Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Agreed. He needs to get stronger and much like Galchenyuk, learn to attack the right side of the puck.

Needs to work on his speed too. He had a possible chance in the 3rd but had to slow up because he couldn't beat the defenseman to the net

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Needs to work on his speed too. He had a possible chance in the 3rd but had to slow up because he couldn't beat the defenseman to the net

His skating technique is fine, he's actually a good skater. He just doesn't have the strength in his legs to push him to the speed he needed there.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Don't like to use the terms "soft" and "floater" but they really apply to him.

In the 70s they'd have to scrape his body off the ice after one intra squad game. His only saving grace will be if the NHL is really serious about cracking down on slashing, cross checking etc. Even then in his case they'll have to remove all physical contact for him to have a real shot at becoming a good NHLer.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
I would trade him for a late pick while we still can.. He's never going to play with the habs. Kind of a waste to give him play time in the AHL. I would rather give the play time to a player that have the chance to play in the big league.

He's not a gamer, not enough character and he's bad defensively with poor hockey IQ. It's not something you can learn.

I have a feeling he will end up in the KHL.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This fanbase is so clueless.

The amount of people declaring who will "never make it" and who has "locked up a spot" based on a handful of pre-season games is straight up embarrassing.

This is the kind of stuff the Habs Board posters used to mock Leafs Board posters for. Now it happens here and it's not just a handful of people making these statements. It's tons of people.

Sad state of affairs. I'm glad the likes of mcphee and other solid posters of the past aren't here to see what this has become.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't seen one positive account anywhere about Scherbak.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I don't think he was nearly as bad as portrayed here...got better as the game went along, but difficult for a player like him to stand out playing with Froese & Martinsen.

He's obviously AHL bound so for me, I'm not expecting to see much from him at this camp because he's not going to get an opportunity in a scoring role.

The goal for him is to be a call up later this year and to be a Montreal Canadiens player come March 2018 and hopefully, into the playoffs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Being put with Byron and Audette is a good spot for Scherbak to prove he has what it takes. Hopefully he steps it up because Byron and Audette will give what they have.

Audette had a good rookie tournament, he looked good at the scrimmage, and looked good on Monday against Boston. Even if we know Audette and Scherbak will be sent down, they need to leave an impression for future reference. Audette to me has been doing that. Here's hoping Scherbak can benefit by being put on an offensive line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Being put with Byron and Audette is a good spot for Scherbak to prove he has what it takes. Hopefully he steps it up because Byron and Audette will give what they have.

Audette had a good rookie tournament, he looked good at the scrimmage, and looked good on Monday against Boston. Even if we know Audette and Scherbak will be sent down, they need to leave an impression for future reference. Audette to me has been doing that. Here's hoping Scherbak can benefit by being put on an offensive line.

Audette to be honest, has probably made the biggest gain of any prospect we have in the system.

Still some work to do, but he's come a very long way

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Scherbak got no love on AC and this morning's show on 91.9FM and Marinaro's show.

On 91.9FM, more than one host suggested they should try and peddle him off in a package deal.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
This fanbase is so clueless.

The amount of people declaring who will "never make it" and who has "locked up a spot" based on a handful of pre-season games is straight up embarrassing.

This is the kind of stuff the Habs Board posters used to mock Leafs Board posters for. Now it happens here and it's not just a handful of people making these statements. It's tons of people.

Sad state of affairs. I'm glad the likes of mcphee and other solid posters of the past aren't here to see what this has become.

It's not based on 1 pre season games.

He has zero clue what he's doing on the ice.. absolutely zero. Best training camp was is first and it's going downhill since.

Sometime you need to take a gamble and trade player when they still have some value and not wait before they are complete bust.

I would take Daniel Audette easily before Sherbak.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Scherbak got no love on AC and this morning's show on 91.9FM and Marinaro's show.

On 91.9FM, more than one host suggested they should try and peddle him off in a package deal.

That's just par for the course for any skilled player in Montreal's system with work to do.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I wouldn't be opposed to that. But I'm still willing, at this moment, to be patient with him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's just par for the course for any skilled player in Montreal's system with work to do.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. But I'm still willing, at this moment, to be patient with him.

Isn't this Scherbak's 4th training camp? Pundits are suggesting that they've seen no progress.

I hope you guys are right. I'm certainly not advocating making a judgment on him so early and given he's still young. However, he's going back to Lefebvre and not sure how that's going to help him evolve his game.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
People seem to expect him to magically show up way faster, stronger at some point in the future when he hasn't made any important stride in that department in the last 3 YEARS!!

To me, he's extremely close to the exact same player he was in his first camp, that is the problem and I've been saying it for a while now.

There is absolutely 0 doubt in my mind that this kid will never be able to sustain NHL pace, not even close.

With that said, I liked the pick at the time, would've gone with barbashev but I was excited about him and understand how our scouts saw something in him, he was a great project, didn't pan out, too bad.

I'd take a 4th rounder for him at this point...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Isn't this Scherbak's 4th training camp? Pundits are suggesting that they've seen no progress.

I hope you guys are right. I'm certainly not advocating making a judgment on him so early and given he's still young. However, he's going back to Lefebvre and not sure how that's going to help him evolve his game.

The patience is slowly wearing thin, yes. But no need to throw the towel just yet. That's if he stays in the organization. If he's part of a trade that brings something significant in return, I won't shed a tear.

This is the most important year for him because they have stacked the Laval team and he needs to be one of the key pieces to their roster. He shouldn't be a passenger down there.

Even if he's going back to Lefebvre (which is not something I'm thrilled about), Scherbak still needs to make a statement. Hudon has been doing it. Lernout is doing it. I have faith that Juulsen will do it. Despite the coach, Scherbak needs to take the bull by the horns.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could see him traded at some point, but he did have a very good year last season, he was easily one of their best players and that's with being handled poorly imo. Also keep in mind, if he was born 2 days later this would be his 2nd pro season. In his case it's too bad he wasn't as he really needs more development time to mature physically. His lower body especially. That said he's got high skill level, just an insane passer/playmaker but also a very frustrating player.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

He has an undeniably quick release, and skates well. Strength, and overall smarts are his drawbacks right now. Its the latter which concerns me the most, but it would be silly to give up on him at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad