Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can I ask you guys why the pro controller is a must? I was planning on just using the joy-cons since the controller is $70 and that's insane. What games is it really beneficial for and in what way?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Good to know thanks guys :). I was reading similar things where if you play it as a traditional system (on a big tv etc), that the pro controller is needed.

EDIT: What about something like this?

or should one just get the main switch controller?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Uhh, so frustrating! LOL

Well thanks anyway guys, seems this is a really obscure issue, google doesn't know either.

At least we can still play the game, just can't do any of the online stuff.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
when i bought it i had the pro-con, and then i returned it and i am KINDA bummery i did that, but, i don't mind using the joy cons seperate. so i figure it's good to have for having, especially Pro controllers, tend to go OOP quickly.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Can I ask you guys why the pro controller is a must? I was planning on just using the joy-cons since the controller is $70 and that's insane. What games is it really beneficial for and in what way?

I don't own a pro, from what i understand it is a more comfortable controller. But i have been using the Joycons separately or on the controller mount and it's been fine. No complaints. And i spend most of the time playing on TV.

Reactions: Pilky01

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Not for the switch, but figured some of you might have had the same problem.

I have 3 DS's at home and we hadn't used them since the summer, now that ultra sun/moon came out, my daughter went to use her DS and now it won't connect to the internet.

I upgraded my router since then, but everything else seems to connect with no issue, including a Wii U.

I put the password in and it goes to connect but then says it can't find the access point, even though it shows up on the list of wifi routers in the area.

Really frustrating, can't find a solution to this anywhere and it happens on all 3 DS's.

Anyone had this happen before?
There are different wifi standards and the 3DS may not be compatible with the newer ones. You may have to change your router settings to use type n or g wifi.

Reactions: Smash88

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Its not.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Good to know thanks guys :). I was reading similar things where if you play it as a traditional system (on a big tv etc), that the pro controller is needed.

EDIT: What about something like this?

or should one just get the main switch controller?
If you don't mind no motion controls/NFC reader the Nyko one or the Power A ones that are Mario and Link themed are pretty good. Just don't get the HORI one, it's very meh.

Reactions: Winger98

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
nintendo needs to be smart and have a DLC thingy for all the costumes IN the amiibo. this is so insanely nuts.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
nintendo needs to be smart and have a DLC thingy for all the costumes IN the amiibo. this is so insanely nuts.

Yeah, that is all kinds of nonsense to me to think that there are things in games that are locked unless I want stupid figurines. Honestly couldn't care less about Amiibos.

Granted, I doubt that I would pay for purely aesthetic stuff anyway.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, that is all kinds of nonsense to me to think that there are things in games that are locked unless I want stupid figurines. Honestly couldn't care less about Amiibos.

Granted, I doubt that I would pay for purely aesthetic stuff anyway.

honestly, i think it's just something you could easily stash into the DLC, and have people search for it. then if you want it, WOO, if not, okay. i'll admit, i love costumes etc and i'll always nab'em if possible, but i really got tired of the figurines (like a WHILE ago), some are nice, and i am not buying anymore - but it drives me nuts that they have stuff shoved inside them as exclusives. yet then - they just stop there. i mean a tonne of people flat out said if nintendo did Amiibo card packs, they'd happily by them OVER the figures (and the figures would still sell because of collectors) so you make MORE money.

Nintendo boggles my mind.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I have limited Switch knowledge as I don't own one. My only experience is from my friends' Switches.

From what I can tell, using the joy-cons attached to the "controller mount" (not sure what you call it - the dock for the joy-cons that makes them act like a traditional controller while your Switch is docked) puts them too close together for comfort for those of us with large hands. However, holding them one in each hand is more natural than you might think.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I've gotten by with the standard joycon grip but there's a retro minigame in Xenoblade 2 that makes me wish there was an actual d-pad on these things.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Surprised nobody mentioned the size either.

Personally, the joy cons are just too small for me and I don't like playing with them separately. I play games on all platforms so consistency is a good thing for me too. I hate having to re-adjust to play a game on a different system (the exceptions being VR and PC games).

The pro controller isn't as comfortable as an Xbox controller but its more comfortable than the PS4 controller IMO. It's got some weight to it and for someone with bigger hands like me it's a must. But it's not a must for everyone.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Luckily I don't have the biggest hands, so the Joycons are perfectly fine for me, it just takes getting used to. I've barely been using my Switch though because I've been wanting to put the tempered glass cover on it, but haven't gotten around to it. It's been recommended to do it in a humid/steamy room so that it minimized any and all dust particles in the room when putting it on.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well I just won the Mario wired controller in a Twitch stream, so I'll try that out and see if I ever feel the need to upgrade to the Pro controller.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Gonna pick up a new game today. Really conflicted between Skyrim or Xenoblade.

Skyrim has never grabbed me on any platform, but being able to lay in bed and play is an absolute game changer.

I have such a huge appetite for JRPG games. Never got to play the original Xenoblade and I'm definitely interested in checking out 2.

Anyone have any input? Really leaning towards XB2

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Skyrim has never grabbed me on any platform, but being able to lay in bed and play is an absolute game changer.

I have such a huge appetite for JRPG games. Never got to play the original Xenoblade and I'm definitely interested in checking out 2.

Well Skyrim is like 200 years old and Xenoblade has bigger boobs so....is there really any choice? :laugh:

Reactions: Lancer

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I've never played Xenoblade games or really been interested in JRPG's, but it kind of sounds like that's which one you'd like more. If Skyrim has never grabbed you before, I don't think being able to play in bed is enough to get you to really enjoy it.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have an unused Toon Link amiibo without its box. It was originally for a friend but that went south. Is it worth selling? For how much?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well Skyrim is like 200 years old and Xenoblade has bigger boobs so....is there really any choice? :laugh:

Going off topic, but comparing JRPG's and WRPG's it's always bugged me with the latter that they can at times put a ton of effort into face customization but when it comes to body models they make 1 male 1 female then stop and hit mass clone. Maybe scale the whole thing up or down for different races, but otherwise when it comes to body shape everyone looks exactly the same...which also makes it hilarious when you look at how some people mod their Skyrim :laugh:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Skyrim has never grabbed your attention because it's a mediocre game, and I say this as somebody who has put 50+ hours in the game. Its just alright. People put it on some kind of pedestal for no real reason. I beat all the main questlines and they all follow the same basic pattern. You join a guild, and with 3 quests you become the chosen one and complete a few quests to become head of the guild. Then there's the civil war questline which was bizarrely short, then the main quest which was alright.

If you've played witcher 3 and liked it (I thought it was good but really weak combat and level scaling hurt my enjoyment) you'll like this too, though witcher 3 I consider much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad