Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's incredible. Multiple playthroughs or is there just that much to do? I'm hoping to get a Switch for Christmas and that would be the first game I get, but I haven't watched any videos or anything yet since I want to avoid spoilers.

Just a whole lot of wandering and collecting in one playthrough, both before and after the final boss. I have no doubt that the vast majority would not be as enamoured as me with wandering around, though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That's incredible. Multiple playthroughs or is there just that much to do? I'm hoping to get a Switch for Christmas and that would be the first game I get, but I haven't watched any videos or anything yet since I want to avoid spoilers.

i've played it three times. it's just general, "hey i went right last time, let's go left." or "I went to ______" first, i'm going to go ____" first now. "or "let's see what i can do NOT doing this... etc. like ii'm GOING to be buying the game for christmas for my switch (I have it on WiiU) and doing it all over again.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
i've played it three times. it's just general, "hey i went right last time, let's go left." or "I went to ______" first, i'm going to go ____" first now. "or "let's see what i can do NOT doing this... etc. like ii'm GOING to be buying the game for christmas for my switch (I have it on WiiU) and doing it all over again.
Ive heard the only real difference between the two (besides the obvious control-scheme and portability the Switch has) is the loading times. Which is great at first but as you know playing the game there really aren't many loading screens. All that said, I imagine I would be doing a lot of the same if I were to ever play it again. I have a ton of hours into the game after beating the main storyline. I am really scared to start over again though haha. What is holding me back is I have the Season Pass and I don't want to be all newby again when all of it comes out. I really like my setup right now.

Also, I finally beat Mario Odyssey this weekend. That ending was so great!
Poor Mario and Bowser thought they both lost Peach because she was being super prude :laugh:
Also love how they really, really payed a lot of homage to Mario 64 in the Mushroom Kingdom area. Unlocked that skin right away! So great!

Fantastic ending and lots of things to do after you beat it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Ive heard the only real difference between the two (besides the obvious control-scheme and portability the Switch has) is the loading times. Which is great at first but as you know playing the game there really aren't many loading screens. All that said, I imagine I would be doing a lot of the same if I were to ever play it again. I have a ton of hours into the game after beating the main storyline. I am really scared to start over again though haha. What is holding me back is I have the Season Pass and I don't want to be all newby again when all of it comes out. I really like my setup right now.

Also, I finally beat Mario Odyssey this weekend. That ending was so great!
Poor Mario and Bowser thought they both lost Peach because she was being super prude :laugh:
Also love how they really, really payed a lot of homage to Mario 64 in the Mushroom Kingdom area. Unlocked that skin right away! So great!

Fantastic ending and lots of things to do after you beat it.

oh i know. i mean. theoretically all i need to do is bring my WiiU to my apartment. but i don't know re-purchasing the ports etc (sometimes). I'm going to wait a while on MK8. the extra Season Pass is a (sigh) though lol

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
oh i know. i mean. theoretically all i need to do is bring my WiiU to my apartment. but i don't know re-purchasing the ports etc (sometimes). I'm going to wait a while on MK8. the extra Season Pass is a (sigh) though lol
I actually like re-purchasing games on a different / newer console :laugh:

It gets me back into the game again and feels new. Even if its the same exact game. Mind over matter I guess. I got Skyrim for PC... then wanted to play on my TV so I got it for 360. Then they updated it so I got it for my Xbox One. Then the VR version came out for PS4 so I got that (and its amazing). Then they released it on Switch and I thought 'portable Skyrim? TAKE MY MONEY!' so I got that too. Then they enhanced it for Xbox One X so I re-downloaded it again.

Bethesda is really milking that game and I am eating it up. I am such a sucker haha. I own versions of Rocket League on every system too just because I love that game, its cheap and they deserve the money.

MK8 was the same thing. Loved it on Wii U and it plays great on the Switch! Just having a portable option sells me on a lot of games for the Switch. I loved DOOM also and may have to snag that one up.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
there isn'y any mario party for the switch yet. :)

Disappointing but thank you - I'm sure they'll release one eventually, right? I'm trying to justify the switch as a new console with "Well, Nintendo does great party games and maybe I'll play with the GF" but the main reason I'm getting it are two single player games.. Odyssey and Zelda so, it's just something I'm telling myself hah.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
it might be year two or three. depending. (they did have the port so it might be longer for MK).

all i know is when you start seeing things for Paper Mario it means the system is at the end :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
got money. got Zelda. i'm happy now.
Enjoy! I really need to go back to that game.

Im still running around the mushroom island in Mario Odyssey. Amazingly there is a lot to do there. Then I went back to Cap World or whatever its called and now I have a bunch of moons to get there too. So much end-game in Mario Odyssey.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Enjoy! I really need to go back to that game.

Im still running around the mushroom island in Mario Odyssey. Amazingly there is a lot to do there. Then I went back to Cap World or whatever its called and now I have a bunch of moons to get there too. So much end-game in Mario Odyssey.

right now i am playing the heck out of Fire Emblem Warriors... i should get back to Odyssey.

really bummed though that Amazon Prime reduced their preorder rate. it is kinda sucky.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
right now i am playing the heck out of Fire Emblem Warriors... i should get back to Odyssey.

really bummed though that Amazon Prime reduced their preorder rate. it is kinda sucky.
How is FE:W? I was tempted to get it. Last FE game I played was either on the DS or the 3DS very early in it's life - I cannot remember exactly which one it was. I never beat it but it was a really fun game. Always planned to get the new FE games but never did.

I would buy games on Amazon because I have prime too but I like having everything digital. Though with the switch I have BOTW and MO cartridges. Zelda because I heard if you lick the cart it tasts awful so I had to try it on day 1. And yes, it tastes like.... garbage. Mario was just an impulse buy at the store. I just like not having to switch disks / carts.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Random question: The switch controller that comes with the standard system; does that represent 1 single controller or is that two controllers? It kind of seems like one but then all the marketing art shows two people playing, each holding one "side" (IE, it looks like the wii controller, sort of). I'm just really confused because I want two for (what I hope) are some party games (like old Wii sports etc) from their online store but then would need two controllers so the GF can play with me - a "real" second controller is 80 bucks so I don't want to get it and find out it is unnecessary.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Random question: The switch controller that comes with the standard system; does that represent 1 single controller or is that two controllers? It kind of seems like one but then all the marketing art shows two people playing, each holding one "side" (IE, it looks like the wii controller, sort of). I'm just really confused because I want two for (what I hope) are some party games (like old Wii sports etc) from their online store but then would need two controllers so the GF can play with me - a "real" second controller is 80 bucks so I don't want to get it and find out it is unnecessary.

i honestly think it depends on the game you are playing. like for every game i played you need both - but to be fair i don't play with anyone else so i don't know how the second controller function would work. I think it would drive me BANANAS playing on one joy con.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah its "one" controller but can be used as two in certain games (like Mario Kart and Rocket League) when detached. Party games I can only imagine will work with one side of the controller. Giving you two to play with.

The pro controller is amazing though, I know you said you don't want to spend the $ on it but its amazing.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
How is FE:W? I was tempted to get it. Last FE game I played was either on the DS or the 3DS very early in it's life - I cannot remember exactly which one it was. I never beat it but it was a really fun game. Always planned to get the new FE games but never did.

I would buy games on Amazon because I have prime too but I like having everything digital. Though with the switch I have BOTW and MO cartridges. Zelda because I heard if you lick the cart it tasts awful so I had to try it on day 1. And yes, it tastes like.... garbage. Mario was just an impulse buy at the store. I just like not having to switch disks / carts.

I am really enjoying it. when you figure out how to use the healing and changing people (which they probably explain to you, but then you forget because you are like LET ME KILL PEOPLE) it's like wait what? so for the first campaign i was always the same people then i figured it out and now it is a lot more fun. this is more strategic (like you can tell people where to go) some characters can be killed in one shot, but some of YOUR characters can be killed in one shot.

there are a lot of "mirrored" characters like they have the same moves and combos.

I like owning the tangible, though truly i don't mind the digital. it was more space concerns for me to e honest. I did have the pro controller but i returned it (I should get it down the line though for thhose games that NEED pro-con).

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I am really enjoying it. when you figure out how to use the healing and changing people (which they probably explain to you, but then you forget because you are like LET ME KILL PEOPLE) it's like wait what? so for the first campaign i was always the same people then i figured it out and now it is a lot more fun. this is more strategic (like you can tell people where to go) some characters can be killed in one shot, but some of YOUR characters can be killed in one shot.

there are a lot of "mirrored" characters like they have the same moves and combos.

I like owning the tangible, though truly i don't mind the digital. it was more space concerns for me to e honest. I did have the pro controller but i returned it (I should get it down the line though for thhose games that NEED pro-con).

"LET ME KILL PEOPLE!" :laugh:

Thanks! I see its not typical FE and I never played many "worrior" games so this one is interesting to me. Good stuff.

My hands are too big for the shell / joycon that comes with the switch. I can make-do wit it being undocked but when docked I needed a better controller. The Pro is solid and just feels like better quality than the one they had for the Wii U. JMO.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
"LET ME KILL PEOPLE!" :laugh:

Thanks! I see its not typical FE and I never played many "worrior" games so this one is interesting to me. Good stuff.

My hands are too big for the shell / joycon that comes with the switch. I can make-do wit it being undocked but when docked I needed a better controller. The Pro is solid and just feels like better quality than the one they had for the Wii U. JMO.

i may have shouted that out loud when i was playing. that's why i liked the old Dynasty Warrior games (actually more because it had some sort of historical context to it for the most part) some games i'm all about the explore and the platforming and sometimes after a hard day of work i want to just hack and slash my way to peace and tranquility. :laugh:

the FE principles are there. like
if you play classic mode - if your person dies - that's it they are dead dead dead
they do deploy the weapons triangle - so Swords have an advantage over Axes, Axes have an Advantage over Lances, Lances have an Advantage over Swords. (magic etc is in that as well, i can't remember off the top of my head). Archers can KO flying mounts, Lord Class can kill dragon/dragon based warriors very quickly. and like i said you can move your people around so you don't (like Hyrule Warriors) have to run around saving all your useless people. they can actually fend for themselves for the most part.

i am really going to get playing Awakening (and then Fates) next year on my 3DS but i think regardless - i am going to get the switch version. i think if i play it it will set in.

I am happy with the games i have so far which is
BOTW
FE:W
Mario Odyssey
Mario vs Rabbids

I'll probably be getting Xenoblade (later) Mario Kart later.
I didn't pre-order Mario 100 (3ds, kinda regretting it now, but it sounds like fun)

I have Yoshi + Kirby preordered, will def. pre-order Octopath when it comes out (I feel this one might be an E3 reveal).

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Thank you both! I'll pick up a second just in case. I'm getting the switch + 2 games from my family & gf for Xmas so I didn't want to load them up with an extra 80; I'll just grab it myself.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So I want to get Sonic Forces if I get a Switch, cause I haven't played a Sonic game since GameCube. Has anyone played it yet? Is there any semblance of like a story or campaign kinda thing or is it just different levels?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Sonic forces from what I hear is a decent sonic 3d though that's not saying much.

There's a few reviews out there but basically all the complaints about the game are over the non sonic stages

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is there anything good to say about it? To be honest I like the 3d "non-Sonic" aspects about it. The 2d side scroller was fun but it doesn't really interest me anymore. @Pilky01 what was it that you didn't like about the game?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've watched some Game Grumps on Sonic Forces, and don't really have any interest. It gets points for maybe not being awful, but it also seems pretty dumb, shallow, and short to me. I'll likely eventually get Sonic Mania on either the Switch or the PS4, and that'll be the only "new" Sonic game that I've ever purchased (only bought a few games on the Wii's Virtual Console).

As for other games, might go ahead and get Mario Odyssey this week to have a brief break on BotW before the next DLC gets released.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I've watched some Game Grumps on Sonic Forces, and don't really have any interest. It gets points for maybe not being awful, but it also seems pretty dumb, shallow, and short to me. I'll likely eventually get Sonic Mania on either the Switch or the PS4, and that'll be the only "new" Sonic game that I've ever purchased (only bought a few games on the Wii's Virtual Console).

As for other games, might go ahead and get Mario Odyssey this week to have a brief break on BotW before the next DLC gets released.

when is the new one getting released, do we know yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->