Nilsson vs Backstrom

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I've never really seen Backstrom play, but I thought I remember someone posting that Nilsson's numbers in Sweden were better than Backstrom's at the same age. But, I'm sure Backstrom was drafted 4 for a reason.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I've never really seen Backstrom play, but I thought I remember someone posting that Nilsson's numbers in Sweden were better than Backstrom's at the same age. But, I'm sure Backstrom was drafted 4 for a reason.

Statwise it depends what age you're looking at, see below for the stats.

League Year GP Pts

at age 16
Backstrom:
J18 Allsvenskan 03/04 6 14
J20 Superelit (SWE) 03/04 21 8

Nilsson:
J18 Allsvenskan 00/01 4 9
J20 Superelit (SWE) 00/01 18 36
WJC18 01 6 2

at age 17
Backstrom:
J20 Superelit (SWE) 04/05 29 34
Elitserien 04/05 19 0
WJC18 05 7 5

Nilsson:
J20 Superelit (SWE) 01/02 21 31
Allsvenskan South 01/02 14 5
WJC18 02 8 5

at age 18
Backstrom:
J20 Superelit (SWE) 05/06 1 0
Elitserien 05/06 46 26

Nilsson:
Elitserien 02/03 41 21
WJC 03 6 6

At 16 Nilsson had the better stats, 17 is very comparable, though I'd give Nilsson a slight edge due to a better pace in the J20 league and he put up some points in the adult league, though it's hard to compare Elitserian to Allsvenskan. Then at 18, the points are again fairly comparable, but I'd give Backstrom the edge there.

Though, this is not to say that I think Nilsson will be better. If Backstrom continues to progress as he has, he will likely be the better player, and either way while they have similar offensive numbers, Backstrom's all around game is superior, so I suspect he will be the better player. But I didn't want you to look like you had no basis for comparing the two ;)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Before even scrolling down I have the feeling our dear Nilsson will be eaten alive. The Backstrom hype is at its highest with the guy just getting drafted, biases ensue. I've seen some video of Backstrom and he looks pretty darn slick, he's also looks bigger on the puck than Nilsson, so I give him the nod there, Nilsson really needs to strengthen up. At first glance Backstrom, but it was only at first glance. We'll revisit this in 4-5 years...

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Backstrom may have AO...but Nilsson has Yashin!

But seriously, from what I've seen of Nilsson (granted on TV) he does look pretty damn slick in the offensive zone. Defensive...? Not horrible but not great.

He has some amazing vision on the ice though.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Before even scrolling down I have the feeling our dear Nilsson will be eaten alive. The Backstrom hype is at its highest with the guy just getting drafted, biases ensue. I've seen some video of Backstrom and he looks pretty darn slick, he's also looks bigger on the puck than Nilsson, so I give him the nod there, Nilsson really needs to strengthen up. At first glance Backstrom, but it was only at first glance. We'll revisit this in 4-5 years...

True, and I honestly wonder how much the people voting in here have seen of either.

The Assailant*

well its a hockey prospects forum...:dunno:

yeah but some questions/topics here are just too out there. I can understand asking who is a better player or a better goal scorer, but who will have a better career? :dunno:

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Caps homer in me says Backstrom, having seen neither to much extent. I saw one CSB vid of backstrom, and one full game of islanders versus the caps. Hey at least I'm being honest here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->