Nikolai Zherdev and Tuomo Ruutu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
This isn't a "vs" thread, althought I would like to know the general opinion on these two players. They both ended up in my pool and I wonder if I've been guilty of overhyping prospects or if these two are expected to have breakthrought seasons. I remember they were both highly regarded two years ago, but with the lockout and all, they kind of went under my radar. Any thoughts?

Transported Upstater

Goldthorpe said:
This isn't a "vs" thread, althought I would like to know the general opinion on these two players. They both ended up in my pool and I wonder if I've been guilty of overhyping prospects or if these two are expected to have breakthrought seasons. I remember they were both highly regarded two years ago, but with the lockout and all, they kind of went under my radar. Any thoughts?

To me (flame away if you like), Zherdev is in many ways what people think of when the "typical" Russian hockey player is mentioned...His skating is excellent, he has a cannon of a shot and the ability to create for himself, his puck skills and passing are top-notch. Zherdev was arguably the most offensively talented player in an absolutely loaded 2003 draft class.

Ruutu is more well-rounded IMO.
He did score that awesome goal against the US (I think) in the 2004 World Cup as well...

Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't seen either player play more than a few times.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
The comparison's of Ruutu to Forsberg are dead on. He looks like a young Forsberg out there. Thats not to say he will be as good as Forsberg, but i think he will put up 65-70 points this year.

I say Zherdev will be around the same. But damn, this kid has some of the best stickhandling skills i've seen in a long time. He also owns a deadly shot...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ruutu - Forsberg comparisons are way off, I honestly don't see that many similarities.

Forsberg doesn't have the mean streak, he's not actively seeking out big hits. Forsberg is more of a playmaker and has better vision while Ruutu is more of a scorer with a very straight-forward type of game.

Wendel Clark is better comparison with Ruutu IMHO.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i love these two players this season - both excellent picks to break out, similar to rick nash two seasons ago

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Pepper said:
Ruutu is more of a scorer with a very straight-forward type of game.

Ruutu is more of a passer than scorer.

He's not 100% yet so expect another slow start. But it won't take him 3 months to get goin this time. 2-3 weeks.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
He doesnt appear to be fully healthy this year, he hasnt kicked it into gear yet this presason or season.

Him and Daze both look pretty rusty, that line was nonexistant in the opener (and preseason).

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
cbj21 said:
Z need to learn hes not the only Jacket on the ice though
Zherdev didn't particularly impress me last night. he made one sweet move around Witt but did not cash it in. It looked like a righthanded Turgeon to me. He seemed to shy away from the boards. It was only 1 game but Fritsche was almost dominant. Zherdev was invisible.

Transported Upstater

borro said:
Zherdev didn't particularly impress me last night. he made one sweet move around Witt but did not cash it in. It looked like a righthanded Turgeon to me. He seemed to shy away from the boards. It was only 1 game but Fritsche was almost dominant. Zherdev was invisible.

Trust me that will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad