NJ Hfboards Yahoo Fantasy Hockey (Keeper League Discussion)

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Hey Devils fans,

Not sure what sort of impact to expect from Hischier so I thought I'd try here...He's obviously had a beast pre-season and seems to have solidified a top-6 spot. Curious how you think he'll do and if you think he's worth the pick-up? He'd essentially be replacing Bobby Ryan who is a complete mixed bag in what to expect. My only concern is that he is a rookie obviously and on a team that has been offensively deprived. Although they did bring in some talent up front. Thoughts?

Basic points league: goals, assists, hits, shots, ppp, shp, blocked shots.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hey Devils fans,

Not sure what sort of impact to expect from Hischier so I thought I'd try here...He's obviously had a beast pre-season and seems to have solidified a top-6 spot. Curious how you think he'll do and if you think he's worth the pick-up? He'd essentially be replacing Bobby Ryan who is a complete mixed bag in what to expect. My only concern is that he is a rookie obviously and on a team that has been offensively deprived. Although they did bring in some talent up front. Thoughts?

Basic points league: goals, assists, hits, shots, ppp, shp, blocked shots.

So - you're talking to a guy who took him in this year's draft in round5, so take this with a grain of salt...

I gambled with my first pick last year and took McDavid, ... not that I'm even remotely comparing the two... but I thought it was a pretty good idea to draft talent like this in a keeper league. That might be different for a single year league that isn't planning for the future.

I'm realistically expecting/projecting something like Huberdeau's third season - a slashline of 15/40/54pts over 70g played -

But if the preseason is truly a good indication - my heart of hearts is wishing for a point-per-game. I find that doubtful - but if you put Henrique on one wing, and Marcus Johannsen on the other - that could easily be conceivably 35g and 25g on the wings and I don't think 25-30 goals is an impossibility for the kid himself.

He'll get 1st team PP duty, he's ridiculously responsible in all three zones and he is always dangerous. If I was looking at Bobby Ryan versus Nico, it's a no-brainer for me. Wear and tear is a concern as he isn't big - and I think the fact that he's centering the 2nd line behind Zacha/Hall/Palmieri maybe gives him an edge.

Because of wear and tear, I don't know if he'd get PK time, but he'd be lethal. Nothing in the hits department either.

Ps. I was firmly in the Nolan camp before the draft. I am blown away at how this kid's game has translated to the NHL level so quickly and seamlessly.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Can we change it so moves process immediately when waivers aren't invovled? I remember multiple times last year trying to pick up players to fill injuries and then not having them for multiple days.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Can we change it so moves process immediately when waivers aren't invovled? I remember multiple times last year trying to pick up players to fill injuries and then not having them for multiple days.

Free agent adds are always next-day. Yahoo added the capability to do same-day-add leagues this year but (checks commissioner tools in another league) that can't be changed post-draft (it might not even be changeable pre-draft, it might be a creation-time-only setting; whatever it is it's too late to change now).

Trades have to have a time for review (commissioner review or manager veto) to prevent the risk of people ****ing up the league with kingmaker trades. That's why trades take days to finalize. The commissioner can rubberstamp a trade early (which makes players available to their new teams next-day) - but that's often a can of worms, particularly in leagues where the commissioner is also an active player, that some trades might get deferred under the guise of 'Oh, I didn't log in so I didn't get a chance to stamp that within the first day, too bad you won't get to use your new goalie against me on Saturday as a result' - not that Sids here would do that, but even general approving one deal same-day and another deal one or two days after initiation, just by pure inconvenient timing, can make people get irate. "Why was trade-last-week approved the same day but mine wasn't?!" The safest, fairest approach is to let every trade get 'approved' after its settings-defined review period and no sooner.

Early approvals also screw up advance roster settings. If I set my rosters for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday games expecting a Tuesday-agreed trade to complete Thursday and player to not be lineup-eligible til Friday... and the the commissioner early-pushes my trade Tuesday... yahoo redefaults rosters for Wednesday and Thursday, which can cause me to miss player-starts that I thought I had set.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I get needing time with trades.

But for instance, I'm making a waiver claim that should process tomorrow. But that players won't be available to my team until the following day. That doesn't make sense.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
There's no way to change how Yahoo times its waiver processing. Waivers get processed at the start of a calendar day. Which is to say, a waiver that says it processes Oct 4, processes as an add on Oct 4, and just like any other add on Oct 4, it results in the player not being rosterable until Oct 5.

If this was a "Daily - Today" roster changes league it would probably allow that player to dress on the 4th. But it isn't, and that's not even settable at this point even if we wanted to.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Have too many RWs - Voracek, Tarasenko, Toffoli, Mantha. Looking to deal one for a guy with LW eligibility who gets a lot of faceoffs. Obviously Tarasenko and Voracek would be harder to acquire.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Something to consider for next year: a utility spot.

Anecdotally it seems like team schedules thus far have been very aligned, so a ton of days with one or two guys playing and other days with everyone playing. A utility spot would be nice for added roster flexibility.

Reactions: Scorcho

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
i have an embarrassment of RW. could use C/D/G lw if they have dual eligibility
Kane
Kucherov,
Oshie,
Laine,
Eberle

I have Monahan, Toews, and Kopitar at C. They are all strictly centers though. Boone Jenner as a LW,C but I don't think you'd be all that interested in him.

Also have Bishop and Darling I'd be willing to trade. Raanta as well, but I think he's in Boone Jenner territory.

Not sure how you're going to find a dual eligibility goalie though. :huh:

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I have Monahan, Toews, and Kopitar at C. They are all strictly centers though. Boone Jenner as a LW,C but I don't think you'd be all that interested in him.

Also have Bishop and Darling I'd be willing to trade. Raanta as well, but I think he's in Boone Jenner territory.

Not sure how you're going to find a dual eligibility goalie though. :huh:

none of those goalies are an upgrade over vas/heelyeah imo

but i could go for some toews, maybe for kane?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm looking to trade one of my centers for a LW (or someone who can line up as a LW in fantasy).

Currently, I have Kopitar, Toews, Monahan, and Barzal who are strictly centers and usually end up with 2 of the 4 on my bench.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Rough league. I post a two-shutout Saturday, elevating my SV% on the week to .951 ... and still losing sv%.

Price being injured/bad has been the reason for me having the worst goaltending in the league this year (really, who would have guessed that Price-Jones would be worst in league a few months ago?), but damn, when I even lose my GOOD weeks in net...

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Damn. Headed into the final week of the season I was clinging to the 6th and final playoff slot. And it looks like I’ll win this week... but lose my playoff spot. Team 7 was playing against team 5 this week, and I needed either 5 to beat 7, or 7 to absolutely wallop 5. The only thing that I couldn’t survive was 7 beating 5 by enough to overtake me but still allowing 5 to get enough points to stay in the playoffs. And that’s exactly what I seem to be getting.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
At end of the season we will once again review the league and whether we will remove a player add cap. (Currently at 50)

If there is consensus for a change, then i'll change it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->