Nikita Alexeev

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

He seemed like such a good prospect a while back...but he doesnt seem to do anything now...how did it all fall apart?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Ron Hainsey can probably exchange some nice stories with him on being a big, strong, talented, highly hyped first rounder who can't produce...even at the AHL level. :cry:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
bruins4777 said:
He seemed like such a good prospect a while back...but he doesnt seem to do anything now...how did it all fall apart?

He was highly hyped because of his size and his wonderful skating ability. Amazing agility for a guy who's 6'5".

But he doesn't have much in the way of hockey sense and isn't a natural finisher, and won't produce at a top-6 level in the NHL (and hasn't even in 3 years in the AHL for that matter). At the same time, he lacks the grit and intensity to be a quality checking-line player, so it's really hard to see what he projects as. Then he got hurt, and missed most of last year.

15 points in 38 games in the AHL this season. He'll probably get more NHL chances because he looks so good while accomplishing not very much, although I doubt he'll ever be an effective NHL player.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Maybe I haven't watched the right games. His skating is really fine and all... but the "wonderful" and "
amazing" tags I disagree with. They make you envision something that Alexeev is not, IMO.

He's got good skating for a guy his size, but this is blown out of proportion Pyatt-style.

This guy has almost nothing as advertsised. He was said to be a willing player who works, could throw his body around and was lightning fast. He is none of that. Everytime I see him he floats, he plays like a big wuss and he just has good, smooth skating for a big guy.

I am ill when I see such a big guy skate with a purse and a pink skirt. Every time I saw him, he looked like Daze out there, minus all the skills. That's absolutely horrible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vlad The Impaler said:
Maybe I haven't watched the right games. His skating is really fine and all... but the "wonderful" and "
amazing" tags I disagree with. They make you envision something that Alexeev is not, IMO.

He's got good skating for a guy his size, but this is blown out of proportion Pyatt-style.

This guy has almost nothing as advertsised. He was said to be a willing player who works, could throw his body around and was lightning fast. He is none of that. Everytime I see him he floats, he plays like a big wuss and he just has good, smooth skating for a big guy.

I am ill when I see such a big guy skate with a purse and a pink skirt. Every time I saw him, he looked like Daze out there, minus all the skills. That's absolutely horrible.

I'll disagree on his skating. His first-step quickness is as good as anything I've ever seen in a player that big. Very quick feet. Most big guys, even if they're smooth or have top-end speed, are still slow off the mark.

The rest I agree with. Nice physical package but nothing else. No drive, no hockey sense.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
When a player who's 6'5" and wins a fastest skater competition at the Prospects Game, it makes the scouts drool. He was actually projected to be a mid-first round pick in 2000, but Tampa couldn't say no to his size and skating. Most of his other skills actually aren't that bad, either, but he hasn't been able to put everything together on a moderately consistent basis. He never even put up huge numbers in the OHL. He lacks heart and hockey sense and, to steal the old cliche, has the tools, but no toolbox.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Smirnov is in the same situation.

They will probably both be busts. :shakehead

Then you have Yakubov and Vorobiev from the same first round as well.

I don't know as much about them.

petec1978*

Alexeev really does have world class burst Vlad, but like you said he floats. The games I've seen the Falcons play, Alexeev hasn't shown it, but its there.

He has no heart. None.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Then you have Yakubov and Vorobiev from the same first round as well.

I don't know as much about them.
Yak is slowly developing, learning the defensive side. If there was an NHL season, he'd be on the 3rd line w/ the Blackhawks with an outside chance at being the #2 center. Vorobiev is still trying to catch up after losing most of the 2001-02 season with knee problems. Would likely have been on the 3rd line w/ the Hawks. Neither player's offensive game is helped any by Norfolk's style of play ... they don't even average 2.5 goals per game. Neither are exactly busts, but when they were drafted, they were hailed as future top-end 2nd liners. Now most of us would be happy if they ended up as quality 3rd liners.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Boltprospects said:
Alexeev really does have world class burst Vlad, but like you said he floats. The games I've seen the Falcons play, Alexeev hasn't shown it, but its there.

He has no heart. None.

Maybe he's so lazy he didn't even try when I saw him. :D

I sure didn't see the fantastic skating (it was very good for a big guy, though) but I will take your opinion for now.

Like I said, maybe I mostly saw him on very bad days.

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Alexeev problem teally isn't skating... it's work ethic and hockey sense. He does have great speed when he switch the second gear. He can be physical, I seen he be a couple of time a when he does he's quite good at it... the problem in both subject really is the WHEN.

He'll always get more chance due to his size, and I think he might still make it as decent NHL player... but due to the lack of hockey sense he'll always have to work the extra notch (A la primeau) wich I'm not sure he's ready to do :dunno:

Last edited:

petec1978*

I sure didn't see the fantastic skating (it was very good for a big guy, though) but I will take your opinion for now.

There have been more than a couple of times when he has been up with Tampa that I have seen seasoned NHL veterans just get blown by to the outside by his speed. If he catches you even remotely flat footed on a rush, he will make you look like a fool. Outside of St. Louis and Boyle, I would say Alexeev has the best skating ability of anyone in the Lightning organization, about even with Lecavalier.

Of course, that's on the days he gives a rat's butt. The Lightning basically handed him a scoring line job with Lecavalier last season in training camp and he was so incredibly guttless and dispassionate in scrimmages and practices he went from that to not making the team nor even playing an NHL game the entire season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->