Confirmed Trade: [NJD/PIT] John Marino for Ty Smith and 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Damn some very salty Pens fans in here. That's all you need to know as far as how this trade worked out for them.
More like a couple Devils fans that don't know the word tact and call the Penguins stupid for trading Marino. I put this thread going down the drain squarely on us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Siegenthaler was by some metrics THE best defensive DMan in the league last year. At worst, top 5. And they got him for a 3rd round pick.

And the way Marino has played this year so far through 8 games, I don't know how he wont end up at the top of the rankings either. He has been stellar.

I don't get why that bothers you?
Players with good pedigree misused doing better away from the Pens is not news to me. I expect it. Good for John. I'm glad he got away from Sullivan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Damn some very salty Pens fans in here. That's all you need to know as far as how this trade worked out for them.

None of us are salty. We simply couldn’t afford what Marino brings at 4.4 mil. Your team can. We made a trade for a young player with upside and pedigree that fits a need and is contract controlled.

Typical cap dump for future deal contenders make.

Reactions: Smitty426

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Players with good pedigree misused doing better away from the Pens is not news to me. I expect it. Good for John. I'm glad he got away from Sullivan.
Apparently the pens defensive issues were not on Marino after all LOL...Letang Dumoulin pettersen and now petry
None of us are salty. We simply couldn’t afford what Marino brings at 4.4 mil. Your team can. We made a trade for a young player with upside and pedigree that fits a need and is contract controlled.

Not quite. Wasn't a cap dump at all. Was to make room for a " better" D in petry who turned out to suck so far....while Marino has excelled under the proper coaching. Look at the big picture

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Apparently the pens defensive issues were not on Marino after all LOL...Letang Dumoulin pettersen and now petry

Not quite. Wasn't a cap dump at all. Was to make room for a " better" D in petry who turned out to suck so far....while Marino has excelled under the proper coaching. Look at the big picture

Lindy Ruff being "proper coaching" is one of the least intelligent posts you've made and you've got a list of them.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Pens trading Marino for cap space was just bad cap management IMO.

They should have just not signed Rutta and traded Mcginn or Kapanen or something instead of giving up one fo their best D.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Never understoof the Petry deal. Guy collapsed without Weber, which may be coincidental because he's also turning 35 and the Habs were awful. I'm not sure what the exact cause was but it didn't inspire confidence.

I guess you get rid of Matheson? Is that the thing that's breaking my brain here?

Hockey Monstar

Oct 23, 2022

What is Marino bringing at 4.4 that other Pitt defenseman are bringing cheaper?

4.4 for a top-6 dman whos young, skates well, and is sound in both ends.. not something contenders normally ever trade away. It was a mishap no matter how you look at it (unless they win the Cup of course, then its null and void)

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Pens trading Marino for cap space was just bad cap management IMO.

They should have just not signed Rutta and traded Mcginn or Kapanen or something instead of giving up one fo their best D.
We resigned Kap. Didn’t even need to trade him. Could have just let him walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad