Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
so glad I saved playing Stardew Valley for when it came out on the Switch.

tremendous game and a perfect fit for the console

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Good lord, the Hero Mode for BOTW is unforgiving. Jeez. Why the hell is there a Lynel in the middle of the Great Plateau?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'll say this...another attempt at enjoying the Zelda series has failed. I just do not enjoy those games and I don't get it.

But Golf Story and Stardew Valley...those are games built for a system like this, I love it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I look forward to continued updates of Stardew Valley. The Dev is already being very communicative, so it's only going to get better.

Crazy you can't get into BOTW. I'm 20 hours or so into a second run on master mode and I'm getting addicted all over again.

I can't wait for a sequel, hopefully Majora's Mask style, using all the same art assests to quickly pump out a creative new story (to say nothing of what the DLC might be.....tho it's crazy/ominous we still have no real details).

I have successfully avoided A LOT of Oddessey footage. Anything new since the Direct with the dinosaur cappy I haven't seen it. But I have hear the Amiibo news, which sounds like it could be amazing!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'll say this...another attempt at enjoying the Zelda series has failed. I just do not enjoy those games and I don't get it.

Can you expand?

Is it the lack of story? Not hard enough?

I am doing my second playthrough and I am still utterly enthralled: the game just gets exploration down perfectly and that is definitely what I love most in video games.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There's just something about the Zelda games that have never been 'fun' to me, despite numerous efforts to like the games over the years. I keep trying, hoping that it'll click, but it just doesn't...and if it didn't with Breath of the Wild I don't think it ever will considering I adored Horizon: Zero Dawn earlier in the year and the games aren't all that different when zoomed out. I guess not caring about the characters or world plays a role in it, I just can't lose myself in a world I don't care about, which is a problem I've had with the fantasy genre (regardless of medium) my entire life. Oh well, this has been a ridiculously loaded year with or without BotW.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
re: Zelda: BoTW is one of the greatest games I've ever played, but I can't get get into MM at all. Haven't played Zero Dawn, my only worry, is that like TLOU, the hype is so massive, that I'll be very harsh on it once I do.

I just pre-ordered Mario Odyssey, for $42, with various discounts at BB ($5 coupon, gamer's club, and in-store pickup), has a Cappy coin as a bonus too.

I don't own a Switch yet, will probably get one at some point from Target (5% off with my red card).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Horizon Zero Dawn is excellent.

That game is definitely worthy of all the hype.

And yeah. Sounds like BLMcH "needs" a story to feel invested which is perfectly understandable: BotW is super minimalist in that regard.

Nintendo doesn't care about story which I find a bit refreshing with all the big budget games sometimes trying so damn hard at making them interesting when, to me, gameplay matters far more.

Great, recent example is Bioshock Infinite: a really cool story and setting but the gameplay was so unbelievably "meh" that I consider that game bad.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Mm, BotW's gameplay isn't something that I would call especially excellent, but the world is good and there's enough Zelda puzzle-y things in there to compensate. The combat still feels too bare bones on top of often just feeling completely pointless when coupled with the item durability stuff. There's no shortage of weapons to find so it's not a major problem, but playing through the game I've still felt on multiple occasions that all I really got out of getting side tracked and engaging with the combat was a broken sword or two and then a chest with a rupee or whatever. The combat isn't all that fun or satisfying to begin with, and actually costs me from an item perspective (even if I can easily make up the cost somewhere down the road), so you just run into situations where it's actually in your best interest to just not do it, which is kinda bad from a design perspective.

Also climbing is automatically the worst thing in any game that has climbing in it, and that only gets more true when the climbing involves a stamina meter.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I now have a 128GB microSD card for the Switch when it comes in. As well as a dock sock and a matte screen protector for the Switch itself. This bitch is going to be ready!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Horizon Zero Dawn is excellent.

That game is definitely worthy of all the hype.

I don't think I'd go as far as "excellent".

While the setting and premise are extremely interesting and the visuals are fantastic, the game itself is about as paint-by-numbers open world RPG as it gets...albeit probably the most polished one I've seen. The story also takes quite some time to get moving. I don't know if I've just played too many of these types of games, but I found it rather boring to be honest.

My wife is a bit of a completionist so I'm getting to watch the ending now. It's interesting.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I'm playing botw through now on master mode. HUD to pro mode. I only checked the pause screen map when I feel like going to impa and forgot my way.

Otherwise, love playing like this.

Master mode is not too hard, I'm just avoiding enemies mostly and being really protective over when I use my strong weapons.

A friend of mine got me FIFA. It's pretty good so far.

Reactions: Pilky01

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think I'd go as far as "excellent".

While the setting and premise are extremely interesting and the visuals are fantastic, the game itself is about as paint-by-numbers open world RPG as it gets...albeit probably the most polished one I've seen. The story also takes quite some time to get moving. I don't know if I've just played too many of these types of games, but I found it rather boring to be honest.

My wife is a bit of a completionist so I'm getting to watch the ending now. It's interesting.

As far as open-world games go HZD is one of the best ones. Combat is a ton of fun and exploring is solid.

The setting is also super cool even if the plot doesn't quite deliver on the excellent premise (which, to be fair, was never going to happen).

Definitely one of the best AAA games of the year: it certainly won't make a weary open-world gamer love it but that is more on the industry than the game itself I'd say.

I play very few and make a point of only playing the ones that are supposed to be the best. I was worried it wouldn't live up to expectations but it certainly did AFAIC.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As it is right now, BotW is safely in my top five games of all time, and even challenge my long-standing top two.

1) Chrono Trigger
2) Final Fantasy VI
3) Breath of the Wild
4) Link to the Past
5) Okami

Still too early, I know, and I'm not even remotely at the end game yet, so it might fall back out of the top five, but this is legitimately the first game I've played since the SNES days that have not only broken up my top three but threatened Chrono Trigger or FFVI's placement in my head. Just wholly engrossed. And hell, LttP was long my favorite official Zelda game, and I had always considered Okami a spiritual 3D Zelda game in my head, so getting past that is one helluva feat, too.

Regardless, will likely be a long, long time before I feel the need to get a new game, be that for the Switch or my PS4.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
BotW is officially my number one as it overtook Half-Life.

Not quite sure what my top 5 is but FFVI vs CT is one I could never settle in my mind: gameplay is CT but FFVI has just about everything else. Usually gameplay trumps everything in my book but I tore through FFVI as a 12 year old and boy oh boy did it hit HARD.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I now have a 128GB microSD card for the Switch when it comes in. As well as a dock sock and a matte screen protector for the Switch itself. This ***** is going to be ready!

Just looked up dock socks: that is pretty nifty! Will keep an eye out for one that fits my place.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
As it is right now, BotW is safely in my top five games of all time, and even challenge my long-standing top two.

1) Chrono Trigger
2) Final Fantasy VI
3) Breath of the Wild
4) Link to the Past
5) Okami

Still too early, I know, and I'm not even remotely at the end game yet, so it might fall back out of the top five, but this is legitimately the first game I've played since the SNES days that have not only broken up my top three but threatened Chrono Trigger or FFVI's placement in my head. Just wholly engrossed. And hell, LttP was long my favorite official Zelda game, and I had always considered Okami a spiritual 3D Zelda game in my head, so getting past that is one helluva feat, too.

Regardless, will likely be a long, long time before I feel the need to get a new game, be that for the Switch or my PS4.

which one is Okami?

I still don't have a switch (now this is more of cost (I have to move again so that's another set of First + Last), but i am excited to have Fire Emblem Warriors + Odyssey. I decided to just preorder the games and that way i have stuff when i do get the system. (i am contemplating if i want BoTW for Switch. I don't mind double dipping - I have TP for Wii/Wii U, Ocarina for GC/WIIU/3ds etc). but i am assuming the expansion pass won't carry over from wii u to Switch. which sucks.

the new Mario Party 100 game sounds interesting.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Okami is an exceptional PS2 game that also got released on the Wii and I think is slated for a remake for the PS4 at some point in the future. Can't recommend it enough.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okami is an exceptional PS2 game that also got released on the Wii and I think is slated for a remake for the PS4 at some point in the future. Can't recommend it enough.

thanks, i found it on amazon. i'll get ti and give it a whirl.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So apparently they stealthed in wireless headphone support in the most recent update. PS4 gold headset will work on a Switch when it's docked.

Also y'all are crazy. BotW might not even be a top 5 Zelda.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Also y'all are crazy. BotW might not even be a top 5 Zelda.

Legitimately interested which games you have above it.

But, as a Zelda fan, I can totally understand if other Zelda fans weren't a fan of Breath of the Wild for one simple reasons.... dungeons. At least so far, the dungeon game has taken an obvious backseat in BotW, so if you love Zelda games for large, intricate, memorable dungeons with great set pieces, big boss battles, and unlocking a final item, I could get not liking this game. To me though, the exploration, the sense of wonder I get wandering the world, the intensity of the fighting, and just generally the deep delving into the Zelda mythos are all hitting the right buttons for me unlike really any game to come out in a long, long time.

As for me, my favorite Zelda games are....

1) Breath of the Wild
2) Link to the Past
3) Okami (I SAID IT!)
4) Wind Waker
5) Link Between Worlds
6) Ocarina of Time or Minish Cap, if Okami doesn't count (which it does)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Legitimately interested which games you have above it.

But, as a Zelda fan, I can totally understand if other Zelda fans weren't a fan of Breath of the Wild for one simple reasons.... dungeons. At least so far, the dungeon game has taken an obvious backseat in BotW, so if you love Zelda games for large, intricate, memorable dungeons with great set pieces, big boss battles, and unlocking a final item, I could get not liking this game. To me though, the exploration, the sense of wonder I get wandering the world, the intensity of the fighting, and just generally the deep delving into the Zelda mythos are all hitting the right buttons for me unlike really any game to come out in a long, long time.

As for me, my favorite Zelda games are....

1) Breath of the Wild
2) Link to the Past
3) Okami (I SAID IT!)
4) Wind Waker
5) Link Between Worlds
6) Ocarina of Time or Minish Cap, if Okami doesn't count (which it does)

Disclaimer that I haven't finished BotW yet; think I was at about 60 shrines and had 3 divine beasts done. Haven't played it since Destiny 2 came out.

Dunno about numbers, but I'd put Link to the Past, Wind Waker, Link Between Worlds, and Ocarina ahead of BotW pretty safely. Probably a tossup at this point for #5 between Breath and something like Oracle.

I'm with you that the world is amazing, I just don't think it's anywhere near as fun to interact with as it should be just in terms of mechanics. It's the Skyrim problem except nowhere near as bad. Combat's fine; nothing amazing, often feels pretty pointless out in the wild. Lock on to something and swing until either the thing you're swinging at dies or the thing you're swinging breaks. If the thing you're swinging at is meaner than usual then you occasionally dodge and get your Witch Time combo.

Climbing is bad and video games should stop using it, especially if a stamina bar is involved.

Item durability is bad and video games should stop using it.

Inventory limits are bad and video games shouldn't have them anymore. I'm carrying like a million Moblin body parts and y'all are telling me I can't pick up another sword? f*** off.

The three "dungeons" that I've done so far haven't been all that great, at least relative to what you would expect out of a Zelda dungeon.

Nitpicky stuff like, hey, any shrine with a motion control puzzle in it is automatically terrible. The upside is that you at least have the freedom to bypass their stupid ball maze mechanics and just fling your controller until the ball flies to where you're trying to get it.

On the plus side, it looks great, I like pretty much every character I come across, and I think the storytelling it does is better than people usually give it credit for. I'm more interested in finding those Zelda memories than I am anything else at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad