Speculation: NJD Offseason Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
What he is worth and what he is worth on the open market are totally different.

The reality is he is likely worth 8.5 to 9.5 but the contact he will get on the open market due to bidding is 9.5-11. There is ALWAYS a higher price to pay for talent on the open market. For a 26 y/o kid that is a C or at the very least RW 2 spots we are weak at. I would be willing to pay the extra amount of money it will cost because he's a UFA.

Last thing im worried about now and in the future is cap space, we have plenty and it can be managed just fine.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
so you think Stamkos is worth $9, others are saying $10

if he said he'd 100% sign with you if you just offered $10, you'd rather sit on that extra $1 million....?

that line of thinking makes no sense to me

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

if he said he'd 100% sign with you if you just offered $10, you'd rather sit on that extra $1 million....?

An explanation courtesy of Wikipedia

Everyone has the same salary cap. The way you win in the NHL is by getting the most efficient team relative to the salary cap. Now is the $9M/$10M divide a hill to die on with Stamkos, I don't know, but there very obviously should be a line for any fan (or GM).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yeah if we're lucky enough to be considered by Stamkos at 10m, we do it. no question

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't care if we do or don't sign Stamkos.

I mean, I don't think we will. But I'll be okay with it either way.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Stamkos might be my favourite non-Devil. I would die if he came here

he isnt though lol.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I haven't been real impressed with Stamkos post broken leg so I'm not totally on the sign him bandwagon but sometimes those things take a few years to fully recover from. With that being said, our offense would improve by leaps and bounds if the other centers could be slotted down a line. Kind of like the Ryan Johansen effect on Nashville

Group Chat Legend*

I haven't been real impressed with Stamkos post broken leg so I'm not totally on the sign him bandwagon but sometimes those things take a few years to fully recover from. With that being said, our offense would improve by leaps and bounds if the other centers could be slotted down a line. Kind of like the Ryan Johansen effect on Nashville

Stamkos at 10.5 to match Kane, NJ would already be that much better.

There may be other teams who come first, but NJ isn't that bad of a destination for him, all things considered. We have space, a 1C need, scoring need, and young forwards.

Contenders will get first dibs, if they can even fit him.

Group Chat Legend*

I think it looks bad if a GM with plenty of cap is penny-pinching 1M over a superstar hitting UFA at 26...

Getting Stamkos has huge impacts outside of his play on the ice, if some don't realize that.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
People look at the goal deficit and think we need snipers, but my take is that we need more playmakers and more skill overall. A Backstrom or a prime Elias-type would do far more for this team than a Stamkos.

As far as Stamkos, I just don't see him coming here in any scenario, short of egregious overpayment In which case, we are ****ed and Shero is certainly not the GM he says he's trying to be.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
People look at the goal deficit and think we need snipers, but my take is that we need more playmakers and more skill overall. A Backstrom or a prime Elias-type would do far more for this team than a Stamkos.

As far as Stamkos, I just don't see him coming here in any scenario, short of egregious overpayment In which case, we are ****ed and Shero is certainly not the GM he says he's trying to be.

This is my biggest problem with getting Stamkos.

This team has way too many shoot-first players and a complete lack of playmaking. Cammalleri, Henrique, Palmieri, and Boucher are all shoot-first players. Cammalleri is probably our best playmaking forward, but I feel like he's taken on that role out of necessity. Ideally, he is the one finishing plays off.

Adding Stamkos dramatically helps the teams offense, there's no question about that. Our cap situation, both now and long-term, could easily be molded around a big money acquisition like Stamkos, if done the right way. I just think he's not what we need. We need playmakers and dishing out 10 million to yet another shooter -- even if Stamkos is one of the best there is -- just seems like it would be a waste.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Stamkos at 10.5 to match Kane, NJ would already be that much better.

There may be other teams who come first, but NJ isn't that bad of a destination for him, all things considered. We have space, a 1C need, scoring need, and young forwards.

Contenders will get first dibs, if they can even fit him.

He isn't worth $10.5 anymore and that is what every GM worth their salt has to ask themselves. Is e worth it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The real question is if you think he's worth around 8 mil in AAV then is that 2 or 2.5 million the difference you want in having and not having Stamkos on your team.

I mean it's interesting, and since he's 26 and the deal can only last 7 years I wouldn't really mind it either way. Obviously if they sign him they are going to do background checks (hopefully they have better guys now than the ones who checked Clowe lol). But I have a hard time seeing him coming to NJ because the team itself is not very good and basically most teams have to offer a contract in the same ballpark because of that 7 year limit. I wouldn't mind either way as long as it isn't something too crazy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The real question is if you think he's worth around 8 mil in AAV then is that 2 or 2.5 million the difference you want in having and not having Stamkos on your team.

I mean it's interesting, and since he's 26 and the deal can only last 7 years I wouldn't really mind it either way. Obviously if they sign him they are going to do background checks (hopefully they have better guys now than the ones who checked Clowe lol). But I have a hard time seeing him coming to NJ because the team itself is not very good and basically most teams have to offer a contract in the same ballpark because of that 7 year limit. I wouldn't mind either way as long as it isn't something too crazy.

Plus he might be worth 8 million now and a lot less down the road. And we can't assume the cap goes up every year especially considering there'll be another CBA by the end of a Stamkos contract.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Did I say that? No. That's what I thought he was worth. He will obviously sign for more. Would I be upset over it if he chose NJ at 10 per? No but do I think it's overpayment? Yes, which is exactly what I said. I'll just continue not making sense though I guess.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Prying RNH means giving up Sevs ++
I have no interest from a guy who can't play a whole season, we have the with Cam but he did not cost us anything
Shero needs to make this an attractive place to come if you are a player. I don't have a care either way but I'd Stamkos came here and juiced the O it would be more of a potential for other players realizing Mngmnt is looking to compete

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
FYI I recommend everyone taking a stop into the CHL thread to see JQ's goal in the Memorial Cup. Wow is an understatement. Not that one goal changes anything, but his whole season and the way he plays. I would not be shocked if JQ forces his way onto the team.

Group Chat Legend*

Prying RNH means giving up Sevs ++
I have no interest from a guy who can't play a whole season, we have the with Cam but he did not cost us anything
Shero needs to make this an attractive place to come if you are a player. I don't have a care either way but I'd Stamkos came here and juiced the O it would be more of a potential for other players realizing Mngmnt is looking to compete

Its okay if you don't want a player due to giving up too much, but don't make stuff up. One injury ridden season doesn't make the guy worthless...

This notion has been a problem on HF since Crosby's injuries.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Its okay if you don't want a player due to giving up too much, but don't make stuff up. One injury ridden season doesn't make the guy worthless...

His injury history is a concern, especially with the numbers being thrown around. This blood clot issue is more concerning than his leg. We don't know if it is something that will be chronic or not long term (I imagine GM's will do their due diligence with this).

Group Chat Legend*

His injury history is a concern, especially with the numbers being thrown around. This blood clot issue is more concerning than his leg. We don't know if it is something that will be chronic or not long term (I imagine GM's will do their due diligence with this).

Was talking about RNH.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Was talking about RNH.

I thought Smitty was speaking about Stammer.

RNH overall has been pretty consistent in game time. My worry with RNH and sending a Severson+ package for him is what his ceiling is. He hasn't cracked 60 points yet.

Would he improve our team offensively and potentially be an excellent piece to the puzzle? Of course. But is a 55 point center worth Severson++? He is 23 so and 55 points is not a 1C, and I'm not sure we can expect him to improve on that at this point.

Doubt Edmonton would want anything less than Severson+ (and a good +)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Making stuff up?
No its giving too much up for a guy who has played 2 seasons out of 5
(Shoulder, shoulder, collarbone, knuckle, concussion)

11-12: 62 gms
12-13: 40 gms
13-14: 80 gms
14-15: 76 gms
15-16: 55 gms

And i don't follow his game too much but doesn't he have concussion issues? I am not challenging his talent, which is enormous. His durability is my question. And with that, I would pass on giving up Severson ++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad