Nikita "Marschak" Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Disagreed. a year of riding the bus, and getting use to a professional schedule is important.

If Patrick Roy could ride the bus with $100m in the bank for 10 years to learn coaching, our kids can spend one year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

Plus, you don't burn a year of their eligibility and keep th from getting ufa money a year longer.

Scherbak will be considered a 20 year old so that won't be an issue, it didn't hurt Galchenyuk to miss the AHL and usually I would agree 100% as I am a big believer in the AHL (but not if the same coaching staff remains next year) I value Scherbak to be close to the level of Galchenyuk so if he shows enough in camp then I don't have a problem with him making the NHL next year. If not then the AHL should be good for him, especially if we hire a new coaching staff for the Dogs.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I just really don't want Shark and Big Mac to go through the Slymower and have their O game go stagnant next year. Both could become something special in their own ways as long as we don't screw them up. In that way I'd rather see them get selective minutes with the big club. But realistically that won't happen, so I'm left with hoping that the Dogs get a coaching change between now and next season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just really don't want Shark and Big Mac to go through the Slymower and have their O game go stagnant next year. Both could become something special in their own ways as long as we don't screw them up. In that way I'd rather see them get selective minutes with the big club. But realistically that won't happen, so I'm left with hoping that the Dogs get a coaching change between now and next season.

After Big Macs big first game.. he's been pointless with Oshawa.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Scherbak will be considered a 20 year old so that won't be an issue, it didn't hurt Galchenyuk to miss the AHL and usually I would agree 100% as I am a big believer in the AHL (but not if the same coaching staff remains next year) I value Scherbak to be close to the level of Galchenyuk so if he shows enough in camp then I don't have a problem with him making the NHL next year. If not then the AHL should be good for him, especially if we hire a new coaching staff for the Dogs.

If Scherbak is close in ability to Galchenyuk, why was he available at #26? I'm pretty sure the Bruins wouldn't trade Pastrnak (drafted at #25), who just had a 2-goal game, for Scherbak.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Scherbak is close in ability to Galchenyuk, why was he available at #26? I'm pretty sure the Bruins wouldn't trade Pastrnak (drafted at #25), who just had a 2-goal game, for Scherbak.

Russian factor from what I've heard. I don't know what his NHL upside is, but he does remind me of Galchenyuk when I see him play, they look very similar to me. Not saying he will be as good, also I wouldn't put too much stock into where a player is selected in the draft.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Russian factor from what I've heard. I don't know what his NHL upside is, but he does remind me of Galchenyuk when I see him play, they look very similar to me. Not saying he will be as good, also I wouldn't put too much stock into where a player is selected in the draft.

I hope you're right. in which case it would be a steal for the Habs.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

I also wouldn't put too much stock into what Pastrnak is doing in a short stint with a Bruins team looking to inject anyone into the top 6. Jan Bulis scored 4 goals in a game once too. For all we know, Boston would gladly trade him for Scherbak even despite this. It's hard to say where a guy would be taken 6 months later.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I don't think Scherbak is as good as Galchenyuk but they have very similar skill sets, size and personalities which is why people draw a lot of comparisons between them. If they didn't have names or numbers on their jersey's, I think most would be hard pressed to determine who was who on the ice, even if Galchenyuk is an over all better player.

From what I heard/read about the draft, if the Habs didn't get Scherby they were going to trade the pick. He was the one player the hoped they could get at their position and were extremely surprised and happy he was there when they chose.

By all accounts he could have been a top 10 pick if he wasn't Russian and like many young Russians before him, he dropped in the draft. In fact, he was the 1st Russian taken in the draft at 26. Valeri Nichushkin was taken at 10 in 2013, Mikhail Grigorenko was taken at 12 the year before that and Vladimir Tarasenko was taken 16th in 2010. All these players were considered top 10 or top 5 players but dropped in the draft due to the "Russian" effect so I wouldn't put too much stock in draft order.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't think Scherbak is as good as Galchenyuk but they have very similar skill sets, size and personalities which is why people draw a lot of comparisons between them. If they didn't have names or numbers on their jersey's, I think most would be hard pressed to determine who was who on the ice, even if Galchenyuk is an over all better player.

From what I heard/read about the draft, if the Habs didn't get Scherby they were going to trade the pick. He was the one player the hoped they could get at their position and were extremely surprised and happy he was there when they chose.

By all accounts he could have been a top 10 pick if he wasn't Russian and like many young Russians before him, he dropped in the draft. In fact, he was the 1st Russian taken in the draft at 26. Valeri Nichushkin was taken at 10 in 2013, Mikhail Grigorenko was taken at 12 the year before that and Vladimir Tarasenko was taken 16th in 2010. All these players were considered top 10 or top 5 players but dropped in the draft due to the "Russian" effect so I wouldn't put too much stock in draft order.

I think the other factor to consider is that Scherbak literally came outta nowhere, possibly a ND player to a first round talent in the span of the season. Top that with him having to play the incredibly under the radar Saskatoon Blades squad last season (cause they kinda sucked hard), and you have a prospect that had a certain......air of mystery to him. And that's even before getting into the Russian factor business.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think the other factor to consider is that Scherbak literally came outta nowhere, possibly a ND player to a first round talent in the span of the season. Top that with him having to play the incredibly under the radar Saskatoon Blades squad last season (cause they kinda sucked hard), and you have a prospect that had a certain......air of mystery to him. And that's even before getting into the Russian factor business.

That's a very good point as well.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Exactly what I was going to post......it really is the perfect storm scenario as far as a late first round steal goes.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Man, Pastrnak, think we would have drafted him if Boston didn't nab him?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Ya I wonder how they rank on TT liste, they will probably both be great picks

No kidding, hard to believe they were drafted at #25 an #26, seems too good to be true.

But Pastrnak if you've seen his game in the NHL, it's so simple.. Puck protection always where he needs to be, just seems effortless.

I'm a little jealous of the Bruins right now for it, but that's only because I haven't had the chance to see Scherbaks NHL game.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I also wouldn't put too much stock into what Pastrnak is doing in a short stint with a Bruins team looking to inject anyone into the top 6. Jan Bulis scored 4 goals in a game once too. For all we know, Boston would gladly trade him for Scherbak even despite this. It's hard to say where a guy would be taken 6 months later.

It's still way too early but Pastrnak is looking like a future superstar in the making. The kid is actually a few months younger than Scherbak (doesn't turn 19 until after the season) and was above a PPG player in the AHL. He has had a couple of strong NHL games and has already scored 4 goals (5 pts in 8 games).

From what we've seen so far, you absolutely would trade Scherbak for Pastrnak from the Habs POV. Both are gigantic steals though.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Pastrnak is definitely a steal. Too soon to say for Scherbak. Other players performed in Juniors to fade away in the NHL. Saying he's the big deal just yet is a bit early, even if it looks good.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's too soon to say for Pastrnak as well. He has played a single digit number of games at the NHL level. Both players are looking promising. The end.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's too soon to say for Pastrnak as well. He has played a single digit number of games at the NHL level. Both players are looking promising. The end.

I'm just not going to go ahead and say Scherbak is on the same level as Pastrnak yet, since he's still playing in the WHL, and Pastrnak is playing in the NHL less than one year after being drafted. I like optimism but Habs fans should stop saying "Well Pastrnak and Scherbak are both steals". Pastrnak has done something impressive, as for Scherbak, we don't even know if he'll be able to have the same amount of points as Pastrnak in the AHL when he'll be 20.

I think it's about having an inferiority complex with the Bruins. You guys are so blinded with your hate for them that you can't see how any single GM in this league would trade Scherbak for Pastrnak tomorrow morning if they had the chance.

They put their hands on a very good one. If Scherbak one day comes close to that, we'll be happy.

It's like the Main Boards syndrome. Whenever a Habs does something good, you see a thread about it. Whenever it's about someone who does good, you see Habs fans coming in masses to say how Player X on the Habs is just as good. It's annoying, and it's the kind of attitude that makes us so hated around this league/on these boards. We're incredibly obnoxious.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Pastrnak looks like a steal and a stud simply because he hasn't had a chance to look bad yet. Happens every time a guy jumps to the NHL and gets off to a red hot start (which isn't all that uncommon). Nothing to do with "hating on the Bruins". It happened to us with Matt D'Agostini too. Happened to all the people who saw David Perron playing in the NHL immediately after being drafted and wished we picked him instead of Pacioretty or McDonagh.

It's like the monstrous Tomas Hertl hype last year when everything he touched went into the net and he was a god and a steal and stud. Maybe he still will be eventually but that talk quieted down considerably this year now that the adrenaline's cooled off and teams are checking him closer and he has to do it over 82 games as opposed to, say, a 15 game stretch (16 points in 44 games so far this year).

They put their hands on a very good one. If Scherbak one day comes close to that, we'll be happy.

See, I don't understand what you're saying here. If Scherbak one day comes close to scoring 5 points in 8 games we'll be happy? You're acting like Pastrnak won the Art Ross or something.

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I'm just not going to go ahead and say Scherbak is on the same level as Pastrnak yet, since he's still playing in the WHL, and Pastrnak is playing in the NHL less than one year after being drafted. I like optimism but Habs fans should stop saying "Well Pastrnak and Scherbak are both steals". Pastrnak has done something impressive, as for Scherbak, we don't even know if he'll be able to have the same amount of points as Pastrnak in the AHL when he'll be 20.

I think it's about having an inferiority complex with the Bruins. You guys are so blinded with your hate for them that you can't see how any single GM in this league would trade Scherbak for Pastrnak tomorrow morning if they had the chance.

It's like the Main Boards syndrome. Whenever a Habs does something good, you see a thread about it. Whenever it's about someone who does good, you see Habs fans coming in masses to say how Player X on the Habs is just as good. It's annoying, and it's the kind of attitude that makes us so hated around this league/on these boards. We're incredibly obnoxious.
Really? :laugh:

1st of all screw the inferiority complex argument cause we've had their number since forever and we're ahead of them in the standings, so that's just plain wrong crap.

As for the Pastrnak vs Scherbak debate, what counts is the end result, not how fast they get out of the gate. There's thousands of examples out there. Scherbak is bigger, faster, and is more in the play making role, Pastrnak is like a better Sebastian Collberg who's very well sheltered playing with Lucic. Time will tell who got the better one.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Pastrnak looks like a steal and a stud simply because he hasn't had a chance to look bad yet. Happens every time a guy jumps to the NHL and gets off to a red hot start (which isn't all that uncommon). Nothing to do with "hating on the Bruins". It happened to us with Matt D'Agostini too. Happened to all the people who saw David Perron playing in the NHL immediately after being drafted and wished we picked him instead of Pacioretty or McDonagh.

It's like the monstrous Tomas Hertl hype last year when everything he touched went into the net and he was a god and a steal and stud. Maybe he still will be eventually but that talk quieted down considerably this year now that the adrenaline's cooled off and teams are checking him closer and he has to do it over 82 games as opposed to, say, a 15 game stretch (16 points in 44 games so far this year).

See, I don't understand what you're saying here. If Scherbak one day comes close to scoring 5 points in 8 games we'll be happy? You're acting like Pastrnak won the Art Ross or something.

Really? :laugh:

1st of all screw the inferiority complex argument cause we've had their number since forever and we're ahead of them in the standings, so that's just plain wrong crap.

As for the Pastrnak vs Scherbak debate, what counts is the end result, not how fast they get out of the gate. There's thousands of examples out there. Scherbak is bigger, faster, and is more in the play making role, Pastrnak is like a better Sebastian Collberg who's very well sheltered playing with Lucic. Time will tell who got the better one.

What would Scherbak do in the NHL? In the AHL? I don't see him doing as good as Pastrnak. Right now, the steal is Pastrnak. Saying we stole a player when he's still playing in a Junior league and qualfiying him as the same level as someone who's playing professional is wishful thinking. It's not honest.

For what we know, another guy in the 2nd round could outproduce both. Right now though, odds are that it's too soon to call a guy who hasn't played a professional game a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->