Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The rules seem to be

Despite playing a "full" AHL season, he didn't play 10 NHL games and was 19 as of Sep 15th, so the contract slides.

You quoted the very exception that makes Scherbak's contract not slide. He turned 20 by December 31st.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It was very Radulov like that's for sure. Full credit to Scherbak on the progression he has made, people were writing him off but he came into this season with authority and if it wasn't for his earlier injury this season he likely would have more goals right now.

I just like Scherbak soooo much more in a top six role. Don't know why Julien has him on the 3rd line with a defensive player like Shaw centering him.

After Shaw went down, I even prefered Schebak Froese Galchenyuk. Froese brings more offense than DLR.

But it should be

Byron Drouin Gallagher
Sherbak Galchenyuk Hudon

Reactions: Redux91

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You quoted the very exception that makes Scherbak's contract not slide. He turned 20 by December 31st.

The exception is only if it's the first year of the contract, I believe that is in reference to when the contract is signed which was the first slide year when he went back to the WHL.

Second Slide: If an 18-year-old player (at the time of contract signing) has his contract slide and then doesn’t play in at least ten games in the second season either, his contract will slide again.
NHL CBA 101: How Do Entry-Level Contracts Slide? -

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The rules seem to be

Despite playing a "full" AHL season, he didn't play 10 NHL games and was 19 as of Sep 15th, so the contract slides.

The last few lines of the regulation you posted explains why Cap Friendly is wrong on this one.

Scherbak was 19 on September 15 and turned 20 between September 16 and December 31 so his contract does not slide.

Scherbak's birthday is December 30th.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I like how he drove to the net last night on his goal.

It's so rare to see Habs players with scoring instincts. Players that think about beating the defender one on one instead of holding back and waiting for a teammate or dumping the puck in the corner. Breath of fresh air.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
JUST saw his goal from last night. Damn. Skill and drives the net? He's already like that with barely anyone being able to rub off on him and take him under their wing, imagine a certain someone who was also skilled and drove the net and was the hardest work on the ice every shift he took was still here to take him under their wing?

Scherbak is going to be a player and we need Bergevin to gtfo so there's no risk of f***ing anything up with him, like a random ass trade for no reason.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
JUST saw his goal from last night. Damn. Skill and drives the net? He's already like that with barely anyone being able to rub off on him and take him under their wing, imagine a certain someone who was also skilled and drove the net and was the hardest work on the ice every shift he took was still here to take him under their wing?

Scherbak is going to be a player and we need Bergevin to gtfo so there's no risk of ****ing anything up with him, like a random ass trade for no reason.

6"2 super skilled russian who loves it in north america, more of a playmaker but with the ability to score highlight reel goals

he shall make me forget about pacioretty quickly, our PP has done better without the captain and with the addition of scherbak, pacioretty was just a total 0 on the powerplay, a nothing passer..

now im not saying scherby will replace max's goals, thats for bergevin to figure out and find someone, but having scherby in a top 6 role will do absolute wonders for this team

he is literally a 22 yr old Jakub Voracek, and we need to nourrish his development correctly (i know .. i know...were boned)

Reactions: cphabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
6"2 super skilled russian who loves it in north america, more of a playmaker but with the ability to score highlight reel goals

he shall make me forget about pacioretty quickly, our PP has done better without the captain and with the addition of scherbak, pacioretty was just a total 0 on the powerplay, a nothing passer..

now im not saying scherby will replace max's goals, thats for bergevin to figure out and find someone, but having scherby in a top 6 role will do absolute wonders for this team

he is literally a 22 yr old Jakub Voracek, and we need to nourrish his development correctly (i know .. i know...were boned)

Jakub voracek? Lets slow it down a bit.

Reactions: Fenris

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Jakub voracek? Lets slow it down a bit.

The sky's the limit with someone with as much talent as Scherbak. But there's no point in doing comparisons now because he could still also not become even a 40 point player. We have to wait and see how he figures the game out and see, as he gets physically stronger if he gets that extra half second of separation to make more plays. Time will tell. But we have to be patient with a raw talent like him.

I look forward to seeing what the young veteran, true veteran, Scherbak look like. But now we're seeing the young, inexperienced , still green at the NHL level Scherbak.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What was said to him at the beginning of the year that turned him into a potential gamebreaking talent? He’s showing way more effort than ever before and he skates twice as good as he did a year ago.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
What was said to him at the beginning of the year that turned him into a potential gamebreaking talent? He’s showing way more effort than ever before and he skates twice as good as he did a year ago.
I heard from a good source that Scherbs was shaken up by Julien after training camp... Maybe that’s what he needed.

Reactions: le_sean

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I heard from a good source that Scherbs was shaken up by Julien after training camp... Maybe that’s what he needed.

Much as Julien has been a massive disappointment, it's not like he was going to hear the right thing from Lefebvre.

Wonder if the rumor about Julien not liking Russians has any legs to it. Been awhile since I've heard anything hot from the locker room.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Much as Julien has been a massive disappointment, it's not like he was going to hear the right thing from Lefebvre.

Wonder if the rumor about Julien not liking Russians has any legs to it. Been awhile since I've heard anything hot from the locker room.
Julien is soft as pudding, he doesn't hate anyone...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
An annual 39 goal scorer made expendable??? Really?

Annual? 39? once, he WAS a perennial 30 goal scorer, but as we saw a bit last year and BIGTIME this year ..he is 28 and it shows, not that hes out of shape or anything, but he certainly is not the 24-25 yr old fitness freak dynamo he once was, and i dont think being vegan is doing him a whole bunch of favors athletic wise either, and the EFFORT level and willingness to play hard, has completely evaporated, and the lost season only further enhanced that non-chalantness, same thing with drouin but with drouin i can SOMEwhat forgive him as he is apart of our future but it is absolutely unacceptable to see it from our CAPTAIN

0 points in 6 games vs the rangers, 17 goals this year playing 1st line, 1st wave powerplay , he is also an absolute useless powerplay player if i ever saw one, one of the worst passers ive seen as well, should of just been in front of the net everytime
its strange i know max has only missed the passed couple of games, but it really feels like hes missed the last 80..i dont miss him out there, and he hasnt brought anything worthwhile to the team, since, that very 39 goal season you mentioned

that was then, this is now, and he has worn out his stay here in montreal.

I dont want to get into the whole "behind closed doors, he is the real reason pk subban is not on the team anymore.." too infuriating, too painful.

Scherbak will not score 39 goals, but i definitely believe he could one day be a 20 goal 50 assist man like he was in junior, he might not score 30, but he can help others score 30 if it all goes well for him, and phenomenal powerplay player

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Too bad Scherbak has really poor foot speed cause once he gets going his speed is fine, he just lacks lower body strength and agility..

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Too bad Scherbak has really poor foot speed cause once he gets going his speed is fine, he just lacks lower body strength and agility..
I always thought galchenyuk had the same problem

ONCe they pick up speed, they can be REAL fast!, but the jumpstarts, its what keeps him from the NEXT level, if they got legs like marty st louis one day, theyd probably be all-stars

Reactions: Goldenhands

Mental HABuse

Mar 2, 2018
Annual? 39? once, he WAS a perennial 30 goal scorer, but as we saw a bit last year and BIGTIME this year ..he is 28 and it shows, not that hes out of shape or anything, but he certainly is not the 24-25 yr old fitness freak dynamo he once was, and i dont think being vegan is doing him a whole bunch of favors athletic wise either, and the EFFORT level and willingness to play hard, has completely evaporated, and the lost season only further enhanced that non-chalantness, same thing with drouin but with drouin i can SOMEwhat forgive him as he is apart of our future but it is absolutely unacceptable to see it from our CAPTAIN

0 points in 6 games vs the rangers, 17 goals this year playing 1st line, 1st wave powerplay , he is also an absolute useless powerplay player if i ever saw one, one of the worst passers ive seen as well, should of just been in front of the net everytime
its strange i know max has only missed the passed couple of games, but it really feels like hes missed the last 80..i dont miss him out there, and he hasnt brought anything worthwhile to the team, since, that very 39 goal season you mentioned

that was then, this is now, and he has worn out his stay here in montreal.

I dont want to get into the whole "behind closed doors, he is the real reason pk subban is not on the team anymore.." too infuriating, too painful.

Scherbak will not score 39 goals, but i definitely believe he could one day be a 20 goal 50 assist man like he was in junior, he might not score 30, but he can help others score 30 if it all goes well for him, and phenomenal powerplay player

Dude....relax. I meant annual 30 goal scorer and hit 9 on my iPhone instead of 0. As for the effort evaporating, this season has taken much out Hab fans stamina to watch games let alone play in them for some veterans. I am not entirely excusing his play. This is a disappointing season for Patches but I still think it is an aberration rather than the norm. I am not about to put Scherbak in the same category yet. And brought nothing worthwhile to the team since his 39? Good lord.....a team starving to score goals....where they have not had a regular 30 goal scorer since god knows when.....and you say nothing? 37...30...35 followed. By the way.....for Scherbak to hit 50 assists in a year in your delusional world, he may need.....hmmm.....a 30 goal scorer on his line perhaps. Yeah, but where do you find those?....I wonder.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Just imagine if MTL pick #2.

Galchenyuk, Drouin, Scherbak and Svechnikov. OMG, that a very great young talents forward group guys! (I really like Hudon too). With Poehling soon too, us offense looks very promising!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad