Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Soo Ehlers looks absolute **** out there atm. He looks bad.

I gotta admit I am dissapointed he cant make it work with players like Laine and Little, he is doing to much himself, and it doesnt work.
He isnt passing, which we know he can before certain poster come up calling him a bad playmaker and an unintelligent player (Keep that in the Laine thread please).

But as I mentioned earlier, I think his confidence is bust, people didnt bite, but I still think he got hurt by that KC move to the 1st line and 1st pp.

Call me nuts, but I think the 1st line have had a few bad games, stuff that would have warranted line changes in the past, but not anymore.

not even sure if it would help Ehlers to be there at this point.

I refuse to believe he is such a bad player, but he sure looks it atm - No IQ, no passing skills, cant take a puck to the stick, tries to hard, shoots at the wrong times, goes into the Ozone with blinders on, doesnt help in his own zone.

Maybe he needs to be sent down a line and taught to play smart, and defensively, and told to ****ing play simple and pass the puck - Kid looks lost out there.
Good post. I hope that you are right with all you wrote, because then it would mean that things can definitely be fixable. I have my own fears, but don’t worry, I will not start polluting Ehlers’s thread with that. I do understand what you pointed out here and it probably was directed pretty much at me.

Believe it or not, but I would like to really like Ehlers as a player, but with how things have gone it has been difficult. But I have to say that he has been pretty darn good when has got to play with Scheifele, just like Laine. And even if everyone can play well with Scheifele, I seriously doubt that there are any players that would fit better or even as well with Scheifele as these youngsters. No, not even Wheeler. Scheifele gets the best out of Ehlers’s skating and Laine’s shooting, so why on earth they should not play together? At least one of the youngsters and Scheifele. I don’t really even care which one would get to be it. Just stop toying with young talented player’s confidence, Maurice. In some cases it can be the worst thing to do to young talents. It’s the so called concervative coaches approach which really can do even serious damage to some talented player’s development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
he can skate but nothing more i say. he hasnt good hands and he cant shoot. very selfish linekiller. he cant pass beacuse of selfish and not skill enough to handle puck. why is the skilled Armia at the doghouse , been there so many years...what is wrong with him accepting that despite the skills he have a fresh would wonder...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It’s the so called concervative coaches approach which really can do even serious damage to some talented player’s development.

Ehlers and Laine aren't delicate snowflakes. I think they'll be fine playing with a defensively responsible 2-way centre.

he can skate but nothing more i say. he hasnt good hands and he cant shoot. very selfish linekiller. he cant pass beacuse of selfish and not skill enough to handle puck. why is the skilled Armia at the doghouse , been there so many years...what is wrong with him accepting that despite the skills he have a fresh would wonder...

Yet another ridiculous take that is so hyperbolic that it's difficult to respond reasonably to. A few games does not a career make, but I suppose it's reasonable to judge a talented offensive player over a period of a few games this year.

Look at his play and stats last year - it's not like he's peaked and is on the downswing.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The "takes" on Ehlers are so incredibly over the top recently that I don't even know how to respond to them rationally. Ehlers does not need to go to the AHL, and Ehlers is not a bad player - he's going through a bit of a slump as the 2nd line comes to terms with who they are. He's a very young, very dynamic, and very talented offensive player who's not showing up in boxcar stats, and is suffering the wrath of fans because of it.

He'll be fine.

Never said he should go to the AHL :) said send him down a line.

Never said this is the player he is destined to be, I clearly wrote I believe he is a much better player than this.

Im not to concerned about stats at this moment in time tbh - he had many games last season without pts where he looked really good.

But tbh, this season, even when he produced he hasnt looked as good as last season.

Im just wondering what the hell happened - And if it doesnt change, give another player that 2nd line spot, because we most certainly need more than the 1st line to click. - And atm imo Especilly over the last 2-3 games, Ehlers has been the killer of that line.

I in no way agree with mr hockey professor, and thus will not reply to him, but maybe a game or two with Joel on the 2nd would work.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Good post. I hope that you are right with all you wrote, because then it would mean that things can definitely be fixable. I have my own fears, but don’t worry, I will not start polluting Ehlers’s thread with that. I do understand what you pointed out here and it probably was directed pretty much at me.

Believe it or not, but I would like to really like Ehlers as a player, but with how things have gone it has been difficult. But I have to say that he has been pretty darn good when has got to play with Scheifele, just like Laine. And even if everyone can play well with Scheifele, I seriously doubt that there are any players that would fit better or even as well with Scheifele as these youngsters. No, not even Wheeler. Scheifele gets the best out of Ehlers’s skating and Laine’s shooting, so why on earth they should not play together? At least one of the youngsters and Scheifele. I don’t really even care which one would get to be it. Just stop toying with young talented player’s confidence, Maurice. In some cases it can be the worst thing to do to young talents. It’s the so called concervative coaches approach which really can do even serious damage to some talented player’s development.

I think he is a better player than this.

And last season he had good games with other players than Wheeler and Chef, that is why this not just slump, but bad play is weird.

His slump last season, he still played well.

Reactions: Ippenator

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
when i say bad i mean a player IS bad...when i say bad i dont mean last game or two.despite if some plyer can almost only skate as only skill it still can give somthing for a team, but things must be done right way- i dont understand when one players landmates jump onboards and tell all how good their landmate is and demand him keeroles here and there like if all playesr suddenly is a laine. lets face it. laine is like supermario and noboty else here is it. lets built it all around IT! he is the beast and nobody else. lets build it on knowledge and not on some fantasy perverty

thanks

avgard hockeyprofessor

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ehlers had a couple of good looks last night, if he converts on even one of them the talk in here is decidedly different. He has areas to clean up but it's not like his game is a total disasterl, I think he's due for a big night soon, maybe Thursday.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ehlers had a couple of good looks last night, if he converts on even one of them the talk in here is decidedly different. He has areas to clean up but it's not like his game is a total disasterl, I think he's due for a big night soon, maybe Thursday.

Ofc, some of us come off as dramatic, I just really want this team not to rely on 1line.

And atm I think Ehlers is looking bad on that 2nd line.

But yeah 1good game, not just on the score sheet, but a good game, would probably change at least my tone :)

Reactions: Ippenator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ofc, some of us come off as dramatic, I just really want this team not to rely on 1line.

And atm I think Ehlers is looking bad on that 2nd line.

But yeah 1good game, not just on the score sheet, but a good game, would probably change at least my tone :)
Well they didn't rely on one line last night, unless you're referring to Lowry's line.....:naughty:

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I see there is some "concern" and bad sentiment by the posters here on the Flashing Dane ? What I can see, is he's pressing to much, and making those long cross ice, panic passes, that are usually intercepted. I'd like him to hang onto the puck in the offensive zone, and use his speed and shiftiness, and wait for a guy to get open, that's positioned in a much better area to score, then pass it off.

With the talent Ehlers has, I wouldn't be to worried about him, as he'll put it together, and all players go thru little slumps. Also Nik's father is a hockey coach, and I'm sure he gives him great advice, along with Maurice.

I believe he had an assist last night, and he broke in on goal, but missed with a hard slap shot. If he would have scored, we'd all be talking about how great he played !!!:cool:

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
when i say bad i mean a player IS bad...when i say bad i dont mean last game or two.

Based on this, I challenge your "Professorial" tenure. Ehlers is in no way, shape, or form a bad player. He is a young, offensively talented player who has shown a proclivity to score, AND has shown he is a good play-maker as well. If you don't see this, then I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

There is a difference between players suffering droughts or having a tough spell, versus a player being "bad". Ehlers is not "bad".

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Based on this, I challenge your "Professorial" tenure. Ehlers is in no way, shape, or form a bad player. He is a young, offensively talented player who has shown a proclivity to score, AND has shown he is a good play-maker as well. If you don't see this, then I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

There is a difference between players suffering droughts or having a tough spell, versus a player being "bad". Ehlers is not "bad".

I feel like you're in for a lot of frustration thinking you might actually get a coherent discussion with some of the new "experts" that have joined the board.

Good luck!

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
"Based on this, I challenge your "Professorial" tenure. Ehlers is in no way, shape, or form a bad player. He is a young, offensively talented player who has shown a proclivity to score, AND has shown he is a good play-maker as well. If you don't see this, then I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

There is a difference between players suffering droughts or having a tough spell, versus a player being "bad". Ehlers is not "bad". "

please understand that Ehlers is getting still alot of icetime and therefor getting Points. im sure many would here say hes not good if playd like armia and gettied really low amount of Points DUE TO VERY VERY LIMITED ICETIME!

getting to play with 3rd fourth line with very Little amount of icetime = very very few Points if not lucky. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
"Based on this, I challenge your "Professorial" tenure. Ehlers is in no way, shape, or form a bad player. He is a young, offensively talented player who has shown a proclivity to score, AND has shown he is a good play-maker as well. If you don't see this, then I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

There is a difference between players suffering droughts or having a tough spell, versus a player being "bad". Ehlers is not "bad". "

please understand that Ehlers is getting still alot of icetime and therefor getting Points. im sure many would here say hes not good if playd like armia and gettied really low amount of Points DUE TO VERY VERY LIMITED ICETIME!

getting to play with 3rd fourth line with very Little amount of icetime = very very few Points if not lucky. [mod]
Ehlers Got 14 min last game is that much? I dont know if you know this but Ehlers and Armia actully have Some chemistry...in Ehlers rookie season the line of ehlers, Perreault and Armia was great.. I would not mind to See that line again but I Know I wont happen Because Perreault is a winger now. But it dont matter what I say because Ehlers is not born in the right country ;) I bet if he was you would write all you are writing about Laine and Armia... just with Ehlers insted ;) Sebastian Aho ;)

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Ehlers scored more points in his rookie season alone than armia has in his career. You can't be serious rn lol

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
I haven't been able to follow the Jets closely this year - last year I saw almost every game - I hate my new work! :laugh:

On topic: How is Ehlers doing this season? I only get a chance to watch the game highlights and go through the box score. Ehlers was more present on the scoresheet at the beginning of the season than now.

Is he getting scoring chances, does his line click (not sure I like Brian Little as his C), any other observations?

I expected him to get 70+ points this season. He's on pace for 56 points.

Oh, and a HUGE congrats to all of you Jets fans on the teams succes! It's awesome to see how well the boys are doing! :towel:

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I haven't been able to follow the Jets closely this year - last year I saw almost every game - I hate my new work! :laugh:

On topic: How is Ehlers doing this season? I only get a chance to watch the game highlights and go through the box score. Ehlers was more present on the scoresheet at the beginning of the season than now.

Is he getting scoring chances, does his line click (not sure I like Brian Little as his C), any other observations?

I expected him to get 70+ points this season. He's on pace for 56 points.

Oh, and a HUGE congrats to all of you Jets fans on the teams succes! It's awesome to see how well the boys are doing! :towel:

He is in a bit of a cold streak at the moment. The 2nd line hasn't shown much chemistry unfortunately but looked slightly better in the last game imo. He is still getting chances which is good but everything else just looks slightly off. There is no question my mind that he will pick it back up soon enough.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
He is in a bit of a cold streak at the moment. The 2nd line hasn't shown much chemistry unfortunately but looked slightly better in the last game imo. He is still getting chances which is good but everything else just looks slightly off. There is no question my mind that he will pick it back up soon enough.

I see it as him--and also any other wingers who might be on that line--rounding out their repertoires. Learning to play a different kind of O-zone game from Schiefele's stick-check-and-teleport-to-the-slot.

Learning curve, but they'll be better for it. Especially if they can learn a different D-zone game from Scheifele and Wheeler's.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I see it as him--and also any other wingers who might be on that line--rounding out their repertoires. Learning to play a different kind of O-zone game from Schiefele's stick-check-and-teleport-to-the-slot.

Learning curve, but they'll be better for it. Especially if they can learn a different D-zone game from Scheifele and Wheeler's.

I completely agree. My issue is that I think Ehls was playing a better two way game in the beginning of the season. I was very impressed with his defensive stick in the first 10 games or so but now it feels like he has regressed a bit. It might be that he's got in his own head a bit because the pts drying up but he seems to be cheating a bit offensively and I think that is bringing his overall game down a bit.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Any idea whats up with our boy?

He just is not improving, looked sharp to begin the season.
Has looked close to really bad for a long stretch now.

Any takes on what it is?

Is he not the player we thought? Is he in his own head, something that started with the demotion?

I mean he is just not looking like a smart player out there, and we cant blame the line.

I dont think he will get above 50pts if this continues.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Any idea whats up with our boy?

He just is not improving, looked sharp to begin the season.
Has looked close to really bad for a long stretch now.

Any takes on what it is?

Is he not the player we thought? Is he in his own head, something that started with the demotion?

I mean he is just not looking like a smart player out there, and we cant blame the line.

I dont think he will get above 50pts if this continues.

Be patient, I am pretty confident he will return to form and there is still a ton of games to play.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ehlers is at his best when he’s using his speed to get on forecheck, control the play and find his line mates. His solo efforts skating into triple coverage that just create turnovers is killing their line’s productivity.

Needs to put his work boots on.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->