Nikita "Marschak" Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I like that Scherbak is getting his points in almost every game he plays. He's not having a bunch of 3-5 pt games that you rarely see in the NHL. He's just a model of consistency.

His production consistency is very impressive indeed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
51 points in 34 games the year after his draft.
Galchenyuk had 61 points in 33 games in a more offensive league the year after his draft.

Considering where we picked Scherbak, there are good reasons to believe he'll get a shot next season. I just hope he skips the SLY step.

agreed, plus if the current coaching staff in Hamilton is back, I would much rather see Scherbak in the NHL then working with them in the AHL. The Habs can't mess up his development as he's our #1 prospect imo and for a team that needs more offense, hopefully at some point in the near future he's the answer.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
1 goal so far after 20 ... Sniped off faceoff

I was at the game last night and Scherbak was pretty terrible. I was really hoping to see him flying around but he looked completely disinterested out there. Poor D zone coverage, poor passing....just didn't look into it at all. However, most of the Silvertip players were in the same boat, so I won't hold it against him.

They go from beating one of the better teams to being completely out played/hustled by a team that just traded away all their top players. Could just be as simple as the road trip getting to them.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I have no problem with Scherbak playing a full year in the AHL next year (McCaron too for that matter). I think it helps tremendously to play professional hockey for a year before the NHL. Ultimately I think it accelerates development. The guys that struggle are the ones that are destined for a scoring role and jump into the NHL too soon and struggle to produce, sometimes they never recover and never develop that offensive game (see Eller, Lars). I think it's better to play in the AHL until you're a consistent producer, then you go in the NHL and EXPECT yourself to produce, instead of "well maybe next year" for a few seasons and then fizzling out.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
I was at the game last night and Scherbak was pretty terrible. I was really hoping to see him flying around but he looked completely disinterested out there. Poor D zone coverage, poor passing....just didn't look into it at all. However, most of the Silvertip players were in the same boat, so I won't hold it against him.

They go from beating one of the better teams to being completely out played/hustled by a team that just traded away all their top players. Could just be as simple as the road trip getting to them.

End of a long road trip for them which could be the rea..son why. The entire team looked awful and tired

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The most important element of Lucic's game is not on your list:

Mental weakness.

His hyper-emotional state has cost him penalties, production, and league-wide credibility. He's been a non-factor against the Habs because he is consistently psyched out, and now his angry, sulky tantrums have affected his entire season. He's gone from a fan favourite to an HF trade-proposal.

McCarron may not reach Lucic's highest upside, but he could easily avoid sinking to Lucic's lowest behaviour.

It's actually my list but you're right, I never thought of him in that way. The comparison is still there when you think about strengths, physical attributes and potential. I think immaturity is Lucic's main undoing, I'm wondering if it's the Bruin factor, the Bruin way of doing things that maybe drags him down to a lower level in that aspect? I would still take him on my team though :)

I think we can all agree that we hope he has all of Lucic's strengths and none of his personality.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think we can all agree that we hope he has all of Lucic's strengths and none of his personality.

So Lucic's personality is not a strength? Can't understand why not, when you consider that he supposedly AUTHORED a book with an anti-bullying message.

Or was that "community service" for some misdeed?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I have no problem with Scherbak playing a full year in the AHL next year (McCaron too for that matter). I think it helps tremendously to play professional hockey for a year before the NHL. Ultimately I think it accelerates development. The guys that struggle are the ones that are destined for a scoring role and jump into the NHL too soon and struggle to produce, sometimes they never recover and never develop that offensive game (see Eller, Lars). I think it's better to play in the AHL until you're a consistent producer, then you go in the NHL and EXPECT yourself to produce, instead of "well maybe next year" for a few seasons and then fizzling out.

Its seems to me though that the AHL can have a counter balance effect...

Especially with the coaching staff down in Hamilton.

Scherbak will get a look for sure and it would be nice if he sticks but I think he will do up and down time with the Habs/Hamilton next year. Same for McCarron. Having both those guys available though will be nice.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

:( Well that sucks.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Sounds like... the Habs...

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Its seems to me though that the AHL can have a counter balance effect...

Especially with the coaching staff down in Hamilton.

Scherbak will get a look for sure and it would be nice if he sticks but I think he will do up and down time with the Habs/Hamilton next year. Same for McCarron. Having both those guys available though will be nice.

Yes, very true. The coaching staff in Hamilton is indeed sub par. There's been nothing about renewing his contract though so hopefully they're going to make a change. Benoit Groulx maybe!? We can dream! :handclap:

Sounds like... the Habs...

I'll take that as a sign he's going to make it! :sarcasm:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
agreed, plus if the current coaching staff in Hamilton is back, I would much rather see Scherbak in the NHL then working with them in the AHL. The Habs can't mess up his development as he's our #1 prospect imo and for a team that needs more offense, hopefully at some point in the near future he's the answer.

Disagreed. a year of riding the bus, and getting use to a professional schedule is important.

If Patrick Roy could ride the bus with $100m in the bank for 10 years to learn coaching, our kids can spend one year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

Plus, you don't burn a year of their eligibility and keep th from getting ufa money a year longer.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Disagreed. a year of riding the bus, and getting use to a professional schedule is important.

If Patrick Roy could ride the bus with $100m in the bank for 10 years to learn coaching, our kids can spend one year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

Plus, you don't burn a year of their eligibility and keep th from getting ufa money a year longer.

Regarding the UFA eligibility, we would not burn a year so long as Scherbak's maximum games on the NHL roster in 2015-16 is 39. Same situation as Pacioretty in 08-09.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
As far im realy happy about his performances this year, im pretty concern about his sniping accuracy. I think the guys was something one of the top goal scorer 15-20 games agoand seems to have some difficulties to add somes since then

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
As far im realy happy about his performances this year, im pretty concern about his sniping accuracy. I think the guys was something one of the top goal scorer 15-20 games agoand seems to have some difficulties to add somes since then

Please. Scherbak has averaged 0.6 goals per game from October to December. 7G/10GP in October, 5G/10GP in November and 6G/10GP in December. Right now he's at 2 goals in 5 games in January... only one goal behind his pace of the previous three months.

Keep in mind that he has exactly the same scoring statistics in the first 5 games of January as he had in the first 5 games of December. He scored 4 goals in the last 5 games of December and he can do it again in January. Even if he doesn't he may well get 10 goals over his next 15 games.

He has been ridiculously consistent this year and that also goes for goal scoring.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Please. Scherbak has averaged 0.6 goals per game from October to December. 7G/10GP in October, 5G/10GP in November and 6G/10GP in December. Right now he's at 2 goals in 5 games in January... only one goal behind his pace of the previous three months.

Keep in mind that he has exactly the same scoring statistics in the first 5 games of January as he had in the first 5 games of December. He scored 4 goals in the last 5 games of December and he can do it again in January. Even if he doesn't he may well get 10 goals over his next 15 games.

He has been ridiculously consistent this year and that also goes for goal scoring.

Thanks to back me in track :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad