Nikolai Kumelin

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
I personally wouldn't get too excited about Kulemin. Remember Kaigorodov? Senators fans were quite excited about him and nothing ever came of it.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I personally wouldn't get too excited about Kulemin. Remember Kaigorodov? Senators fans were quite excited about him and nothing ever came of it.

Apart from the fact that both players play for the same RSL team, please explain why Kaigorodov's failure to cement himself in the Ottawa Senators lineup should be considered in regards to expectations for Kulemin. I for one am having trouble comming up with any similarities between the two players that would make Kaigorodov a logical benchmark for Kulemin.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca

I think that's got more to do with Kaigorodov being a dog and a malcontent and less about talent level.

From what I've read, Kulemin seems to be the opposite.

mooseOAK*

Kaigorov had 4 goals as a 20 year`old, Kulemin has 27.

habs1988

Mar 1, 2003
I don't know
Visit site
I've heard that Kulemin thanked Ferguson picking him because his dream is to play in the NHL. I think Kulemin cares about playing NA. He doesn't seem to be like other Russians who play for money. He's willing to play hockey his tremendous.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Kaigorov had 4 goals as a 20 year`old, Kulemin has 27.

Also not so long ago a interview in Russia with Kulemin's teammates went so far as to say they knew Kaigorodov wouldn't make it in the NHL right away because of the style of game he plays. They feel Kulemin is a lot like Malkin in the sense that he'll adapt right away.

mooseOAK*

Also not so long ago a interview in Russia with Kulemin's teammates went so far as to say they knew Kaigorodov wouldn't make it in the NHL right away because of the style of game he plays. They feel Kulemin is a lot like Malkin in the sense that he'll adapt right away.
I read similar comments about Kaigorodov from Dave King who was his coach last season.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Vladimir Kryuchkov had the following to say in a 3/13/2007 interview with Olga Romanek from Football/Hockey newspaper about Nikolai Kulemin (Toronto Maple Leafs)'s success and Alexei Kaigorodov (Phoenix Coyotes)'s return:
- Nikolai Kulemin - did he develop and break out thanks to you?
- V. Kryuchkov: Nikolai Kulemin grew up without depending on our efforts. He scores the most goals. Recently, Toronot officials visited him. Most likely, he will be leaving next season.
- In your opinion, should clubs try to keep Russian players?
- V. Kryuchkov: Stars on the level of Malkin and Kulemin can calmly leave, not being afraid having to come back.
- Are you referring to Kaigorodov, who returned to you from Ottawa?
- V. Kryuchkov: It was difficult for Alexei to break out [in North America - RP]. This is just such an example when a player plays team hockey. Kaigorodov is a great conductor, who can make such a pass, that anyone would be jealous. But, he needed more time to start playing there. But stars like Malkin and Kulemin will not, in my opinion have to wait. They are leaving to take practically guarantied spots.

Found it.

Nothing "special" I suppose but it does go to show how highly people think of him

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
The only true concern I have for Kulemin is one I've mention on the Leafs bored. The concern being, he plays very similar to a Ponikarovsky but he's doing so in a smaller league, men or no men. When he comes over the NHL I'm wondering if he can stick to his game being only 6' 200lbs. He's not "small" by any means but he does play a powerforward game from what I hear in the RSL and in the NHL it's going to become a bit more difficult to knock people off the puck with that frame. They also typically take longer to adapt.

bluechip

May 19, 2006
He does not shy away from traffic, has an excellent slap and wrist shot and by all accounts is in great shape. He has plenty of upside. A few posters seem to be selling him short. The THN Future Watch Top 50 exclusion has more to do with the north american scouts including players they're more familiar with. Alot of those scouts haven't seen Kulemin this year.

LeafsrGods*

Sounds like a Ponikarovsky type player. I for one am excited about him.

Sounds like a grinder type who can score a little, maybe.

hahahha, very funny, if you havnt seen this guy play, well he is the top player in the RSL, and i mean it...i maen look at these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5i2tLi0g0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpCB2K8seOw

If you want to know more about him, go to chat maple leafs, and if those two videos did not help you realize how good this player is, well here is an interview about him:

2007 Russian Super League -
Nikolai Kulemin (Toronto Maple Leafs) on his way to NHL
Vladimir Kryuchkov had the following to say in a 3/13/2007 interview with Olga Romanek from Football/Hockey newspaper about Nikolai Kulemin (Toronto Maple Leafs)'s success and Alexei Kaigorodov (Phoenix Coyotes)'s return:
- Nikolai Kulemin - did he develop and break out thanks to you?
- V. Kryuchkov: Nikolai Kulemin grew up without depending on our efforts. He scores the most goals. Recently, Toronto officials visited him. Most likely, he will be leaving next season.
- In your opinion, should clubs try to keep Russian players?
- V. Kryuchkov: Stars on the level of Malkin and Kulemin can calmly leave, not being afraid having to come back.
- Are you referring to Kaigorodov, who returned to you from Ottawa?
- V. Kryuchkov: It was difficult for Alexei to break out [in North America - RP]. This is just such an example when a player plays team hockey. Kaigorodov is a great conductor, who can make such a pass, that anyone would be jealous. But, he needed more time to start playing there. But stars like Malkin and Kulemin will not, in my opinion have to wait. They are leaving to take practically guarantied spots.

3/21/2007

Quarterfinals - Nikolai Kulemin - (Toronto Maple Leafs) stole the show in the hard fought contest between his HC Metallurg with HC Sibir, when he broke through two defensemen, put the goalie to the ice, and then managed to force the puck around the netminder while falling to the ice :amazed: :yo: :yo:

LeafsrGods*

The only true concern I have for Kulemin is one I've mention on the Leafs bored. The concern being, he plays very similar to a Ponikarovsky but he's doing so in a smaller league, men or no men. When he comes over the NHL I'm wondering if he can stick to his game being only 6' 200lbs. He's not "small" by any means but he does play a powerforward game from what I hear in the RSL and in the NHL it's going to become a bit more difficult to knock people off the puck with that frame. They also typically take longer to adapt.

He is listed as top 5 for the calder in the the next season, (Anton Stralman is also in the top 5), and the maple leaf european scouts say his game is easily transfarable to that of the NHL, he also played on a line of Ovechkin, and Malkin in the WJC and brought the team into the finals, only to lose to the Canadians who earned a shutout from Pogge! yay

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
hahahha, very funny, if you havnt seen this guy play, well he is the top player in the RSL, and i mean it...i maen look at these

I assure you, he really isn't. From a statistical perspective, based on talent, you name it - Kulemin is an extremely good player by RSL standards. However, Morozov is the top player in the RSL, and that is hardly negotiable. Furthermore, there is a handful or two of players in the RSL who would generally be considered more elite than Kulemin is at this stage of his career. For example, he has been playing primarily on the fourth and sometimes the third line during this season's Eurotour.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
He is listed as top 5 for the calder in the the next season, (Anton Stralman is also in the top 5), and the maple leaf european scouts say his game is easily transfarable to that of the NHL, he also played on a line of Ovechkin, and Malkin in the WJC and brought the team into the finals, only to lose to the Canadians who earned a shutout from Pogge! yay

I think you mean he played with Ovechkin and Malkin at the World Champions, as Ovechkin was not even elligible to participate in the 2006 World Juniors. Even then, he was largely replaced on that line by Sushinsky, especially in key situations, once Kharitonov was injured against Ukraine.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think you mean he played with Ovechkin and Malkin at the World Champions, as Ovechkin was not even elligible to participate in the 2006 World Juniors. Even then, he was largely replaced on that line by Sushinsky, especially in key situations, once Kharitonov was injured against Ukraine.

What sort of NHL player do you see him becoming? Any comparables?

LeafsrGods*

exactly what i was trying to say......:yo:

LeafsrGods*

:handclap:
Someone said he plays a game similar to andrei kovalenko? sounds about right based on his scouting report..

Nah, i bit, i mean, better then andrei kovalenko sounds right to me, his scouts actually say levels of Malkin and Kulemin, which means they are hardcore prospects, and also, i see Kulemin having a 30+ goals a season in his whole career, which seams WAY better then that of andrei kovalenko.......Lets just wait and see how he does next season:teach:.....

LeafsrGods*

I assure you, he really isn't. From a statistical perspective, based on talent, you name it - Kulemin is an extremely good player by RSL standards. However, Morozov is the top player in the RSL, and that is hardly negotiable. Furthermore, there is a handful or two of players in the RSL who would generally be considered more elite than Kulemin is at this stage of his career. For example, he has been playing primarily on the fourth and sometimes the third line during this season's Eurotour.

When i meant best players, i meant best propects, and even Hockey Futures agree with me, he was recently named as top propect in Russia, and also, i believe there are some, not handful, of Russian players at the current level of Kulemin....But, lets wait and see what he can do here in Toronto, and play with players like Wellwood, Steen, Stajan, Tlusty, etc., etc., and if does infact become an elite player, so we then argue who was correct and who was incorrect.....

LeafsrGods*

Someone said he plays a game similar to andrei kovalenko? sounds about right based on his scouting report..

There are some players with horrible scouting reports that become elite players in the future.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad