Player Discussion: Nikita Gusev

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He wasn't coming over before terminating his contract anyway. That's the first time we see a North American journalist having an [apparent] inside source about Gusev tho. Prior that it was all fan made speculation. Joe Smith is reliable, there might have been some talks between Gusev and Tampa lately, that alone is positive.

Still, I saw there are conflicting reports from a KHL insider who claimed a few hours back that Gusev was on the verge of re-signing for the next 2 years with St.Petersburgh. So take the whole story with a grain of salt, but making that kind of announcement has been a typical SKA strategy to put pressure on the players that want out. Wait and ******* see.

Either way good on Gusev for how he's handled all this. It's hard to tell what sources and statements are valid but I cannot possibly fault him for his choices. Even if he never came to the Lightning, I'd be hard pressed to argue against winning more championships and making a name for himself in the KHL. I'd love to see him here but it's best to follow his heart.

And good point about SKA strategy... should Kovalchuk opt out then SKA faces tremendous pressure to retain Gusev

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gusev should have been enough !
The picks thrown in : (

Doesn't seem like anyone's confident he's coming over any time soon. Can't see Gusev being enough to make this deal happen. We had to offer more than LV could have gotten for either Koekkoek or Dotchin (maybe a 2nd for either?), plus a little something to take Garrison.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I doubt Gusev was going to come over any time soon. At least not this next season.

Not only does he have one year left on his current contract, though there was word that he wanted to negotiate a new 2 yr contract that would be a very decent payday, but he also will probably want to participate in the Olympics for Russia.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I think, if he ever comes to the NHL it won't be until he is UFA. Why come here and play for 1 year ELC $, when he can earn 10x that in the KHL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, the comments around the situation make it look like he's not close to coming over. So, while he's definitely a skilled prospect, he likely wasn't the most valuable asset.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sucks we lost Gusev, guy has future star written all over him. But I heard McPhee mention that if Yzerman didn't trade him to them they would've taken Sustr. Much rather lose Gusev and any number of picks it would've taken to not have lose Sustr. Now we don't need to dip into free agency because we get to keep a player who's miles better than anybody we could sign on July 1st. Yzerman took McPhee to the cleaners on this deal.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sucks we lost Gusev, guy has future star written all over him. But I heard McPhee mention that if Yzerman didn't trade him to them they would've taken Sustr. Much rather lose Gusev and any number of picks it would've taken to not have lose Sustr. Now we don't need to dip into free agency because we get to keep a player who's miles better than anybody we could sign on July 1st. Yzerman took McPhee to the cleaners on this deal.

Savage!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
12 goals 15 assists 27 points in 18 games and leading the KHL in scoring. I know he's not "ours" anymore but I thought it was worth mentioning.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If he decides to come over in the future, he'll be a UFA.

Indeed. For selfish reasons that's why I bumped the thread because due to that fact it's worth keeping an eye on him. For all we know we would be a preferred destination but that's not for a few more years and I'm sure Gusev is hardly even thinking about it.

I would like to think that we are a preferred spot for him. Playing with your best friend is hard to pass up and playing with your best friend that may just win a Cup because you come along is even better.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Several people on the trade board were saying that VGK would hold his rights indefinitely because there was no transfer agreement.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Several people on the trade board were saying that VGK would hold his rights indefinitely because there was no transfer agreement.
Pretty sure that's not what the CBA says. He was drafted - never got an NHL contract - according to the CBA he becomes a UFA when he's 27.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Well, it's been mentioned in the trade board thread about it and there's a poster or two gloating on the VGK board in the Gusev thread. I guess we'll see who's disappointed in 2020 or whenever his KHL contract ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->