Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The 3DS was half the price of a Switch by that point. Buying a Switch and a game will cost twice as much money as buying a 3DS and a game. Most of the zealots who can afford it already have one. A chunk of the rest of the Pokemon fanbase will have to wait and hope Santa brings it.
Very true but it's telling that almost every major Nintendo franchise (save F-Zero and Star Fox... And rumours suggest the latter is on the way) is slated for the Switch or already has an entry.

The 3DS is being marginalized by the market. In fact didn't they stop producing it in certain parts of the world?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Very true but it's telling that almost every major Nintendo franchise (save F-Zero and Star Fox... And rumours suggest the latter is on the way) is slated for the Switch or already has an entry.

The 3DS is being marginalized by the market. In fact didn't they stop producing it in certain parts of the world?

I'm not sure how the demographics work out. This is all pretty standard fare for popular hardware, though; something like the PS2 was getting Fifa games for however many years after it was well and obsolete because it was still the go-to hardware in Brazil, or wherever. There are 70-whatever million 3DS's out there. If they think there's a profit to be had, they'll keep profiting.

Ideally they'd just make it so that anything that comes out on the 3DS would just get a Switch version as well, but Nintendo's hardware decisions often make it so that functionality can't just be ported over as is.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Because I don't like Metroid enough to dig into my closet for my 3DS and I am not so obsessive a gamer that I feel like I am missing out on something. I have plenty to play on my Switch, I don't need, and I especially don't want multiple handheld videogame devices kicking around.

Playing Metroid Returns on the 3DS would be "appointment viewing" for me, and I just can't be bothered. I'm not spending good money on a game I will play once, probably won't finish anyway, and on a system I haven't touched in well over a year.

So why did you say it would be a must-have if it was on Switch.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think that the continued existence of the 3DS has any effect one way or the other on the development of games for the Switch. I really don't.

Nintendo has supported two consoles at any given time since the first Game Boy came out in the 80s. I don't think they are especially strained by supporting two now. The co-existence of a handheld line has never before hindered their development of a wealth of first-party games for their main home console; even the Gamecube and the Wii U received good libraries of first-party titles.

What will matter for the Switch is how well it is supported by 3rd parties going forward.

I just don't get why people are so eager to bury the 3DS line. As long as it's selling enough to justify its existence, why not just leave it be? It's not hurting and threatening the Switch in any way.

Besides, t's good for Nintendo to have a bit of a stratified product line. They're both handhelds, yeah, but in other ways they are differentiated products. You can get a new 3DS/2DS for <$150, while the Switch retails for $300. New games are generally $30-$40 for the 3DS versus $60 for Switch. Those price differences really matter for some people. And it's good for Nintendo to have a lower-cost, more accessible product line on the market.

Exactly.

The 3DS is a cheap Switch. It is perfectly placed in the market and has a ridiculous amount of great games.

People who think making games for the 3DS diverts ressources from the Switch aren't seeing the whole picture.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Because I travel with my Switch and like to have a variety of games to choose from.

I would consider Rogue Aces a must have on Switch, but I wouldn't buy it on 3DS either.

The only reason you haven't touched your 3DS is because of your bias though.

Nothing wrong with your position, just saying it because I thought you were arguing it didn't make sense for Nintendo to keep making games for 3DS.

But that's not the case.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i have to say i have both a 3ds and a switch - but i think depending on the game I don't really have any ideas of taking my switch ouside for general outside gaming (actually i don't even take my 3ds for that. when i leave the house i actually read LOL).

i hope that 3DS doesn't get scrapped. (or that it becomes hard to find games) as I do want to get the backlog i am short on (mario+luigis, mario karts/parties, sticker star) actually i think i played my 3DS more than my switch at this point (to the point where my poor hand finally cried uncle and it can't handle holding it anymore, i had to buy an ergonomic grip like 3 seconds ago).

i don't see why Nintendo can not continue to do both.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
also. i am really bummed that Nintendo is scraping virtual console. and that the nintento online is just gonna start with NES. AGAIN. like. let it go. you have NES on every VC, you have the nintendo classic system. can they please focus on trying to get gamecube games on the switch?

honestly.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So apparently the next game from Retro Studios could be Star Fox Grand Prix.

After a bit of a WTF moment I came around to the idea. It could be really sweet.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
also. i am really bummed that Nintendo is scraping virtual console. and that the nintento online is just gonna start with NES. AGAIN. like. let it go. you have NES on every VC, you have the nintendo classic system. can they please focus on trying to get gamecube games on the switch?

honestly.

Well they are making classic NES games for online multiplayer. I don't give a flying **** about online mutliplayer but that's still very cool.

They'll spend a lot less and make a whole lot more money by focusing on NES and SNES over the Gamecube. I loved the Gamecube but it wasn't much of a success.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Well they are making classic NES games for online multiplayer. I don't give a flying **** about online mutliplayer but that's still very cool.

They'll spend a lot less and make a whole lot more money by focusing on NES and SNES over the Gamecube. I loved the Gamecube but it wasn't much of a success.

it might not have been a success (I mean i can't argue that or what not), but they also had a great library and a lot of games people are dying to play. like i get multplayer online is this big thing (the only thing i care about it is for mario kart racing (if they had mario party online that would be awesome) and the Tennis Aces).

though to be fair, i'm just grouchey because i really want to play Path of Radiance and it's really looking that i'm going to have to spend 200 dollars on that stupid game because nintendo keeps retreading Super Mario 3 for the eleventybillionth time.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

3DS sales actually increased around the time of the switches release believe it or not, otherwise it would have been abandoned altogether, instead there's been a ton of first party releases the past year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
it might not have been a success (I mean i can't argue that or what not), but they also had a great library and a lot of games people are dying to play. like i get multplayer online is this big thing (the only thing i care about it is for mario kart racing (if they had mario party online that would be awesome) and the Tennis Aces).

though to be fair, i'm just grouchey because i really want to play Path of Radiance and it's really looking that i'm going to have to spend 200 dollars on that stupid game because nintendo keeps retreading Super Mario 3 for the eleventybillionth time.

Just emulate for now?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I played through both fire emblem wii)GameCube games on emulation and both ran flawless other than some very very minor sprite art glitching.

I recommend it. Don't need super high end hardware at all

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
So apparently the next game from Retro Studios could be Star Fox Grand Prix.

After a bit of a WTF moment I came around to the idea. It could be really sweet.

I am very optimistic about this. I hope/expect it will be a futuristic, high speed racer, akin to F-Zero, but hopefully less confined to tracks/ground.

An F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing with Spce ships and lots of non-Starfox characters. Maybe even battle mode/dogfighting! A well made Starfox online dogfighting game would absolutely help sell Nintendo online subs.

Darkest Dungeon is on sale. Can anyone please sell me on it?

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Darkest Dungeon is 100% grind from what I remember.

I did not enjoy it but if you are all about min/maxing and so on you will like it. It is also especially difficult if you are into that.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
i have to say i have both a 3ds and a switch - but i think depending on the game I don't really have any ideas of taking my switch ouside for general outside gaming (actually i don't even take my 3ds for that. when i leave the house i actually read LOL).

i hope that 3DS doesn't get scrapped. (or that it becomes hard to find games) as I do want to get the backlog i am short on (mario+luigis, mario karts/parties, sticker star) actually i think i played my 3DS more than my switch at this point (to the point where my poor hand finally cried uncle and it can't handle holding it anymore, i had to buy an ergonomic grip like 3 seconds ago).

i don't see why Nintendo can not continue to do both.

An awful lot of online opinions about video games tends to boil down to this:

tumblr_lwudgwhIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg

"The 3DS doesn't interest me specifically anymore. Therefore, it should not exist, and I will actively advocate for it to be discontinued."

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I played SteamWorld Dig 2 for an hour or two last night. Really enjoyed it and the digging is really addictive.

Played in handheld mode and my hands kept falling asleep...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
An awful lot of online opinions about video games tends to boil down to this:

"The 3DS doesn't interest me specifically anymore. Therefore, it should not exist, and I will actively advocate for it to be discontinued."
You're being simplistic about it. Most of Nintendo's biggest franchises have games on the Switch either out or coming out, including series that haven't had a console release in years (Fire Emblem) or ever (Pokémon). The 3DS feels like a third wheel and most of the future releases for it are just ports (that would be better served on the Switch) or smaller games that likely won't make much impact on the system that's already ran it's course.

The original Luigi's Mansion for instance feels like it wouldn't need to be watered down (and in fact would probably have improvements) on the Switch, but the trailer for the 3DS version seemed... janky.

The upcoming WarioWare game too feels rather pointless on a 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->