Speculation: NJ Offseason Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
You would hope they have the stud D in Larsson or maybe Sevs down the road if he isn't already on the way out. As far as the talent up front, they have $30 million or so in cap space, they don't need to sacrifice Cory to acquire forwards. And if you are gonna trade Cory then trade Greene/Cammi too, either go all in on rebuilding (which they really can't afford to do right now after four playoffless seasons going on five) or continue the process that got started last year in building around the core that's already here.

And the Bruins/Kings did build around defense first (whether it's via a stud D or a stud goalie is kind of irrelevant IMO) and acquired the forwards later.

I think it's very relevant. They don't win anything without Doughty.

And no offense to Lars (or Severson), but they are not "studs". Good/very good yes, but I mean guys who control games. The Keiths/Hedmans/Doughtys/Letangs of the world.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

And no offense to Lars (or Severson), but they are not "studs". Good/very good yes, but I mean guys who control games. The Keiths/Hedmans/Doughtys/Letangs of the world.

I just meant from an overall standpoint it's a bit irrelevant if you have a B+ goalie and an A defense or an A goalie and a B+ defense. I don't disagree that having a defensive stud can be vital, probably even more so than forwards, but if you don't have that player then it's kind of more important to keep the stud goalie.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Letang, Hedman were not better than Severson at the same age...at least not markedly, substantially or anything like that...Doughty was in another category than those two at 21 years old.

Keith wasn't even in the league at Severson's age.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Letang, Hedman were not better than Severson at the same age...at least not markedly, substantially or anything like that...Doughty was in another category than those two at 21 years old.

Keith wasn't even in the league at Severson's age.

I like Severson quite a bit. I think his ceiling is even higher than Larssons but I'm not sure I think he has the kind of dominant offensive ability that those other guys have.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Really simple. You don't trade Severson for anything other than substantial overpayment. We are in no rush. Whatever player we would acquire for Sevs would not make us a contender immediately. Unless we are getting a prime aged first liner or a young 2nd liner with promise, there is no reason to do it.

We need a 40 point-ish dman. He is the only one in the pipeline that might give us that. 21 year old dman. TWENTY-ONE. DEFENSEMAN. They almost never hit their stride until mid 20s in the NHL.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Letang, Keith, Doughty, and Hedman are all at worst what, top 10 DMen in the league?

do we really think Severson is on track to be that? I certainly do not

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Really simple. You don't trade Severson for anything other than substantial overpayment. We are in no rush. Whatever player we would acquire for Sevs would not make us a contender immediately. Unless we are getting a prime aged first liner or a young 2nd liner with promise, there is no reason to do it.

We need a 40 point-ish dman. He is the only one in the pipeline that might give us that.

This is what makes me most reluctant to trade Sevs IMO...people talk about offense, offense, offense well you need offense from the blue line too. There's no real evidence Larsson gives it to you, at best he has Rafalski-ish skills offensively which isn't bad but certainly not gamechanging. There's certainly no evidence Merrill gives it to you, or Santini. We've seen a season from Moore and he's not that great offensively other than his random OT winners.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

We need a 40 point-ish dman. He is the only one in the pipeline that might give us that.

if Larsson got PP time, he would get close to 40 points. He had a better ESP/60 than guys like Shattenkirk, Fowler, Lindholm, etc.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like Severson quite a bit. I think his ceiling is even higher than Larssons but I'm not sure I think he has the kind of dominant offensive ability that those other guys have.

I think he does. Those 7 first assist at even strength Severson had are as good as anyone in the League. He was 36th in the league amoung all defensemen in 1st assist at even strength.

In my opinion, that is s real indicator of his offensive potential. That came while on a team that was offensively inept at even strength.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
You may be correct... matter of fact you probably are. But you do whats best for the franchise, not what the players want. There are no players on this team who command that kind of gravitas anyway. Schneider is the only one.

But I digress. I don't even disagree. It's just a thought. Because clearly they are not spending this year - they're more likely to be picking 1 than 30 next year, that we all can agree on. So next offseason he's 31. And from there it will just be interesting to see where it all goes. You've seen where the Rangers are with Lundqvist right now - but they were CLOSE in his years. Just didn't get there.

A trade was posted and I just said I would consider it. Cory had a great season and the team was entertaining until the last 15 games or so. And even with Cory's great season we still didn't make the playoffs. We are also not the Rangers, if we were I would never consider a trade of Cory. As for the Rangers, I'm sure after last year many in that organization would like to move the Kings contract, good luck with that. Also, as good as Cory has been, there are certain aspects of his game i don't care for. Especially, his handling of the puck. If we ever play in meaningful games, while Cory is here I would be a bit concerned. In saying that I doubt he's going anywhere for now.

Last edited:

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think he does. Those 7 first assist at even strength Severson had are as good as anyone in the League. He was 36th in the league amoung all defensemen in 1st assist at even strength.

In my opinion, that is s real indicator of his offensive potential. That came while on a team that was offensively inept at even strength.

The only real difference IMO is the skating ability. Severson has the mobility I think, but those guys can really motor with the ability to go all the way up ice and get back before you blink. They are special in that regard.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A trade was posted and I just said I would consider it. Cory had a great season and the team was entertaining until the last 15 games or so. And even with Cory's great season we still didn't make the playoffs. We are also not the Rangers, if we were I would never consider a trade of Cory. As for the Rangers, I'm sure after last year many in that organization would like to move to move the Kings contract, good luck with that. Also, has good as Cory has been, there are certain aspects of his game o don't care for. Especially, his handling of the puck. If we ever play in meaningful games, while Cory is here I would be a bit concerned. In saying that I doubt he's going anywhere for now.

What good goaltender is also good at handling the puck these days? There aren't many.

Price and Bishop is all. Is Henry good at handling the puck? Luongo? Rask? Quick? Don't even say Rinne, because he's just not a good puck stopping goaltender anymore. And Mike Smith isn't a very good one either.

All of those guys I mentioned are average at best puck handling goalies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What good goaltender is also good at handling the puck these days? There aren't many.

Price and Bishop is all. Is Henry good at handling the puck? Luongo? Rask? Quick? Don't even say Rinne, because he's just not a good puck stopping goaltender anymore. And Mike Smith isn't a very good one either.

All of those guys I mentioned are average at best puck handling goalies.

In a lot of ways the stupid trapezoid's taken away the incentive for this generation of goalies to learn puckhandling. It is about time for them to take out the trapezoid since Marty's safely retired though :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A goalie's job is to stop the puck, not play it. Cory is elite at stopping pucks, so I could really care less if he's bad at handling the puck. Besides, he has gotten better at it.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Go all in and throw monster contracts at Stamkos Okposo Demers and Lucic :sarcasm:

In reality I would target Okposo and Demers and call it a day free agency wise. I am very interested to see if Shero has any trade up his sleeves this weekend.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
if Larsson got PP time, he would get close to 40 points. He had a better ESP/60 than guys like Shattenkirk, Fowler, Lindholm, etc.

There is no way Larsson would get close to 40 points. He doesn't have that kind of offensive ability. His shot is not a legit threat from the point and he isn't the type of Dman that creates chances. He is a good passer and has good vision but 40 points is lofty for him IMO. All those guys listed are much superior in terms of offensive ability.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
A goalie's job is to stop the puck, not play it. Cory is elite at stopping pucks, so I could really care less if he's bad at handling the puck. Besides, he has gotten better at it.

He's worse than average. And it has cost the Devils several games. However, he's won the lions share of games. Just pointing out he's not perfect. And if his puck handling ever cost the Devils a big game, should we get back to big games, you will care.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
In a perfect world we come away from this weekend with RNH and Yak (various trades have been posted on other forums on these boards) or Yak and the 4th OA. Yes, I still believe in Yak and think he would do well in a different environment. Obviously this would cost us a lot but you'd be getting young guys that are known/somewhat known or a guy like Dubois or Tkachuk that would be a valuable piece for a long time to come. Again, in a perfect world we'd pull off a combo of two of those guys, Athanasiou from Det for Datsyuk's cap hit, Demers, and Okposo and what the hell, add in a Dwight King from LA (word is he's getting traded and he wouldn't cost much) and we'd be markedly improved and still young almost overnight.

Add: RNH/4h OA, Yak, AA, Demers, King, Okposo
Subtract: Severson, 11th OA, probably a 2nd or 3rd, and something late round to Det

Yeah, pipe dream I know but this is the time of year a guy can dream and it's not like we don't have the cap space :laugh:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There is no way Larsson would get close to 40 points. He doesn't have that kind of offensive ability. His shot is not a legit threat from the point and he isn't the type of Dman that creates chances. He is a good passer and has good vision but 40 points is lofty for him IMO. All those guys listed are much superior in terms of offensive ability.

then why don't they outscore him at Even Strength? :laugh:

again, do you think David Schlemko is some sort of PP wizard? a lot of his PP points were just pure luck or being in the right place at the right time.

if you give Larsson all of Schlemko's PP points, that puts him in the 30s. on the worst offensive team in the NHL.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He's worse than average. And it has cost the Devils several games. However, he's won the lions share of games. Just pointing out he's not perfect. And if his puck handling ever cost the Devils a big game, should we get back to big games, you will care.

Cory Schneider's puck handling has cost the Devils "several" games?

what? :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Couldn't that luck argument apply to Larsson as well though? Are his points actually a driving factor in play, or is he just in the right place at the right time? I don't doubt that Larsson's production would likely go up with PP time, but I don't buy that with PP time suddenly he's a 40 point player.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
then why don't they outscore him at Even Strength? :laugh:

again, do you think David Schlemko is some sort of PP wizard? a lot of his PP points were just pure luck or being in the right place at the right time.

if you give Larsson all of Schlemko's PP points, that puts him in the 30s. on the worst offensive team in the NHL.

He doesn't have even close to the amount of creativity or shot that any of those players do. Definitely not even close to Shattenkirk. How many opportunities can you say Larsson really creates? Not much, he plays a very safe game. He doesn't score many goals because lets be honest his shot is pretty weak overall. Guy's a stud defensively but he hasn't shown enough offensively to be put in the same category with those players. Not only that but they have produced for multiple years.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Schneider's puck handling probably caused 5 goals(that seems like more than actual but for the sake of argument let's overestimate) he'd still be in elite company in terms of GAA.

Schneider is ridiculously good at stopping the puck that I could care less about his few mishandles of the puck. Happens and it's annoying but hey he's still an elite goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->