Prospect Info: Nikita Alexandrov, Centre, 62nd Overall

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Not a bad pick considering that they wanted a "safe" pick without a 1st Rounder. Alexandrov has soft hands, is a decent skater (and can improve that), and he has good lower-body strength and balance, and will be hard to push off the puck, and he goes to the front of the net. He should be a lock for a 3rd line centre position in The NHL, and might be a 2nd liner for a few peak years, or, at least, a good fill in on The 2nd Line. He's got a nice shot, too. He place defence decently, as well. I like the pick. There wasn't an outstanding defenceman left on the board that I'd want instead (The Blues' system needs to continue the flow of forwards, and can take a chance on a defenceman developing (as they develop more slowly than forwards- so a draftee has no guarantee of providing NHL help soon).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Here’s more Scott Wheeler on Alexandrov (echos my feeling about him almost exactly)

Ranked 32:
Alexandrov, like Cajkovic, is another high-skill QMJHL forward who hasn’t been given enough credit in draft circles this year (he was, to my eye, the best player on the ice at this year’s top prospects game). Two years ago, as a 16-year-old, he was producing at the same rate as a then 17-year-old Dominik Bokk in Germany’s top junior league. A year later he was an effective rookie on a low-end Charlottetown team and his breakout playoff performance pushed the mediocre Islanders (who finished the season with a minus-10 goal differential) against all odds into Game 7 of the third round. This season, on an improved though still not all that talented Islanders team, he continued to take steps. Alexandrov is a dynamic, primary carrier who is at his best with the puck on his stick, rather than playing off it. He can break defenders down one-on-one with lateral agility or fade to the slot and use his release to create a scoring chance. Surround him with a better team and he’s got the potential to be scary-good at the junior level.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
In 2016/17, here’s how a 16-year old Dominik Bokk and a *15*-year old Alexandrov fared in the top German Men’s league:

Bokk: 41 games, 34g/37a/71p, 1.73ppg

Alexandrov: 36 games, 32g/29a/61p, 1.69ppg

Alexandrov is more well-rounded than Bokk, imo, and a lot less-flashy.

Bokk has better puck skills and - if properly motivated - can be an elite puck hound who gets pucks back with his gifted stick skills. Bokk is also primarily a playmaker, who has gotten a lot of his goals in the SHL off of PP one-timers, but is a bit of a wizard in getting the puck to his teammates in front of the net. His skating is extremely elusive, even if his top-end speed isn’t there (yet), and that makes him tough to defend along the boards especially (think Schwartz).

Alexandrov is much more simple, but much more of a bull in a china shop. I mentioned this in the draft tracker thread, but my first impression of Nikita is that he thrives in the middle of the ice: he follows up all of his shots and creates second chances (and goals!) with his strength on his skates. His shot is good enough to pick corners already, and he seems to be able to roof it in close (look out Zach Sanford). I think his puck skills are either underrated or inconsistent, but he’s more than capable of breaking down defensive coverage and stick checks with his elusiveness in small spaces, and he positions his body in ways that make his release deceptive to goaltenders. He doesn’t strike me as very explosive (and he acknowledged this in his interview yesterday), and he seems to play at one speed. That’s really good news when he’s zipping around defenders in established zone time or as the late man in, but he might struggle to enter the zone or exit his own without a bit more oomph in his stride.

All of that is a long way of saying: if you believe in Bokk, you should believe in Alexandrov. Both have production question marks that can at least partially be explained by their team situations. But both have high-end raw skill that will translate very well if they can work on their shortcomings.

I’m excited to see how they work together this week at prospect camp!

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
In 2016/17, here’s how a 16-year old Dominik Bokk and a *15*-year old Alexandrov fared in the top German Men’s league:

Bokk: 41 games, 34g/37a/71p, 1.73ppg

Alexandrov: 36 games, 32g/29a/61p, 1.69ppg
I think you're mixing up the DEL with the DNL.

The numbers you posted were from the DNL, which is a junior development program for the DEL, which is the men's league.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
For more perspective, Alexandrov was the second leading scorer (goals and points) on his team this year (27 + 34) in 64 games. The leading goal and point scorer (34 + 44 in 68 games) just turned 21, so he’s over 2 years older than Alexandrov.

The next leading goal scorer had 18 goals, and next leading point scorer had 50 points - one is almost 2 years older, and the other is just slightly older than Alexandrov.

In short, Alexandrov is very easily the youngest guy who is producing the most on his team. He was also tied for second on team with best plus minus (+24).

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I feel like this pick is similar to Lars Eller. I don't really remember anything about Eller because I was pretty young and didn't follow heavily, but they remind me of each other. What surprises me the most about Alexandrov is his ability to get greasy goals. I think this is an underrated trait of players and largely gets looked over because there's not "skill" involved. I think his shot is good enough and his stick checking is pretty good as well. Hopefully he can really work on his skating this year, and maybe he gets traded midseason to good squad. I think if that happens, you'll start to see this kid's talent. It's great to finally have a player who has a nose for greasy goals, because the Blues haven't had one of those players in years.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Just watched one of his games from a couple months ago. I actually have some mild excitement for him. He’s sort of like a mix of Lars Eller and Vladimir Sobotka. Pretty good puck control but not super dynamic, has I’d say above average hockey IQ and is very very good in the D-zone whether as the C or if he switches on the back check and has to play wing until they rotate back. He also played with some bite. He’s probly gonna need two more years of Junior before turning pro. I’d luv to see him develop his offensive game a little more.

For me he’s most likely a bottom 6 winger at the next level, maybe a center.

Obviously not the sexiest pick in the world but he could be a key contributing role player for us in a few years... a la Eller/ Sobotka and if that happens, then we found a gem at #62

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad