Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Need to stop getting my Xenoblade 2 updates from Japanese twitter. Just going to be depressing once localization details come out.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Seeing them in stores is tempting, but I don't even know if I really want one anymore. I have such severe germaphobia/fear of dust/fear of fingerprints that I know this thing is going to turn into a nightmare for me. It's just the exclusive games that make me know I need it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Seeing them in stores is tempting, but I don't even know if I really want one anymore. I have such severe germaphobia/fear of dust/fear of fingerprints that I know this thing is going to turn into a nightmare for me. It's just the exclusive games that make me know I need it.

Then you should buy one, apply a glass screen protector, and keep it docked. You can insert/remove game cards while it is docked, and you never have to see a fingerprint. You win.

Reactions: Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Then you should buy one, apply a glass screen protector, and keep it docked. You can insert/remove game cards while it is docked, and you never have to see a fingerprint. You win.

I'm going to have to. Maybe the Mario Bundle, but it's just so damned expensive I fail to see value. I'll get one someday for that and Rabbids, and surely other games, but it won't be my main system.

I'll get a friend to set it up and put the screen protector on, because I'm honestly just too much of a spaz/klutz. It's hard for me to touch, let alone hook up electronics that I've spent good money on and care about, because I just get too nervous/sweaty/paranoid. I constantly worry about dust/fingerprints/damage and what gets inside.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Truth be told, playing it as a handheld isn't comfortable to me, so I've been playing it almost exclusively as a traditional console. Even if I take it with me on a trip, I'm fully expecting to bring my controller with it as well and just act like I'm playing on a tiny TV. And at least with BotW, it's considerably easier to control with a pro controller than with it handheld or with the joycon controls.

In BotW news, have almost the entire map uncovered, so might be approaching the end of my wandering phase and orienting more towards actually going after Ganon and the Divine Beasts in the near future. About 55 hours in so far.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i am probably going to have to tuck into a Let'sPlay of Odyssey as I don't see me playing it anytime soon :(

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm going to have to. Maybe the Mario Bundle, but it's just so damned expensive I fail to see value. I'll get one someday for that and Rabbids, and surely other games, but it won't be my main system.

I'll get a friend to set it up and put the screen protector on, because I'm honestly just too much of a spaz/klutz. It's hard for me to touch, let alone hook up electronics that I've spent good money on and care about, because I just get too nervous/sweaty/paranoid. I constantly worry about dust/fingerprints/damage and what gets inside.
Good idea. There’s no real advantage to using it as a portable over using it as a home console as far as gameplay and enjoyment go, IMO. Maybe I’m just getting old though. It’s just not that portable. Looks great on a big screen.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Truth be told, playing it as a handheld isn't comfortable to me, so I've been playing it almost exclusively as a traditional console. Even if I take it with me on a trip, I'm fully expecting to bring my controller with it as well and just act like I'm playing on a tiny TV. And at least with BotW, it's considerably easier to control with a pro controller than with it handheld or with the joycon controls.

In BotW news, have almost the entire map uncovered, so might be approaching the end of my wandering phase and orienting more towards actually going after Ganon and the Divine Beasts in the near future. About 55 hours in so far.

I don't have a Pro controller but I find Zelda controls really well with the joycons separated.

I thought I would hate the joycons but I actually love them. Such a comfortable way to game with them separated. I expected to rush out for a pro controller in my first week of ownership, but I've never felt the need.

I have such a big backlog that I've tried to limit my new games recently, but it's so tough with Golf Story and Stardew looking perfect for the console. I know I'll cave eventually.

By total coincidence, I'm off work for 10 days starting October 26th. There will be so much Mario.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Mario looks weird. Hopefully it'll end up being good. I wish they would've made Galaxy 3 instead.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Mario looks weird. Hopefully it'll end up being good. I wish they would've made Galaxy 3 instead.
Galaxy series is pretty good (and so is mario land), but I'm glad they are making essentially a modern gen 64/sunshine

Galaxys visuals still look stunning on dolphin with a resolution bump, those other two games have aged a bit visually.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Good idea. There’s no real advantage to using it as a portable over using it as a home console as far as gameplay and enjoyment go, IMO. Maybe I’m just getting old though. It’s just not that portable. Looks great on a big screen.

Definitely disagree with you on its portability. I play it a ton in handheld mode. Games like Stardew Valley and Golf Story are very good for short bursts of play so I just keep it in my lap and play during commercials while watching games etc. The system goes from paused and screen off back to in game action insanely quick too. I use it a lot more in handheld mode than I initially expected to.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't have a Pro controller but I find Zelda controls really well with the joycons separated.

I thought I would hate the joycons but I actually love them. Such a comfortable way to game with them separated. I expected to rush out for a pro controller in my first week of ownership, but I've never felt the need.

Man I've been saying that for years, going back to the Wii days. I've always felt there was such a negative backlash from the gaming community over Nintendo's initial 'casual' portrayal of the controls, along with the shoddy waggle implementations a lot of early releases used, that it never really got a fair shake.

I find if given a chance this setup can function pretty much the same as a regular controller, but it's much more comfortable not having to have your hands glued together.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Also y'all are crazy. BotW might not even be a top 5 Zelda.

I wouldn't say Crazy, BOTW is a very good game. So it's not too crazy it would be some peoples #1 Zelda game (It's #4 for me after MM, ALttP, and OoA/OoS)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
hmmmmm
see i love almost all zelda so i don't know what would be "first"
i don't think BOTW would be there though.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
So...I bought a Switch this morning (the neon controller one), I guess the appeal of my Odyssey pre-order on Friday was just too strong.

Also figured, well 5% red card discount at Target, they aren't going to get any cheaper in the short term, they'll probably sell out this holiday, and between the Target and BB discounts on the game pre-order, I saved $33, and this state doesn't have a sales tax either.

Haven't hooked it up to my TV yet, as a handheld, it's pretty nice, took me awhile to figure out that I had to link me Nintendo ID account with a new e-mail.

Any 'must-have' accessories to consider?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've yet to buy any accessories.

I'd like a pro controller eventually, but the joy cons work perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->