NL MVP is...

Your vote for NL MVP is?

• Total voters

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
10 or 15 years ago Stanton or Votto have a shot but players on losing teams rarely if ever win it anymore. I'd be amazed if it wasn't Goldschmidt or Blackmon

darko

Feb 16, 2009
10 or 15 years ago Stanton or Votto have a shot but players on losing teams rarely if ever win it anymore. I'd be amazed if it wasn't Goldschmidt or Blackmon

Trout did it only last season.

Voters won't always get it right but in the last few years they've been getting it mostly right.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yet outside of homeruns Votto's offensive numbers are better than Stanton's.

I mean, Joey Votto pretty much is a f***ing baseball. He's perfect. If I'm picking somebody to be on the Yankees, I take Votto. (And not because we already have a RF, I'm saying in a vacuum)

But 59 homers is just the kind of number I'm going to remember when I'm old af. "Hey guys remember when Giancarlo hit 59?"

It's the mythical. It's the spectacular. It depends on what you're looking for. I wouldn't be mad at all if Votto won it, just personally speaking.

When I say "slam dunk" I'm trying to see how the voters might look at it. But these days voters are more and more into the analytical approach and the value of the wallk so who knows?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I mean, Joey Votto pretty much is a ****ing baseball. He's perfect. If I'm picking somebody to be on the Yankees, I take Votto. (And not because we already have a RF, I'm saying in a vacuum)

But 59 homers is just the kind of number I'm going to remember when I'm old af. "Hey guys remember when Giancarlo hit 59?"

It's the mythical. It's the spectacular. It depends on what you're looking for. I wouldn't be mad at all if Votto won it, just personally speaking.

When I say "slam dunk" I'm trying to see how the voters might look at it. But these days voters are more and more into the analytical approach and the value of the wallk so who knows?

Who cares if it's mythical or spectacular? Would you give NBA MVP to whoever does the best windmill dunk?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who cares if it's mythical or spectacular? Would you give NBA MVP to whoever does the best windmill dunk?

No, but Patrice Bergeron is probably the most dominant 200 foot player in the NHL, and a 50 goal guy is more likely to win the MVP, and I've never argued that Bergeron should be MVP.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No, but Patrice Bergeron is probably the most dominant 200 foot player in the NHL, and a 50 goal guy is more likely to win the MVP, and I've never argued that Bergeron should be MVP.

I'm confused. How did Votto become Bergeron?

Reactions: Ivan13

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They're both aliens from another planet where hockey/baseball are played at a completely higher level?

Either way.

Votto has advantage in batting average, on base, OPS. His wRC+ is 9 points higher (165-156 from memory) so this whole mythical 59 homeruns slam dunk is moot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When there's basically no difference in WAR - as there is between Arenado/Votto/Stanton - I'd give the award to the guy whose valuable-ness actually meant something, which in this case would be Arenado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad