Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Going back to the 90s, I've watched a lot of great players on a nightly basis. Kucherov is the latest guy I feel lucky to watch. I think it feels extra special when you understand the guy's dedication and work ethic.

Agreed. I find myself turning off the game mentally as I watch him to take it all in for a moment to appreciate who and what I am watching. I never thought it would be difficult to talk to other people about just how good he is.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
He really is a special player. As much as I get the desire to compare him to other guys (I can see a little of Bure and Datsyuk at various times, and Slava Kozlov is an interesting comparison), the reality is that he's his own player, and what I think most of us are seeing in him are just the hallmarks of the Russian game. The way Kuch plays is just unmistakeably Russian. But he's putting his own spin on it. From here on out fans will be comparing the next young Russian phenom to Kuch.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He really is a special player. As much as I get the desire to compare him to other guys (I can see a little of Bure and Datsyuk at various times, and Slava Kozlov is an interesting comparison), the reality is that he's his own player, and what I think most of us are seeing in him are just the hallmarks of the Russian game. The way Kuch plays is just unmistakeably Russian. But he's putting his own spin on it. From here on out fans will be comparing the next young Russian phenom to Kuch.

I can't stress enough that I see Slava as a very poor man's version of Kuch. But Slava was a fast player who liked to slow the game down at times, had good hands, good vision, and a good shot. If you take that same style of play and upgrade all those "goods" to "greats," you have a player pretty similar to Kucherov.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I can't stress enough that I see Slava as a very poor man's version of Kuch. But Slava was a fast player who liked to slow the game down at times, had good hands, good vision, and a good shot. If you take that same style of play and upgrade all those "goods" to "greats," you have a player pretty similar to Kucherov.
I can see it. A bit of the ability to pass right through defenders, and to kind of disappear in plain sight, too. A touch of that strange and mysticial side of Russian hockey that nobody really understands.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So what's up with Kuch? We all know he gets frustrated if things don't go his way - and most of the time he's visibly angry at himself. Just the other day Coop said something along the lines of "we have to get him (Kuch) the puck... but he needs to shoot it". But what we see is Kuch going for the pretty play way too often - instead of making the simple play.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So what's up with Kuch? We all know he gets frustrated if things don't go his way - and most of the time he's visibly angry at himself. Just the other day Coop said something along the lines of "we have to get him (Kuch) the puck... but he needs to shoot it". But what we see is Kuch going for the pretty play way to often - instead of making the simple play.

Teams are adjusting also with a heavier forecheck. I think that is why the lines were being juggled last night to mix some of our better puck possession forwards around and get something going.

I want to Point and Stamkos swap for one game and see how that works out.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
When Kuch slumps he slumps hard. Happens every year. He lights it up for a few weeks then takes 1-2 off where we all complain how lazy he is and about his lack of effort. Its frustrating but it comes with him as a player. Its happened the last 3-4 years

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
When Kuch slumps he slumps hard. Happens every year. He lights it up for a few weeks then takes 1-2 off where we all complain how lazy he is and about his lack of effort. Its frustrating but it comes with him as a player. Its happened the last 3-4 years
I wouldn't be that specific. The whole team looks like they need a pit stop. You can't win 82 in a row.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I wouldn't be that specific. The whole team looks like they need a pit stop. You can't win 82 in a row.
The whole team isn't look good right now, I'm not just blaming Kuch but simply stating that Kuch goes through these slumps every year and that they're nothing new.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The whole team isn't look good right now, I'm not just blaming Kuch but simply stating that Kuch goes through these slumps every year and that they're nothing new.
Eh - some players are playing normally and the puck is hopping/bad luck/stuff like that. Some are playing well below their normal level.

Kucherov (and Stamkos) are playing well below their normal level.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I just want to see the main boards get so pissed again.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sure but I still don't see a big discount. $11+ mil is my guess. If Kuch wins the Art Ross (very good chance), he'll have yet another bargaining chip.
Maybe. I don't care. Hedman and Stamkos are cheaper than their production, we'll have money coming off of the books. We'll re-sign him - maybe for a lot, maybe for less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad