Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
After a week with Odyssey, I think BOTW is still my GOTY.
I agree. Odyssey is a lot of fun but there are so many moons around every corner that the game seems to just flow by and none of the challenges really stand out or are memorable. In contrast to mario 64, where I can easily recall many of the stars even though I played it 15-20 years ago.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Anyone else catch the Nintendo Direct this morning for Xenoblade?

I think I may be one of the few people looking forward to it here but after watching it I'm looking forward to it more now.

I probably won't be able to get it day 1 though.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I've never tried a Xenoblade game. Never before had a system they were released on. But Xenogears is one of my favourite games of all time. Even though I didn't care for the Xenosaga games I tried, I'm keeping tabs on the new one.

I might have to get it solely because the GOAT Mitsuda is doing the music.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I agree. Odyssey is a lot of fun but there are so many moons around every corner that the game seems to just flow by and none of the challenges really stand out or are memorable. In contrast to mario 64, where I can easily recall many of the stars even though I played it 15-20 years ago.
Well said about Mario 64 being more memorable and that Odyssey is just too saturated with moons. I agree with all of that. Hard to believe Mario 64 is 21 years old. My god.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Odyssey needs at least 2 more proper sized worlds.

It sorely missing ghost houses as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
God Sonic Forces looks awful. I am not brave enough to go see what the Sonic fanbase thinks of it. I bet they just love the avatar system.

Sad since Mania was really good.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Well said about Mario 64 being more memorable and that Odyssey is just too saturated with moons. I agree with all of that. Hard to believe Mario 64 is 21 years old. My god.
If Nintendo wanted to remaster Super Mario 64 in HD, I’d buy it at full price. That game deserves a full upgrade. Probably my favourite game of all time.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If Nintendo wanted to remaster Super Mario 64 in HD, I’d buy it at full price. That game deserves a full upgrade. Probably my favourite game of all time.
I think a lot of people would. Even if it was the one on the DS that was kind of silly but you could play as more characters and there were more stars.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
God Sonic Forces looks awful. I am not brave enough to go see what the Sonic fanbase thinks of it. I bet they just love the avatar system.

Sad since Mania was really good.
I have to say I'm not even a big fan of sonic mania (or any 2d sonic, just find the platforming too floaty with lots of running into walls) but 3D sonic is on another level.

I just can't believe there's actually a market for 3D sonic games. Who actually likes them? They seem like decent kids games but that can't be enough to make them profitable.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Anyone else play Wulverblade? My coworker has it for his Switch and he brings it in for his dock and we play at lunch some days. That game is so much fun. Hack and slash as these Viking looking characters. Really cool art style.

Reactions: Guerzy

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Wulverblade is on my watch list. If anybody listens to IGN's Nintendo podcast the one guy on there has talked about it a few times now. Too much to play right now, but I will definitely buy it when I see it go on sale.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I honestly like how Moons are everywhere. They aren’t the focus for me anyway, just a tasty treat st the end.

What I love is just the jungle gym aspect of some of these worlds, and how the game rewards me for trying to make crazier and crazier jumps, even if it is just a pile of coins.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
I just can't believe there's actually a market for 3D sonic games. Who actually likes them? They seem like decent kids games but that can't be enough to make them profitable.

I've always thought they were trying to be awful, or at the very least "so bad that it's good". It's that same thought process that lead to the recently released Bubsy sequel.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
What I love is just the jungle gym aspect of some of these worlds, and how the game rewards me for trying to make crazier and crazier jumps, even if it is just a pile of coins.

Agreed. I'm always looking to see "can I get there? where do I have to jump from in order to do it?"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've always thought they were trying to be awful, or at the very least "so bad that it's good". It's that same thought process that lead to the recently released Bubsy sequel.

The thing is it is clear some real effort did go into the game. Sonic Forces is a really pretty game. It just isn’t very fun. The gameplay is blah. The story is like a bad fan fiction that takes itself way way too seriously.

I guess for kids that is ok, but I don’t know.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I got my Amiibo cards (thanks @Pilky01 on how to get some) for Breath of the Wild, and I'm waiting for my SMO cards. this is going to make life so much easier from now on LOL.

i'm trying to branch out from just "Mario/Zelda" girl and try to experience new games. so in that end - is the Xenoblade franchise a good one? the new game coming out looks intriguing but i truly have no idea what s what (I only saw some stuff from the BOTW update)

Reactions: Pilky01

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I got my Amiibo cards (thanks @Pilky01 on how to get some) for Breath of the Wild, and I'm waiting for my SMO cards. this is going to make life so much easier from now on LOL.

i'm trying to branch out from just "Mario/Zelda" girl and try to experience new games. so in that end - is the Xenoblade franchise a good one? the new game coming out looks intriguing but i truly have no idea what s what (I only saw some stuff from the BOTW update)

xenoblade seems to be hit or miss with people. For me it's a miss, as I did not like the battle mechanics in the first one and haven't went back (but maybe it's changed). If you have a place to rent any of them first, I'd go that route before jumping in on a purchase. Surprisingly, my local library -small town and everything - carries a pretty decent video game selection, so you might want to start there. I don't remember, do you have a U? More likely to find games to play for that than a Switch at this point.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
xenoblade seems to be hit or miss with people. For me it's a miss, as I did not like the battle mechanics in the first one and haven't went back (but maybe it's changed). If you have a place to rent any of them first, I'd go that route before jumping in on a purchase. Surprisingly, my local library -small town and everything - carries a pretty decent video game selection, so you might want to start there. I don't remember, do you have a U? More likely to find games to play for that than a Switch at this point.

yup, a U. :) thanks for that.
yah. it's really weird how some libraries are so up with the times with video game borrowing and others barely have a viable collection of any media at all.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

JRPGs are quite the undertaking these days.

How do you feel about:
- Grinding
- Character stats
- Random drops
- Lots of story

I used to love them but I haven't played one that I really enjoyed since 2008 (Tales of Vesperia)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i am also wondering how long we'll have to wait for Paper Mario (probably FOREVER). and a Mario Party (and an actual new generation of Mario Kart).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
JRPGs are quite the undertaking these days.

How do you feel about:
- Grinding
- Character stats
- Random drops
- Lots of story

I used to love them but I haven't played one that I really enjoyed since 2008 (Tales of Vesperia)

i don't mind them really.I played/finished Bravely Default and really enjoyed that. Bravely Second was nice (not finished just with starting a new job, and moving twice in 3 months, haven't really picked up anything then i got my switch). i don't even know how i got into BD but i really enjoyed it

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't want to buy L.A. Noire for Switch but I know I'm going to cave. I'll probably end up buying Skyrim for what seems like the fifth time when it's released for Switch as well lol.

Nintendo really is going to make a killing just through selling older games on a portable platform. There are so many PS2 and PS3 games that I know I would end up buying if they're re-released on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->