Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I know he had a tough 1st period, and I say this knowing the opposite would've been surprising, but I thought his play got incrementally better as the game progressed yesterday, I have no clue what everyone else was watching.

I mean in the 3rd I saw him more involved than I'd ever seen him, he was moving his legs, got to some loose pucks, pursued some WAS puck carriers, he even made a couple of nice passes and took a few shots on net.

Just cause a few pundits who probably watched 3 minutes of the 1st period tell you he was bad, doesn't make it so. Don't forget alot of these so-called experts think he's competing with Hudon, so they'll bash him to get their boy on the team. I love Hudon too but it's a shame some need to bring down 1 player to bring up the other...that being said, Hudon is closer at this point, that is pretty obvious.

Scherbak won't start the season in Montreal, but I finally saw something from him yesterday. He just needs to keep it going....consistency!

When they drafted him, management said he was 4-5 years away, he's now 3 years into his development and this will be a big year for him. After yesterday, I have faith.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'd take a 4th rounder for him at this point...

Like...why? 21 years old. 41 points in 66 AHL games last year. What's the huge rush here?

I agree his development so far hasn't filled me with optimism either, but why kick him to the curb for trash? He doesn't have to clear waivers. Send him down, let him play more pro hockey, see where it goes. Sheesh.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I know he had a tough 1st period, and I say this knowing the opposite would've been surprising, but I thought his play got incrementally better as the game progressed yesterday, I have no clue what everyone else was watching.

I mean in the 3rd I saw him more involved than I'd ever seen him, he was moving his legs, got to some loose pucks, pursued some WAS puck carriers, he even made a couple of nice passes and took a few shots on net.

Just cause a few pundits who probably watched 3 minutes of the 1st period tell you he was bad, doesn't make it so. Don't forget alot of these so-called experts think he's competing with Hudon, so they'll bash him to get their boy on the team. I love Hudon too but it's a shame some need to bring down 1 player to bring up the other...that being said, Hudon is closer at this point, that is pretty obvious.

Scherbak won't start the season in Montreal, but I finally saw something from him yesterday. He just needs to keep it going....consistency!

When they drafted him, management said he was 4-5 years away, he's now 3 years into his development and this will be a big year for him. After yesterday, I have faith.

I saw him hustle from center ice to race to a puck down low, but instead of engaging the defender, he reached with his stick and allowed the defender to easily squeeze him out and walk away. That's not an NHL player. A spot is open on the third line now with Shaw's injury, but I think that goes to Byron. And Scherbak goes down with McCarron taking a fourth line spot.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I saw him hustle from center ice to race to a puck down low, but instead of engaging the defender, he reached with his stick and allowed the defender to easily squeeze him out and walk away. That's not an NHL player.

1 bad play as a 21 year old in his 1st pre-season game = not NHL material.

Thanks for your input.

dannyfinn22

Jun 10, 2017
Nikita Scherbusto, Trevor Timmins strikes again, and just one pick after Boston selects Pastrnak,, and Hab's fans will complain we pick low in the draft alot..Boston finds 'em.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Like...why? 21 years old. 41 points in 66 AHL games last year. What's the huge rush here?

I agree his development so far hasn't filled me with optimism either, but why kick him to the curb for trash? He doesn't have to clear waivers. Send him down, let him play more pro hockey, see where it goes. Sheesh.

Because I don't think he's going to be worth anything in the future, that's why.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Because I don't think he's going to be worth anything in the future, that's why.
I could see that too, maybe his value will only get lower. That's also the problem with not having great centermen, it's that we cannot play him with anybody that will inflate his value. I remember Colorado in the days of Sakic and Forsberg used to that. They play a rookie with either Sakic and Forberg, kid looks incredible with them, then gets traded to another team for good assets but he never fulfills his potential with new team.

Jul 6, 2016
A guy like Barbashev, who was plaing in the Q for Moncton, would possibly had been a better pick.

He will be a regular player on the Blues roster pretty soon.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That draft year looks pretty bad so far. At least the Habs didn’t take Virtanen 6th overall :laugh:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

and he probably has more value to us. I don't think his trade value's that high. I'm not too high on him but he HAS shown progression. I think we need to be patient. I still think at best he'll be frustrating like AK46. Still that's an asset and CAN be useful

That draft year looks pretty bad so far. At least the Habs didnÂ’t take Virtanen 6th overall :laugh:

and we still have Lernout and Evans from that draft. Nothing immensely exciting but still decent potential and have shown quite a bit of promise for later round picks.

I really think we're going to re-evaluate the drafting under MB soon.

So far we have Galchenyuk in '12. If that's all you get out of a weak draft then that's still damn good despite Galch underwhelming (I think it's safe to say he's underwhelmed a bit). Now there's a very likely chance we have a middle 6 Hudon. It's still early but there's reason to expect that he can have an impact. IF that happens, that's a damn good draft.

Then you have '13 where it's still early but we DO know that we have Lehkonen. Who looks to be like a middle 6 winger if not more. Safe money is he can be a 20/20 guy with real potential for more. If that's all you get that's still a solid draft. Jury's still out on McCarron who can definitely be an impactful bottom 9 guy (I still allow him SOME top 6 potential). Time's running out on DLR but I think people are turning him on too quickly. Reway though far away still is one of our most skilled prospects. Ghetto COULD very well make good of a 2nd chance in COL. I'm still on the fence with Fucale but it's pretty clear he doesn't have starter potential. At least very good starter potential but again.

That's still a lot of potential bonus to a solid base line Lehkonen draft.

'14 you have an immensely skilled but very raw and question filled Scherbak, a Lernout who's impressed and an Evans who's been one of the better players in the NCAA.

'15 you have a Juulsen who's done nothing but impress and has 2nd pairing guy written all over him and an Addison.

On paper these last 2 years are the weakest and there's still a potential top 4 D man in there.

'16 we got a blue chip D prospect who we converted into one of the most skilled players under 25 and another D who impressed as much or maybe even more than the blue chip. Throw in Bitten too.

'17 I won't delve into but on paper it could be our best.

This list (on paper mind you) just doesn't look like drafting that should be so universally bashed. Out of the 2 only drafts we can evaluate (and not even fully) we came out with a 30 goal guy and a kid who's very likely a 20/20 2 way beast who just about every fan likes. I just don't get it.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
It's an interesting question.

I just think it's silly to suggest one coach is responsible for how much a player develops.

I agree.

The vast majority of busts would bust under any coach. I think Scherbak is going to bust, I don't think it has to do with his coach. Does that mean he was a bad pick?

Not necessarily, I feel he had some good tools and upside, showed some intriguing stuff in his draft year, I don't think he's really a headcase in the sense that he didn't interview well, he's just not able to improve on his flaws. Some guys just don't have the motor, the strength, the speed and they can't do anything about it no matter how much time they spend in the gym.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree.

The vast majority of busts would bust under any coach. I think Scherbak is going to bust, I don't think it has to do with his coach. Does that mean he was a bad pick?

Not necessarily, I feel he had some good tools and upside, showed some intriguing stuff in his draft year, I don't think he's really a headcase in the sense that he didn't interview well, he's just not able to improve on his flaws. Some guys just don't have the motor, the strength, the speed and they can't do anything about it no matter how much time they spend in the gym.

and then a coach arrives, and during his tenure, no prospects graduate... nothing.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
He did mention today that he found it a bit hard getting into the game at first because of all the special teams play and he wasn't on them. Will be interesting to see how he does tonight. I've watched him a lot and he gets these bursts where you watch him and you're like he has so much talent then there's other shifts where you're asking yourself how did he ever get drafted in the first round. I'm hoping being in Laval closer to some guys like Galchenyuk might make him happier to be in NA and in turn more motivated.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Nikita Scherbusto, Trevor Timmins strikes again, and just one pick after Boston selects Pastrnak,, and Hab's fans will complain we pick low in the draft alot..Boston finds 'em.

Seems to be more like "Boston develops 'em" than "Boston finds 'em".

Seriously, our development program would make Machiavelli proud.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
and then a coach arrives, and during his tenure, no prospects graduate... nothing.

I think it's the mindset of the org. that is the biggest problem where they had all the trouble in the world trusting young players under MT, hopefully this changes now.

The very few quality picks obviously didn't help.

Ghetto, Hudon probably could've graduated full time a year ago.

I'm not saying a coach can't contribute to a player's development, but in most cases they won't turn a bust into something. In Scherbak's case, a coach won't make him strong enough, a coach won't make him play with pace, a coach won't make him faster, he is weak, that's the bottom line.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
what a horrible night for Scherbak. Damn. Hope he lights a fire and bounces back next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad