Nikolaj Ehlers - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
At the draft, the analysts said that Nylander and Ehlers were pretty much on par and played a similar style (in comparison to Nick Ritchie). I think Ehlers has more of a rugged edge to his skill than Nylander (who is more a pure finesse player). However, both are much better than that hulking beast Ritchie.

If im not mistaken Button gave ehlers IQ a 5/5 at the draft. Think willy was 4 or 5 aswell.

Just do not get the no hockey IQ, he is all smarts.

Last edited:

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
To me it seems that only Ehlers and Enstrom can find Laine on the right spot. Maybe Maurice should move Nik to D (he can't be worce than Stuart or other bottom pairing plugs) :D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If im not mistaken Button gave ehlers IQ a 5/5 at the draft. Think willy was 4 or 5 aswell.

Scouts constantly mentioned his IQ, vision, hockey sense before the draft.

Have a look (@2:10 Oilers' scout raves about his hockey sense).

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Just saw the Ehlers interview after the leafs game.

"we're not just playing for ourselves, playING for the city of Winnipeg and all the fans that come and support us every single game."

Love this kid.

He got quite a bit bigger in the offsets on too.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
To me it seems that only Ehlers and Enstrom can find Laine on the right spot. Maybe Maurice should move Nik to D (he can't be worce than Stuart or other bottom pairing plugs) :D

No kidding. If Myers and Buff would rather fire from the point into a crowd of bodies than feeding Laine at the other point, there are options. Buff, go stand in front of the net please. Myers, we'd like to try Morrissey in your spot on the PP thanks.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Actually saw a few leaf posters say Ehlers had low hockey IQ, and that he was not a smart player in their GDT, last night :laugh:

Of course. There's the Ehlers vrs. Nylander and Laine vrs. Matthews rivalries that always bring up dumb stuff like that.

Heck, during the WHC they had fans saying that Laine should start in the A lol.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
No kidding. If Myers and Buff would rather fire from the point into a crowd of bodies than feeding Laine at the other point, there are options. Buff, go stand in front of the net please. Myers, we'd like to try Morrissey in your spot on the PP thanks.

I was losing my mind for a few games trying to figure out why they were not focusing on trying to get Laine his shot from the circle. Sure enough, Ehlers sets him up in that spot to tie the game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Anyone who makes that claim doesn't understand the game. Nik is a very smart player.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Just saw the Ehlers interview after the leafs game.

"we're not just playing for ourselves, playING for the city of Winnipeg and all the fans that come and support us every single game."

Love this kid.

He got quite a bit bigger in the offsets on too.

Ehlers allowed Laine that gift wrapped opportunity to score with that pass because Ehlers promised it to Laine.

Ehlers unselfish act proves he values his team and mates before his stats.

I hope that no teammate of Laine on our Jets ever decides not to pass to Laine one fateful day for the fact he feels that Laine gets to much Thunder.

Ehlers chose to do that unselfish act and keep his promise so every teammate of his should follow his lead.....never ever being selfish but only giving and trying to fulfill every promise made.

What a player Ehlers is, what a man!

Cheers

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ehlers having no hockey IQ is clearly the observation of the optically challenged.

If they aren't, they should start watching hockey.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
Nah, it's more like a compliment from them,
like Laine is barely fit to play AHL and Scheif was dragging Matthews & McDavid down in WC... :rolleyes:

They only trash the great ones

Yeah, it really feels sweet to read that thread of theirs when they were still leading and trashing Laine and saying that he should go to the AHL, Ehlers having zero hockey sense and Scheifele not being a true 1C. Then after that we have Laine score the hatty, Ehlers with that fake shot and pass and Sheif with a 3-point-night. :)

Ehlers is not only a great hockey player but also seems to have a great personality and puts the team first. A great guy!

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah, it really feels sweet to read that thread of theirs when they were still leading and trashing Laine and saying that he should go to the AHL, Ehlers having zero hockey sense and Scheifele not being a true 1C. Then after that we have Laine score the hatty, Ehlers with that fake shot and pass and Sheif with a 3-point-night. :)

Ehlers is not only a great hockey player but also seems to have a great personality and puts the team first. A great guy!

And if anyone remembers his father's interview last year when he was in town to watch his son, he made a point of stressing that the Jets were doing the right thing by being patient and building a good base for his son to develop on. THAT is a knowledgeable hockey father.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I don't watch junior.

I watched him live in a playoff game that had to be rescheduled to Fredericton. I knew then he would make the Jets in the next season for the whole season. He was a level above everyone else on the ice.

I'm pretty sure that was the playoffs he lead in goals despite his team only playing two series :laugh:

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

I am a Hfx Mooseheads season ticket holder and got to watch him here for two magical seasons (including one with Jonathan Drouin and Timo Meier ). He was an instant fan favourite. Really great kid. Only player I ever saw to get a star of the game and skate to the *opposite* end of the ice to throw his towel to a fan. Lots of stories like that here in Halifax.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It's killing me to see Ehlers with Stafford. Makes the rush much less dangerous when one of the wingers can't keep up or make a pass. Was so excited for him to start on the top line and have a breakout season. Now it's just meh...

I think you can pair him with pretty much anyone but Stafford, Burmi, Thorbs and Lowry... But why put him in a position to succeed :shakehead

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's killing me to see Ehlers with Stafford. Makes the rush much less dangerous when one of the wingers can't keep up or make a pass. Was so excited for him to start on the top line and have a breakout season. Now it's just meh...

I think you can pair him with pretty much anyone but Stafford, Burmi, Thorbs and Lowry... But why put him in a position to succeed :shakehead

I still think him and Laine would be fireworks.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
or a top six (in no order)

Stafford - MP - Wheeler
Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers

... not saying it is optimal. We miss Little...

That's exactly the problem

I happen to think this top 6 looks excellent:
Perreault Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Little Ehlers

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Laine and Ehlers need to be together.
Connor should be on a line with Wheeler

Laine wheeler scheif and Ehlers on and who ever as D on the power play

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Unfortunately that will probably cause a top line of:
Stafford-Scheifele-Wheeler
Yuk

That's okay for the time being til Connor is ready for top 6
Play

LSE is our future number 1 line. Let's get that chemistry going. Stop wasting time trying to fill the gaps by hurting our top line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad