Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't want to buy L.A. Noire for Switch but I know I'm going to cave. I'll probably end up buying Skyrim for what seems like the fifth time when it's released for Switch as well lol.

Nintendo really is going to make a killing just through selling older games on a portable platform. There are so many PS2 and PS3 games that I know I would end up buying if they're re-released on the Switch.

if they start putting Dynasty Warriors onto the Switch - or Soul Calibur games.
in like Flynn, y'all.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
F-Zero is most likely dead. The one on GameCube was unbelievable and it did not sell well (although well enough to get a Player's Choice edition). Do we have any idea how the recent Wipeout did on PS4?

Fire Emblem for Switch is scheduled to be coming out in 2018.

I only have Zelda and Mario for my Switch and I have to say, I am surprised at how "thick" those games are: I am in no rush to spend another 100$ on a new game at this time. Tons of indie games but I tend to get those on PC since I can get them on the cheap with Steam sales.

EDIT: oh I did download the Octopath demo. Maybe I should try that :)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
F-Zero is most likely dead. The one on GameCube was unbelievable and it did not sell well (although well enough to get a Player's Choice edition). Do we have any idea how the recent Wipeout did on PS4?

I only have Zelda and Mario for my Switch and I have to say, I am surprised at how "thick" those games are: I am in no rush to spend another 100$ on a new game at this time. Tons of indie games but I tend to get those on PC since I can get them on the cheap with Steam sales.

i agree with you on that - i should get the octopath demo as well.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If you're gonna play the demo, I'm just warning ya'll that you're probably gonna be checking for the release date at least once a day.

It's seriously impressive.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Compared to the other AAA and highly desired titles on PS4? Probably not that well...it's a good game, supports HDR, but as someone that's never played the PS3 versions, I liked the PS and PSP games better. The soundtrack isn't as good as those games either. Really wish there was a Bluetooth Negcon controller, it was a must on Wipeout 3 IMO, and I find steering by tilting twitchy.

I problem I have with the Switch...I don't want re-releases, thought we left that horse behind last gen, yet here we are with Skyrim, Doom, and LA Noire. I get it, new IP and games are hard and expensive to make, but it's not like Nintendo doesn't have the IP, and the sales aren't there for 3rd parties to jump on board. I don't want a Wii U 2.0.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
i am also wondering how long we'll have to wait for Paper Mario (probably FOREVER). and a Mario Party (and an actual new generation of Mario Kart).

I've been on the fence about getting a Switch, since Odyssey is pretty much the only game I have a lot of interest in. But if a new Paper Mario gets announced, and it's a return to the style of the first two Paper Mario games, then I would immediately buy a Switch.

There are two games that Nintendo can come out with that would make a system an instant purchase for me: a Donkey Kong 64 successor and a Thousand Year Door successor. I gave up hope on the former a long time ago but I still want to believe in the latter.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Compared to the other AAA and highly desired titles on PS4? Probably not that well...it's a good game, supports HDR, but as someone that's never played the PS3 versions, I liked the PS and PSP games better. The soundtrack isn't as good as those games either. Really wish there was a Bluetooth Negcon controller, it was a must on Wipeout 3 IMO, and I find steering by tilting twitchy.

I problem I have with the Switch...I don't want re-releases, thought we left that horse behind last gen, yet here we are with Skyrim, Doom, and LA Noire. I get it, new IP and games are hard and expensive to make, but it's not like Nintendo doesn't have the IP, and the sales aren't there for 3rd parties to jump on board. I don't want a Wii U 2.0.

When was the last big selling, 3rd party game on a Nintendo console? Or not even big selling, but well supported? On the Wii, games like No More Heroes, Mad World, Zak & Wiki, Muramasa, etc. didn't get any real support by people. With the U, none of the ports were big sellers, ZombiU didn't have a great attach rate, and then Ubi shifted Legends to multiplat because they were worried U owners wouldn't show up. And the ports didn't sell well, either, though a few of them deserved much better support than they received.

Clearly, I don't expect folks who already purchased a game on the PS4 or whatever to re-purchase the game on Nintendo just for their game company's sake. But there has to be at least a few who have owned Nintendo consoles instead of the others and who haven't gotten an opportunity to play these games. If Skyrim sells just 20K copies while over 7 million switches have been sold, that's going to make the console a hard sell to 3rd parties.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

apparently it sold 250,000 copies, which seems extremely good for a straight port with some slight tweaks. Probably not good enough to make a brand new sequel but not bad.

Although i will say I bought the game without having played the previous ones and it just doesn't come close to fzero gx

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I've been on the fence about getting a Switch, since Odyssey is pretty much the only game I have a lot of interest in. But if a new Paper Mario gets announced, and it's a return to the style of the first two Paper Mario games, then I would immediately buy a Switch.

There are two games that Nintendo can come out with that would make a system an instant purchase for me: a Donkey Kong 64 successor and a Thousand Year Door successor. I gave up hope on the former a long time ago but I still want to believe in the latter.

i haven't really minded the other Paper Marios. (like I liked very much Super Paper Mario, and Colour Splash was decent) - so I figure paper mario is fine... but im with you if it was like the original two, that would be such a swoon. but i think that (and Mario Party) has gone in a crazy weird "why?!) direction.

i never played DK64. i should buy that (and the other DKs ) for my wiiu before services are cut off which i read is sometime next year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Nobody should ever play Donkey Kong 64.

Without a doubt my single most hated game of all-time.

Now a return to proper Paper Mario is something I could absolutely get behind.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I started DK64 like 4 times and never played for more than about 25 minutes.

Unfortunately for me part of the reason I hate it so much was that it was a huge investment for me...which is to say it was stupidly expensive for a 12/13 year-old and it involved me saving up almost all year for it. I probably poured a solid 30-35 hours into that game, hating every second of it, just because I felt the need to get my money's worth. It'd basically be impossible to hate another game on that level again because if a new game doesn't do anything for me, I just move on. We can all be nostalgic about our greatest gaming memories, but DK64 is attached to all of the negative aspects of nostalgia for me (90s game cart costs, not being able to afford games, collect-a-thons, the N64 in general) so...yeah.

That experience is ultimately what led me into getting deep into JRPGs (tons of $20 ones on the PSX by that time, 30-35 hours would represent a 'short' game, and most of my friends were getting into the genre at the same time), which ultimately is what led me to sell my N64 (and all of my games) so I could get a Dreamcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I was only allowed to rent the 99¢ stuff, which meant Genesis & SNES games well into the 32/64-bit era :thumbd:

It wasn't until the XBox that game rentals became a way for me to play new games....which is probably why I only owned like 4 non-sports XBox games despite that being my primary console that generation :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
DK64 could really use a remake that allows you to switch Kongs on the spot. Will never happen because of the licensing issues with the game.

As is the game is a giant pain in the ass to play. Just go find a copy of Banjo if you want a 3D Rare playformer to play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
i haven't really minded the other Paper Marios. (like I liked very much Super Paper Mario, and Colour Splash was decent) - so I figure paper mario is fine... but im with you if it was like the original two, that would be such a swoon. but i think that (and Mario Party) has gone in a crazy weird "why?!) direction.

i never played DK64. i should buy that (and the other DKs ) for my wiiu before services are cut off which i read is sometime next year.

Honestly it might be better to just hold off and see how the Switch’s VC works. DK64 really isn’t s game that needs to be on the top of anyone’s purchase list.

The DKC games on the other hand are awesome.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly it might be better to just hold off and see how the Switch’s VC works. DK64 really isn’t s game that needs to be on the top of anyone’s purchase list.

The DKC games on the other hand are awesome.

oh i know. i have DKC3 on my Wii. i just never got to getting DKC1-2.

that's true there is the VC on the switch. i have forgotten

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I remember renting the Dreamcast a couple months before it officially launched. Blockbuster had some deal with Sega where they were renting out the system prior to launch.

I spent the summer of 99 doing any work I could to save money for the Dreamcast; and I did it. On launch day my mom picked me up from school at lunchtime (stuff launched on Tuesday's back then...bullshit!) and we went to EB Games to pick up the system, and extra controller, a VMU, Sonic Adventure and NFL 2K.

:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad