Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillycheesesteak

Jun 27, 2013
So last night I was playing NHL '13 and simulated two years and saw that Tampa had a player Nikita Kucherov that was rated 88 with insane offensive skills and great potential. That is how i discovered him haha. So i looked him up online and saw that he has some absolutely insane numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123889

4 points in 18 games in the KHL as a 18/19 not terrible. But it is his QMJHL numbers that really stood out. 33 games, 29 goals, 63 points and 24 points in 14 playoff games. He obviously has plans of playing in the NHL since he came to North America to finish off his junior career. I started to read about him and saw that he isn't really hyped up at all.

So, is this guy good? Do you expect him to make the team next year? What are his flaws?

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
So last night I was playing NHL '13 and simulated two years and saw that Tampa had a player Nikita Kucherov that was rated 88 with insane offensive skills and great potential. That is how i discovered him haha. So i looked him up online and saw that he has some absolutely insane numbers.

4 points in 18 games in the KHL as a 18/19 not terrible. But it is his QMJHL numbers that really stood out. 33 games, 29 goals, 63 points and 24 points in 14 playoff games. He obviously has plans of playing in the NHL since he came to North America to finish off his junior career. I started to read about him and saw that he isn't really hyped up at all.

So, is this guy good? Do you expect him to make the team next year? What are his flaws?

He's slated to skate with AHL Syracuse this year in a scoring line role, to replenish some of the scoring talent that will move up to Tampa this year. His main flaw during his draft year was the Red Scare, but he's been working hard at taking English classes, making his defense better, living in North America during the offseason, so the classic Russian Factor fear seems to have been just a fear.

I don't think it's biased to suggest he had first-round talent but slipped to the late second primarily because of fears that now seem to be unfounded. If he has a big year in Syracuse the hype train might keep rolling along a bit more. Like most skilled wingers he could improve his defense but he's shown a willingness to work on it, and his attitude so far has matched his talent.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I expect him to play in the AHL next year and then possibly get a few games with the big club to see how he does. SY is being really patient with his prospects. Which is a good thing IMO. We have so many solid forward prospects come through the ranks and its just a matter of these guys developing and reaching their potential and then getting their shot in the NHL. As far as Kucherov's skills and ability, he is easily one of our most polished and skilled prospects that we have. He should be a dangerous player when he's ready to come up and be full time with TB.

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He should be more hyped. I don't know if it's because he's Russian or because he wasn't a 1st rounder but he's been one of the best goal scorers if not the best goal scorer everywhere he's gone.

2010 World Jr A Challenge - 2 goals in 4 games (tied for 1st in points)
2011 U-18 - 11 goals in 7 games (1st in goals/ holds tournament record for points)
2011 Super Series - 4 goals in 6 games (1st in goals)
2012 MHL - 24 goals in 23 games (1st in gpg)
2013 WJC - 5 goals in 7 games (tied for 3rd in goals/ tied for 1st in game winners)
2013 QMJHL - 29 goals in 33 games (26g in 27 with Rouyn-Noranda)
2013 QMJHL playoffs - 9 goals in 14 games

Don't ask Hockey'sFuture though

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/92411/tampa-bay-lightning-2013-draft-preview/
Although the Lightning have many offensively gifted forwards in the organization, they lack an elite scoring threat. Kucherov and Panik both project as scoring line wingers, but neither can be considered elite.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...sive-group-of-prospects-with-elite-potential/
The Lightning's prospect pool could use more depth at center, and there are no true goal-scorers in the pipeline either.
:rolleyes:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He should be more hyped. I don't know if it's because he's Russian or because he wasn't a 1st rounder but he's been one of the best goal scorers if not the best goal scorer everywhere he's gone.

2011 U-18 - 11 goals in 7 games (1st in goals/ holds tournament record for points)
2013 WJC - 5 goals in 7 games (tied for 3rd in goals/ tied for 1st in game winners)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/92411/tampa-bay-lightning-2013-draft-preview/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...sive-group-of-prospects-with-elite-potential/

Days as always you are one of most knowledgeable people on this forum or any I have found. Kucherov is interesting true story he actually went up to stevie and told stevie I want to come to states is no truth in me wanting to be in khl etc.. that is how we got him he wanted to come to TAMPA. He does everything asked and reallyd did work on english. He also has a knack for being big game big time big moment scorer!! The best slap shot I feel or have seen of any prospects we have. If he doesnt make NHL this year which I figure at one point he will be there next. He is elite in my opinion needs to work on more muscle weight but we sent a weight coach with him and richard for this summer. I agree with bolt prospects he comes up immediately but is sent back down due to our roster but if we go deep playoff push he will be there in tampa at end of year and dont see him ever going down again. His game gets better the more pressure the situation and those things are something you cant teach. His defense two way game is growing fast. Besides drouin and vasi I put him third as our best prospect. He seems special.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

More than likely two years out. Alleged flaws were selfishness and a bad attitude, according to Patrick Roy, yet there have been nothing but glowing reviews from others. Needs to be consistently responsible in his own end, isn't bad at all now but just like any kid needs just a little improvement. World class shot. Very good, not great skater. Can and will fire from anywhere.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

It impresses me how much guys pass over Nesterov, Korobov, Sergeev, Sustr, and especially Koekkoek. People seem to **** all over him because of injury.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
hes very talented but can be quite frustrating from time to time

doesnt always give 100% effort and sometime he just goes for the fancy play over and over

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
It impresses me how much guys pass over Nesterov, Korobov, Sergeev, Sustr, and especially Koekkoek. People seem to **** all over him because of injury.

These two especially. To me, Sustr was outstanding in the AHL playoffs, especially considering that he hadn't really played with the team all season and basically just came out of college hockey.

Koekkoek constantly being rated so low on the prospect rankings is the most surprising though. Guy has basically been written off by every prospect website, aside from Bolts ones. One good, injury free season in juniors will see his stock rocket though and everyone will start to take notice. He certainly has the skating ability, size and offensive instincts to dominate.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
These two especially. To me, Sustr was outstanding in the AHL playoffs, especially considering that he hadn't really played with the team all season and basically just came out of college hockey.

Koekkoek constantly being rated so low on the prospect rankings is the most surprising though. Guy has basically been written off by every prospect website, aside from Bolts ones. One good, injury free season in juniors will see his stock rocket though and everyone will start to take notice. He certainly has the skating ability, size and offensive instincts to dominate.

Can't wait for Slater to silence all the critics.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
Bump

You Lightning fans are so spoiled with the riches of your prospect pool that one of the most dynamic players in his age group in the World gets so little attention. Put Kucherov on tons of other teams and the fans would be having to buy new pants all the time due to unsightly, constant wet spots!

Seriously, this guy is gonna be really, really good and you are very lucky to have Stevie Y running the show as he is well on his way to building a perennial powerhouse, imo.

Reactions: toten

Kopifart

Jun 29, 2011
I would say he is your top prospect excluding drouin since he probably will be in the nhl. He at least has the most offensive upside imo.

HedsUp77Up

Feb 19, 2013
I would say he is your top prospect excluding drouin since he probably will be in the nhl. He at least has the most offensive upside imo.
I would say Vasilevskiy is our top prospect outside Drouin. That being said, Kucherov certainly is a very exciting prospect with tons of offensive upside, as you say. I can't wait to see what he can do in the AHL in the upcoming season.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
any fear of this guy bolting to the khl? kid has been unreal every time i have seen him play and i would love to see him in the nhl

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
One thing about Yzerman/Murray is they really know if a Russian wants to come over or not. Kucherov came over and seems to love it according to his twitter, Nesterov wanted to come over years ago and now is here and Vasilevskiy wants to be in Tampa Bay so much he wears a Lightning mask in the KHL and had to be told by the Russian team to take off his Lightning shirt when he was photographed for the WJC.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
any fear of this guy bolting to the khl? kid has been unreal every time i have seen him play and i would love to see him in the nhl

Rumor has it that Kucherov went directly looking for stevie on draft day and told him I want to play for you in tampa and come to NHL. I do not know if he did that to other GM's just that is the rumor from other players in our franchise. He has seriously worked on english and loves it over here so I do not see him interested at all in KHL. Him and richard seem to be loving life in canada even boltsprospects said we should have a reality show on those two this summer lol.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
thats great news for your organization...I love the young talent on your team; Panik, Palat, Kucherov, of course Drouin, Johnson, Killorn, even Stamkos is still not even at his prime yet, Connolly, Hedman, Barberio...unbelievable...I look forward to seeing this team succeed...oh forgot Vasilevsky somehow...good future.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
More than likely two years out. Alleged flaws were selfishness and a bad attitude, according to Patrick Roy, yet there have been nothing but glowing reviews from others. Needs to be consistently responsible in his own end, isn't bad at all now but just like any kid needs just a little improvement. World class shot. Very good, not great skater. Can and will fire from anywhere.

I wouldnt take anything Roy said as gospel he has always seemed an ahole to me:) Yet im a detroit red wings fan so that didnt help him at all:)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
hes very talented but can be quite frustrating from time to time

doesnt always give 100% effort and sometime he just goes for the fancy play over and over

Where do you feel this or have seen this? I have only seen highlights of worlds etc.. and development camp?

I never saw him try any fancy plays I saw him set up at a circle and slap the goaltender into saying stop this if you can which so far not many can lol.

I have never heard also anyone say didnt give effort.

Roy has said a lot of things about a lot of players. I wonder if was for his own benefit so he could grab such players easily when he truly wants them etc..?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If TB somehow can get their hands on Grigorenko and put the Red Army line back together with Sergeev on D it could be a one of a kind secret weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->