Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I may be in the minority but I really like this trade for the Oilers. Hall was a spoiled brat and is one of the Oilers who legitimately held them back in a lot of ways. He's an excellent player, but his attitude throughout the Oilers' struggles was not good. The Oilers will benefit a lot more from this than people think, imo, especially if they sign Lucic.

Larsson is a fine top pairing d-man. The Oilers have more than enough offense without Hall, and shoring up their defense with a guy who's very solid defensively and a good all around d-man is something Oilers fans should be happy with. Larsson is no slouch.

Reactions: koyvoo

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
so you don't do the trade .... and do what exactly? Sign Demers for 6 million? Maybe he wouldn't even come here. Seems like if we cling to our players for dear life there's a good chance we don't end up with the defenseman we need. Larsson is bare minimum since he was top pairing in NJ at least, and has potential to be even better. Demers is sub-minimum, along with all our other options atm. So then it's another year of waiting around for the perfect deal

What was wrong with Hamonic + from the Islanders? Clearly they had better offers on the table? Demers isn't worth 6, but to Edmonton he is because they need to lure players in with money which is sad :handclap:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The only way Edmonton get Lucic is if they pay him 6 M a year which they are most likely going to do, otherwise Lucic is going back home to Vancouver. Even Lucic + Larsson doesn't get you Hall production over the years.

You're forgetting pulju

But imho you trade away halls offense. Get back almost halls offense. 46 points in 4 years. Plus shutdown defense and then whatever pulju ends up being.

How can anyone reasonably say they got worse?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I was irate when I first heard the news, but now it's a little better. They know they gave up the better player but RD for what ever reason is the hardest position to find.

They gave up top end talent from a luxury on wing to an absolute need on the most difficult position to find. All in all the Oilers lose this trade heavily on paper but they win it in terms of standings.

His contract is also MINT!! I agree with Chia when he says he is only scratching the surface. Klef -0 Larsson pairing could be huge for the next 6+ years.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I may be in the minority but I really like this trade for the Oilers. Hall was a spoiled brat and is one of the Oilers who legitimately held them back in a lot of ways. He's an excellent player, but his attitude throughout the Oilers' struggles was not good. The Oilers will benefit a lot more from this than people think, imo, especially if they sign Lucic.

Larsson is a fine top pairing d-man. The Oilers have more than enough offense without Hall, and shoring up their defense with a guy who's very solid defensively and a good all around d-man is something Oilers fans should be happy with. Larsson is no slouch.

You may call Hall a spoiled brat, but look at how the organization is run in Edmonton. You can call all the kids spoiled. When you don't win, what do you expect?

KreiderHouseRules*

I am completely dumbfounded how the Oilers would take on an inferior player in Larsson because they're scared of keeping Hall in West for Shattenkirk.

As I told some of the Oiler fans here, if Barrie was ever getting traded, he would be worth Leon. Defenders are just worth more and this just proves it.

Shattenkirk hits UFA in 1 season. He's likely going to NYR if he isn't re-signed by STL. They never would've traded Hall for a defenseman that can bolt after 1 year.

Larsson is at least controllable for a few more seasons at minimum.

It's not as bad as some are saying, but it's pretty bad.

NJD just got a lot better.

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This is becoming more and more apparent but in reality this is just a really lopsided trade in terms of value. Hall is basically Kessel last year (only younger, cheaper and better) in that Chia knew he needed to shake up the core but so did the entire league so getting fair value for his tenured forwards just wasn't happening. Larsson should be a legit top pairing D man sooner than late but Hall is a top 3-5 LW in the league. Hopefully Larsson pans out and ultimately the team makes the playoffs next year because you know a pissed off Hall will be getting his 70+ points and finishing top 10 in NHL scoring.

Larsson IS a top pairing defender (#2 right now as of this last season for NJ), played all the hard defensive minutes on the top pairing for NJ (Greene-Larsson) and against all the top opposition, and anchored the PK. Together they took basically most of the defensive zone starts when they could, etc. etc. Tons of minutes.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Man, what is with this guy Chiarelli and his fascination with trading elite young offensive talent? Like, what's his problem?

Sorry Oilers fans, but you guys got screwed over. I'm a fan of Larsson and think he can be one of the best defensive D's in the league, but his ceiling is low. Hall is worth a helluva lot more.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Vlasic. Elite defense and "good enough" offense.

Yep, I think a lot of people seriously underrate Larrson. They just look at the 18 points and think he has no offensive talent. The guy played 14 minutes of PP time over the ENTIRE SEASON on the team with the least goals scored in the league.

And although +/- is a garbage stat, Larsson had a +15 while most of his team was negative with some of them being as low as -20 or more. He did that while having the most defensive zone starts as well... not just on his team, but in the entire league. He had almost 100 more D zone starts than anyone not named Andy Greene.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
You may call Hall a spoiled brat, but look at how the organization is run in Edmonton. You can call all the kids spoiled. When you don't win, what do you expect?

I expect more maturity from the players in a difficult situation. Hall pouted the entire time. The locker room will benefit. Hall is a fantastic player, but I can see where they're coming from with this trade. They want a change. And to get a fantastic young d-man who's a rock defensively is something Oilers fans should be happy with... You're not going ANYWHERE in the west with purely offence.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Have the entire top 6 of the 2010 draft been traded before they hit 25? Has this ever happened before?

1.) Hall for Larsson
2.) Seguin for Eriksson and sadness
3.) Gubs for McCann
4.) RyJo for Jones
5.) Neids for Clutterbuck
6.) Connolly for Nothing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Hall wasn't runnign the scouting department, making trades or coaching the team

He tried his hardest on a terrible team, and management didn't do their jobs.

Now he's got a fresh start and an actual shot at the playoffs, which is nice for him.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
You're forgetting pulju

But imho you trade away halls offense. Get back almost halls offense. 46 points in 4 years. Plus shutdown defense and then whatever pulju ends up being.

How can anyone reasonably say they got worse?

Nugent Hopkins, Dreiseitl, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, McDavid,Pulju should be success right? We have no idea how Pulju will turn out playing in Edmonton. For the love of god just start winning so you don't get any more lottery picks :yo:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hall wasn't runnign the scouting department, making trades or coaching the team

He tried his hardest on a terrible team, and management didn't do their jobs.

Now he's got a fresh start and an actual shot at the playoffs, which is nice for him.

It's clear the character assassination of Hall is now fair game.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yep, I think a lot of people seriously underrate Larrson. They just look at the 18 points and think he has no offensive talent. The guy played 14 minutes of PP time over the ENTIRE SEASON on the team with the least goals scored in the league.

And although +/- is a garbage stat, Larsson had a +15 while most of his team was negative with some of them being as low as -20 or more. He did that while having the most defensive zone starts as well... not just on his team, but in the entire league. He had almost 100 more D zone starts than anyone not named Andy Greene.

Maybe this is true for some people but others have followed him since his draft year and know the narrative was just the same then: he didn't have the offensive ceiling that other highly touted D prospects had but he was going to become a very good defensive player. It's not about his 18 points.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was irate when I first heard the news, but now it's a little better. They know they gave up the better player but RD for what ever reason is the hardest position to find.

They gave up top end talent from a luxury on wing to an absolute need on the most difficult position to find. All in all the Oilers lose this trade heavily on paper but they win it in terms of standings.

His contract is also MINT!! I agree with Chia when he says he is only scratching the surface. Klef -0 Larsson pairing could be huge for the next 6+ years.

our D is better right now then it was 24 hours ago

we were bent over the boards

this deal could have been ten times worse then this

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Really going to miss Larsson. I think Oilers fans will warm up to this acquisition after watching him play some more. Underrated D-man, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his offensive numbers spike with some much better forward talent in front of him.

Still, very excited to see Hall skate for the Devils. October can't come soon enough now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->