Nikita Zadorov's Shutdown Ability

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A guy who isn't going to get talked about a lot since he is never going to be an offensive dynamo. But he has been stringing together a very solid season. He had a tough October, showed up to training camp late after rehabbing from a pretty tough injury that cut his 16/17 season short. But since a series of scratches he has appeared to take his game to a new level.

Here's a look at his last 23 games (since being inserted back into the lineup)
54.15CF% (Avs as a team are 50.38% in that time)
38% offensive zone starts
60 Hits (8th among NHL D in that time)
40 Blocked Shots (39th among NHL D in that time)
He's even managed to chip in 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points (40th among NHL D in that time)

The most impressive part of Zadorov's game has been his ability to shutdown other teams top lines and in particular top centres individually. over the last month he had a 75%CF while on the ice against Crosby, 83%CF against Malkin (though he only played 4.85 minutes against him), 76%CF against Tavares and a 60% against Kopitar and Matthews.

The Pittsburgh game in particular had a pretty crazy stat line as evidenced by the tweet below.

As I said, the guy is never going to get much love for his offensive game and I doubt the points continue as they have recently (6 points in his last 8 games played) but he's proving night in and night out that he can face the top talent on the other team and prevent them from doing much of anything.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wouldn't discount his offensive upside, it's there. He has a nice shot and shows flashes of vision.

Producing offensive numbers as a defenseman is tricky, it's more then just having the talent, a lot of it is hockey sense. You need to pick your spots when to be aggressive. Even the best get caught out of position on occasion.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wouldn't discount his offensive upside, it's there. He has a nice shot and shows flashes of vision.

Producing offensive numbers as a defenseman is tricky, it's more then just having the talent, a lot of it is hockey sense. You need to pick your spots when to be aggressive. Even the best get caught out of position on occasion.
I'm not saying he's bad offensively at all. He certainly has talent and intelligence with the puck.

I'm just saying his current streak of 6 points in 8 games probably isn't going to be the norm.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not saying he's bad offensively at all. He certainly has talent and intelligence with the puck.

I'm just saying his current streak of 6 points in 8 games probably isn't going to be the norm.

Well, maybe.

I just think he is still learning and developing that part of his game. Right now, he is more comfortable being conservative but he has slowly been opening his game up and I think that will continue.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was VERY impressed with him when we played the Avs a few weeks back. One of those dudes who basically silently locks down the game. Was Vlasic-esque from him (he's not Vlasic, just saying similar game that night).

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
A guy who isn't going to get talked about a lot since he is never going to be an offensive dynamo. But he has been stringing together a very solid season. He had a tough October, showed up to training camp late after rehabbing from a pretty tough injury that cut his 16/17 season short. But since a series of scratches he has appeared to take his game to a new level.

Here's a look at his last 23 games (since being inserted back into the lineup)
54.15CF% (Avs as a team are 50.38% in that time)
38% offensive zone starts
60 Hits (8th among NHL D in that time)
40 Blocked Shots (39th among NHL D in that time)
He's even managed to chip in 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points (40th among NHL D in that time)

The most impressive part of Zadorov's game has been his ability to shutdown other teams top lines and in particular top centres individually. over the last month he had a 75%CF while on the ice against Crosby, 83%CF against Malkin (though he only played 4.85 minutes against him), 76%CF against Tavares and a 60% against Kopitar and Matthews.

The Pittsburgh game in particular had a pretty crazy stat line as evidenced by the tweet below.

As I said, the guy is never going to get much love for his offensive game and I doubt the points continue as they have recently (6 points in his last 8 games played) but he's proving night in and night out that he can face the top talent on the other team and prevent them from doing much of anything.

He is not in the top 10 defenceman, though.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This isn't really a "poor Buffalo" scenario. We got a heck of a player in return for him.

Nice to see Zadorov starting to turn it around.

Agreed, ROR is awesome.

This was the best win-win trade I've seen in a long time, even if it took a few years for Z and Compher to get there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Does he have the potential to become one in five years?

I mean technically he has a huge ceiling with his physical gifts and skating abilities. But mentally he's a lot less consistent and makes brain farts here and there, but if he truly hits his ceiling he'd be a #1 dman for sure. But he probably ends up being a low end #2 or #3 kinda guy. But he's only 22 so who knows where his development goes from here.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Looks like he should become a solid#2-3 25-35pt shutdown guy with the chance to be a top pairing #1-2 30-45pt shutdown guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->