockey, not National teams.

We may not like it but there is an element of nationalism as National Anthems are played every game. And of course the push to get more viewers.

My bandwagon team this year will be Vegas.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
We may not like it but there is an element of nationalism as National Anthems are played every game. And of course the push to get more viewers.

My bandwagon team this year will be Vegas.
And the fact that Canadian team has not won for so long.

Once it happens I suspect it is going to die down a bit.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't cheer for teams just because they're from Canada. Everyone in Canada cheered against the Canucks in 2011 vs Boston when we were by far the most entertaining team in the league. I'm not about to cheer for some other Canadian team to win the cup before us.

Reactions: MacDaddy Version 4

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Downgoesbrown says it best:

Here’s a secret about Canadian hockey fans: We don’t actually want another Canadian team to end the country’s Cup drought. We want ourteam to win. If that can’t happen, the last thing we want is to see some other Canadian city get to be the one that brings the Cup home. That’s what makes the annual “Canada’s Team” story so lame — it misses the point of how bitter and vindictive most of us are

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's just a lazy, easily repeated narrative that also creates an obvious Canada vs US talking point that feeds into being anti-Bettman. Meanwhile, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Canadian fans would root for the vast majority of American teams in any playoff matchup versus the other six teams north of the border.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It's just a lazy, easily repeated narrative that also creates an obvious Canada vs US talking point that feeds into being anti-Bettman. Meanwhile, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Canadian fans would root for the vast majority of American teams in any playoff matchup versus the other six teams north of the border.

There's no imperical evidence to support that. But I remember Drew Stafford saying that playoff revenues would be down the year that every Canadian team missed the playoffs.

Personally I watch the Canadian teams.

After that the interest wanes. Summer's are short in Canada so make the most of it. Hockey in June never made sense to me.

Still doesn't.

And honestly if given the choice to watch hockey for two teams I could care less about, on bad ice, because of the season, i.e Tampa's run, or watch the basketball playoffs with friends I'll watch basketball. The Raptors success will turn even more fans away. Because basketball is a global sport, and their game is about scoring. Hockey playoffs become benign as the playoffs wear on. There is not much offense. Usually generated by questionable penalties that didn't exist in the old days. You know the refs are going to ruin it for somebody. Or the video review people who didn't think that Corey Perry grabbing Talbot's leg was goalie interference. I still remember that Martin Gelinas had the game winning goal in every playoff series in 2004, except the one that didn't count. It's fixed for American teams now. Watch how many PPs the Jets get in the playoffs, with one of the best PPs in the league. They managed to get 1 PP in 2 games in New York. The league doesn't want them to win, or Ottawa, so they won't. Toronto at least has a chance.

But honestly, it doesn't matter. Nashville will play Pittsburgh, and maybe Nashville wins this year, because it's good for Bettman's game when non traditional markets win. After the Jets go out, I'll be pulling for the Timberwolves.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosenqvist

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Downgoesbrown says it best:

Here’s a secret about Canadian hockey fans: We don’t actually want another Canadian team to end the country’s Cup drought. We want ourteam to win. If that can’t happen, the last thing we want is to see some other Canadian city get to be the one that brings the Cup home. That’s what makes the annual “Canada’s Team” story so lame — it misses the point of how bitter and vindictive most of us are
100% agree with this and it's what I tell anyone who says,"Gotta cheer for the Canadian team!".

Reactions: MacDaddy Version 4

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
100% agree with this and it's what I tell anyone who says,"Gotta cheer for the Canadian team!".

I'd be a bit more comfortable with a Canadian team winning if we weren't in such a long drought.

Imagine how smug and insufferable the fans of the team that eventually ends it will be.

I want to be that insufferable fanbase.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Every playoff season, the idea that as a Country, we need to get on the bandwagon of the "Canadian Teams" is pushed by the Canadian media. I get it. they want/need a Canadian based club going deep into the playoff, potentially even winning the cup. What I'm not buying is we need to get on the bandwagon based on geographical location. This is Club hockey, not National teams.

Let me put it this way: It's Toronto Maple Leafs or bust! I don't care about the Alberta teams, the Canucks, the red-headed step-child in the Nation's Capital ... And I would sooner cheer for a team coached by Satan with Hitler as it's First line Centre than cheer for the Montreal Canadiens.

If the Leafs are eliminated, I cheer for the Thunder Bay boys representing the city (want to win a cup, find a Lakehead boy)
Then it comes down to which teams play a style I enjoy (Speed, forecheck, Dangerous offensively -- which may include a team geographically located in Canada)

TL/DR.

I want the Leafs to be the next Canadian team to win the Cup. So screw the rest of the Canadian teams.
Same rules apply to the rest of the teams as well.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't cheer for teams just because they're from Canada. Everyone in Canada cheered against the Canucks in 2011 vs Boston when we were by far the most entertaining team in the league. I'm not about to cheer for some other Canadian team to win the cup before us.
Because of who wwas on the team. Of course know you know why people don't like Kesler or Burrows.
if the leafs make the playoffs they will a Distant second on TSN and Sportsnet.
3rd behind the Raptors haha.

But I do find it interesting how people say @voyageur is wrong about canadians cheering for canadian teams, but support the Blue Jays. I mean there is rumors of the Expos coming back, so who will you cheer for then?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Because of who wwas on the team. Of course know you know why people don't like Kesler or Burrows.

3rd behind the Raptors haha.

But I do find it interesting how people say @voyageur is wrong about canadians cheering for canadian teams, but support the Blue Jays. I mean there is rumors of the Expos coming back, so who will you cheer for then?

Spos are never coming back--I have a better chance of getting drafted first overall in both the NHL and the NBA then the spos coming back and I stopped watching when the left. There are too many hurdles for the spos to come back.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Spos are never coming back--I have a better chance of getting drafted first overall in both the NHL and the NBA then the spos coming back and I stopped watching when the left. There are too many hurdles for the spos to come back.
You keep saying except they have everything in place. But I digress. I think the real problem is so few canadian teams have made they playoffs recently other then last year.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The 'Canada's team' is lame. The Jays beat it down our throats when they're winning and now the Raptors the same with 'We the North'...despite PDX and MIN have higher latitudes...but I disgress.

Saying that I,d like to see the Leads and Jets go deep to keep divide going...

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->