Nightmare opponents (Olympics analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Note, this is my view of things.

Sweden. Our nightmare opponent(s) are not Canada or USA. In fact we usually play well against these two nations. Our real nightmare is the Czech Rep and Russia. Sweden usually struggles more against other euro teams than North american teams. (Belarus, never forget :()

Canada.
Canada's nightmare opponent must be Czech Rep and Sweden. Canada has a habit to play really well against the US and Russia. The czechs and sometimes the swedes could cause trouble.

Russia
The russian akilles heal is simple. It's Canada. They usually struggle against them. Russians thrive playing countries like Sweden and Finland

Czech Rep. The Czechs like playing against Sweden, and they like playing against Finland. their nightmare opponent is Canada, and sometimes Russia.

USA The US has a hard time against Sweden, Canada and
Czechs. However they like playing finland, and sometimes Russia.

Finland Finland is the real joker in the game. They sometimes thrives on Sweden, sometimes not. They can be very dangerous against countries like Czechz and USA. Their nightmare opponent is definitely Canada.

What do you think of my analysis?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russia dosent like playing the USA both historically and in recent memory. ;)

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Thats pretty accurate I would say.

I could be wrong, but I would guess that Sweden and Finland are kinda nightmare opponents just because of the huge rivalry and losing hurts twice as much.

Although losing always hurts, so :dunno:

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Sweden's nightmare is any elimination game. Have they ever won one in a "Best on Best" tournament?

Canada's nightmare is an elimination game which is decided by a shootout.

Russia's nightmare is their government pulling them out of the Gold Medal game to make a political statement.

The Czech's nightmare are new rules which will eliminate the Neutral Zone Trap.

The US nightmare is an athlete's village with indestructible furniture.

The Fin's nightmare is Kipper not being able to play. Oops! That one already came true!!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Mr Kanadensisk said:
Sweden's nightmare is any elimination game. Have they ever won one in a "Best on Best" tournament?

The US nightmare is an athlete's village with indestructible furniture.

Sweden won in '94 or '92 in the Olympics.

.....Indestructable furniture? I'd like to see that!

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
octopi said:
Sweden won in '94 or '92 in the Olympics.

.....Indestructable furniture? I'd like to see that!

Sweden won in '94.... '92 was Russia's victory.

I think he means since NHLers were allowed to participate.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Italy (the team) could be a potential nightmare for Canada... if they somehow found a way to beat us. Canadian hockey would be in an instant crisis if that were to happen.

AgentNaslund*

Czech Rep is the team I fear th emost as a Canadian fan. Sweden tends to choke in big games. The last 2 times we played the Czech it was close as hell. 3-3 tie, and a game were the Czech domianted Canada, but ran into Luongo, and we won in O.T.

Czech is a team everyone should fear.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Leo Naphta said:
Sweden defeated USA in the 1984 Canada Cup semi-final.

You're right. Sweden's one and only elimination game victory in a "best on best" tournament was in the 1984 Canada Cup. So throughout the 76, 81, 84, 87, 91 Canada Cups, 96 and 04 World Cups, and 98 and 2002 Olympics, Sweden has won exactly one elimination game.

I hope they win their pool this year, and get a shot at a weaker team from the other pool in the quarter final. Maybe then they will get this monkey off their back!

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Mr Kanadensisk said:
You're right. Sweden's one and only elimination game victory in a "best on best" tournament was in the 1984 Canada Cup. So throughout the 76, 81, 84, 87, 91 Canada Cups, 96 and 04 World Cups, and 98 and 2002 Olympics, Sweden has won exactly one elimination game.

Well done. Best to spell all that out for them. Swedes seem to think the shootout Olympic victory over Canada means something (see e.g. postage stamp with Forsberg scoring on a hapless Hirsch) ;) .

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
SectionX said:

Sweden. Our nightmare opponent(s) are not Canada or USA. In fact we usually play well against these two nations. Our real nightmare is the Czech Rep and Russia. Sweden usually struggles more against other euro teams than North american teams. (Belarus, never forget :()

Canada.
Canada's nightmare opponent must be Czech Rep and Sweden. Canada has a habit to play really well against the US and Russia. The czechs and sometimes the swedes could cause trouble.

Russia
The russian akilles heal is simple. It's Canada. They usually struggle against them. Russians thrive playing countries like Sweden and Finland

Czech Rep. The Czechs like playing against Sweden, and they like playing against Finland. their nightmare opponent is Canada, and sometimes Russia.

USA The US has a hard time against Sweden, Canada and
Czechs. However they like playing finland, and sometimes Russia.

Finland Finland is the real joker in the game. They sometimes thrives on Sweden, sometimes not. They can be very dangerous against countries like Czechz and USA. Their nightmare opponent is definitely Canada.

What do you think of my analysis?

Slovakia will be your nightmare opponent if you didn't even choose to put them on the list.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
blacklabel said:
Everyone's nightmare opponent is Canada because their team is toughest to beat.

I think the real nightmare would be playing Canada in the quarter finals. I mean fine, the semi-finals, or the finals, at least the losing team still can medal. Lose in the quarter finals, its See-Ya!

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
octopi said:
I think the real nightmare would be playing Canada in the quarter finals. I mean fine, the semi-finals, or the finals, at least the losing team still can medal. Lose in the quarter finals, its See-Ya!

Yeah especially for a team like Finland. If we win a medal we're happy with it. But I don't know about Sweden, Russia or Czech. I think their only goal is winning the gold.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
blacklabel said:
Yeah especially for a team like Finland. If we win a medal we're happy with it. But I don't know about Sweden, Russia or Czech. I think their only goal is winning the gold.

Finlandd is going to give somebody fits this year. Probably the Swedes.

SChan*

Mr Kanadensisk said:

I hope they win their pool this year, and get a shot at a weaker team from the other pool in the quarter final. Maybe then they will get this monkey off their back!

No, we won the quarterfinal vs Finland in World Cup 96. It's still a really weak statistic. I agree. We suck in elimination games.

Last edited by a moderator:

shawn_kemp*

SectionX said:

Czech Rep. their nightmare opponent is Canada, and sometimes Russia.

Is this a bad joke?

They NEVER lose against Canada, and they ALWAYS lose against Russia.

SChan*

shawn_kemp said:
Is this a bad joke?

They NEVER lose against Canada, and they ALWAYS lose against Russia.

Are you for real? You lost against Canada in World cup 04. Who count World championchip tournaments? It's a B tournament.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
SectionX said:
No, we won the quarterfinal vs Finland in World Cup 96. It's still a really weak statistic. I agree. We suck in elimination games.

Sweden didn't play a qf game in '96. We won the group and qualified immediately for the semis. The game against Finland was a game in the group stage.

shawn_kemp*

SectionX said:
Are you for real? You lost against Canada in World cup 04. Who count World championchip tournaments? It's a B tournament.

First of all I didn't lose against anybody.

Second of all : hockey is played in 60 minutes. The last 3 meetings between Canada and the Czech Republic in best on best tourneys were ties.

Nagano : 1-1
Salt Lake : 3-3
Toronto : 3-3

Then, we can also get a look at the World Champs :

2004 : Czechs won 6-2.
2005 : Czechs won 3-0.

How can you after that say that Canada is Czech Republic's nigtmare opponent? Sorry, but logic says otherwise.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If this was the '96 World Cup we're talking about then I'd say the USA since they had a good team then. But Canada I think fears playing against the Czechs more than anyone. The reason is simple. the Czechs are the best team at what they do. they play as a unit. Look at '98. On paper that team is hardly the best but they play like a well oiled machine.

Russia hasnt beaten Canada in a best on best tournament since Game one of the '87 Canada Cup finals. USA has only beaten Canada three times in their history, and they all came in '96. Sweden chokes, and the Finns are pesky but never a threat to put us out in an elimination game.

There is still a mystique about Hasek though with Canadians. It started in '98. And we didnt get that monkey off our back until the frist time we beat them again in the '04 Semis. its always a tough game against them. To me they are the favourites to win outside of Canada. I think they will likely meet us somewhere in the playoffs.

Wetcoaster

The Russian team's offence is a concern given the players available and the fact that Bure is managing the team. I do not think you are going to see much in the way of the trap from that team.

The defence seems a little suspect.

If one of the goalies gets hot (Khabibulin or Nabokov) they could be tough.

Vladimir Krikunov is my kind of coach:

Russia head coach Vladimir Krikunov has acclaimed the virtues of at least three shots of vodka as a remedy for post-game stress.

"Three shots of vodka after every game. It's a must," Krikunov told the Sovietsky Sport newspaper. "It does the trick for me. Then after three shots if I feel like I want some more, I'll drink more."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad