Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Must sign, but he will be getting plenty of offers from a half dozen or more GM's.

Big, mean, elevates his game, hits to hurt and has a small scoring touch. Heart and soul team player.

Reactions: David71

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
After seeing who elevates their game in the playoffs and who doesn't. Signing Zads is a must. Starting to think Hronek is just a product of Hughes. Hronek has been invisible these playoffs.

Sign Zadorov long term baby.

Reactions: theguardianII

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I was thinking maybe hes playing so much better because Hronek plays heavier minutes but their minutes are pretty similar. Unless theres some advanced stats prooving otherwise Zadorov has clearly out produced Hronek. Thats incredible

Reactions: theguardianII

oba

Feb 2, 2024
I'm getting a LOC to give this fella 5 years at 6M.....
Anyone else want to pool in?

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
I'd be very afraid of a team like Toronto offering silly $ for him if they have to blow their team up. So therefore I am forced to root for the Leafs in the short term...

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
....No don't sign Z.

He is no good because he is not both tiny and fleet.

Best to let Z and Lindholm walk and to instead sign older, less impactful defensemen and plumbers on the 4th line.

They need to resist setting new standards for performance and revert to the good old days of getting pushed around in every Rink from here to Kalamazoo and having a crappy terd line...

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
....No don't sign Z.

He is no good because he is not both tiny and fleet.

Best to let Z and Lindholm walk and to instead sign older, less impactful defensemen and plumbers on the 4th line.

They need to resist setting new standards for performance and revert to the good old days of getting pushed around in every Rink from here to Kalamazoo and having a crappy terd line...

Jim please, you're not even the GM anymore! Get the hell OUT of here!

Security!

• Haha
Reactions: Flik

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Jim please, you're not even the GM anymore! Get the hell OUT of here!

Security!
Self-appointed Experts/influencers weighing in to lead us yet again:

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 9.16.46 AM.png

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The real question for the Canucks is whether Zadorov's play is just a blip and he will fall back to being a bottom pairing defensemen, or whether he has developed into a top four defensemen. If the Canucks think its the latter, then absolutely they should lock him up given that he just turned 29, is huge and physical, and is a great skater for his size. As an aside, he also seems well liked and seems to be a great teammate.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I'd be very afraid of a team like Toronto offering silly $ for him if they have to blow their team up. So therefore I am forced to root for the Leafs in the short term...
Toronto is who you're worried about?

I'm worried about Shitcago, San Jose or Anaheim deciding to overpay for him to be that tough d-man on the back end to protect their kids.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The real question for the Canucks is whether Zadorov's play is just a blip and he will fall back to being a bottom pairing defensemen, or whether he has developed into a top four defensemen. If the Canucks think its the latter, then absolutely they should lock him up given that he just turned 29, is huge and physical, and is a great skater for his size. As an aside, he also seems well liked and seems to be a great teammate.
This guy is a bonafide UNICORN, of course your vancouver canucks have to sign him.

Yours truly,

Barry Beck, Shea Weber and Zdeno Chara.

Last edited:

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Zadorov and Joshua are two guys who bring that gritty X Factor that you simply have to retain. I hope we are able to.
And both are prone to take unnecessary penalties at inappropriate times...as Joshua showed us again last night. Reasonable players but not worth breaking the bank to sign.

Reactions: MarkMM

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
Toronto is who you're worried about?

I'm worried about Shitcago, San Jose or Anaheim deciding to overpay for him to be that tough d-man on the back end to protect their kids.

Good point, there are more teams to worry about than just Toronto. Just that I recall TO was interested in Big Z also when the Canucks got him, TO wasn't able to clear enough cap space. And would he be willing to go to those non-playoff teams if a playoff team was able to offer him close to what those other sh!t teams could...

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Z makes everyone bigger on our team having him scares the crap outta people. He's also a great person from what I've seen and teammates love him. Sign this guy priority 1 this summer.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Z makes everyone bigger on our team having him scares the crap outta people. He's also a great person from what I've seen and teammates love him. Sign this guy priority 1 this summer.

this is huge, no pun intended

imagine if we’d had a zadorov in the ballard/rome spot in 2011, instead of relying on bieksa, god love him, to anchor our toughness

Reactions: Killer Orcas

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The money Myers asks for is criminal. Also, like I said before, our coach and management all love the hell of Myers, while at the same time circulating rumors that Zad will be too expensive. At this point the possibility of them signing Myers before even talking to Zad seems pretty high, no?
Well at this stage Myers' attractiveness would be that he's a RHD coming off a solid season who isn't going to command a long term contract. So his options are likely a 1 year contract at a higher AAV vs a 2 year contract at less. Maybe a team gives him 3? It's hard to say. Ian Cole, for example, has been signing one year contracts.

Age is the biggest factor but if you remove it, he should be earning more than Zadorov because he's there's a premium for a RHD, who has a better track record for playing top 4 minutes, and who has consistently been utilized as a top PKer. Zadorov, for whatever reason, hasn't spent much time on the PK until his last two seasons?

Agreed. I think given what he's capable of at his best, he's a solid #4. If he was more consistent this wouldn't be a discussion. The money/contract he is looking for though is more along the lines of a premier shutdown Dman. I'm comfortable giving him a 4-5 year contract but AAV is a sticking point. In the last two seasons, Zadorov has been a premium 3rd pairing defenseman who throws punishing hits and puts up surprising goal totals. In the 3rd pairing usage he's been utilized in he has basically been elite.

But again, given what he's capable of at his best, I'm comfortable paying him top 4 money to be a 2nd pairing Dman. From what I've seen, Zadorov's floor isn't that low. It's not as low as Myers.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's kind of a strange coincidence, but Zadorov is almost exactly the same age as Tyler Myers was when Benning offered up that bloated contract to pry him away from the Jets.

But the Canucks are so much better place now than when they were when Myers came here five seasons ago. Defensive structure matters. And I suspect Zadorov would thrive in the Canucks current system, and working with guys like Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar.

I feel confidence in saying that if Myers had, had that kind of support system in place when he signed here, he'd have had a lot better career as a Canuck d-man.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Agreed. I think given what he's capable of at his best, he's a solid #4. If he was more consistent this wouldn't be a discussion. The money/contract he is looking for though is more along the lines of a premier shutdown Dman. I'm comfortable giving him a 4-5 year contract but AAV is a sticking point. In the last two seasons, Zadorov has been a premium 3rd pairing defenseman who throws punishing hits and puts up surprising goal totals. In the 3rd pairing usage he's been utilized in he has basically been elite.

But again, given what he's capable of at his best, I'm comfortable paying him top 4 money to be a 2nd pairing Dman. From what I've seen, Zadorov's floor isn't that low. It's not as low as Myers.
Zadorov is ranked by scouts as a second pairing defence man, P3 ranking meaning #3 guy.

6 mil will not seem to be the same as Myers contract because Myers deal was mostly in a flat cap. If the cap rises by 5 mil a year over the next 4 years 6 mil will be like 3.5 - 4 now.

With the trend of hiring really good ex players to coach individually is becoming effective, Coffey in Edmonton and Gonchar/Foote in Van. I could see Schenn and Cole eventually doing this too.
As far as Myers "low" he is third in scoring without ANY PP time or just a tiny bit and that adds big time to point totals. He spends a huge amount of time stopping the other team from scoring on the PK and stopping a goal can be harder than scoring one.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Glad to see Zadorov doing well.

In the Avs Flames series in 2019 Tkachuk was running around being who he is. Zadorov flattened him and the entire Flames bench took notice and spent the rest of the series playing like scared mice.

When the guy is on he can be a difference maker at both ends of the ice. Hope he finds a good home in Vancouver.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
They need to let Gen Z walk.

They can't build around a 29 year old DMan who probably only has 8 good years left.

It also doesn't help the Tank if they keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad