Nigel Williams

gorrillaunit18

was he actually born in the U.S? b/c i read an article and it said that he was born in BC. I know he play for the NTDP program, but was he really born there? or was it just a mistake? thanks

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
hmmm..I'm not totally sure, but I believe there is another BC in the USA...or maybe it is another vancouver? I don't remember...but it has something to do with british columbia..

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
from Illinois....signed with Wisconsin...left because of little to no playing time. really has not lived up to hopes so far since being drafted.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
from Illinois....signed with Wisconsin...left because of little to no playing time. really has not lived up to hopes so far since being drafted.

I wouldn't say that. He had a very good year for Saginaw, especially offensively. He's a project, but I don't think the Avs are all that concerned with his progress so far.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Nigel Williams was a big time faller in his draft...maybe scouts foresaw these difficulties. And anyway, heven if he doesn't pan out, it was a good gamble from the avs.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I agree, he didnt have a bad year at all. I am kind of interested to see how he progresses in the next couple years. He xcould have a late NHL debut ala Niklas Kronwall.

Now just cause I said Kronwall in a Nigel Williams thread doesnt mean Im comparing him to him, Im just comparing their paths.

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Since we're using the Hockey's Future website, here's the latest they have on Williams. (Ryan Miller, 04/21/2007)

"6’5, 220 lbs. DOB: Apr. 18, 1988 – Montgomery, Illinois
Acquired: 2nd Round, 51st Overall 2006

After leaving the Wisconsin Badgers after one game over concerns about playing time, Nigel Williams proved to be a physical defenseman who could contribute consistently on offense with the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL. In just 46 games with the Spirit, Williams contributed 17 goals and 19 assists for 36 points, including a hat trick on Dec. 16.

Williams showed his physical side, and also displayed judgment beyond his years, only taking 92 penalty minutes, averaging just under two penalty minutes per game. Williams also proved to be a steady power-play contributor, scoring 12 goals with a man advantage in 2006-07.

For a player in his first season in the OHL, Williams had a strong season, demonstrating a solid all-around game, and using his size effectively. Williams established himself on a team that had good depth on defense when the season began.

At age 18, Williams proved this season that he is well suited to playing in the OHL, and was made excellent contributions on offense, defense, and special teams. His physical play and positioning will continue to improve now that he has a regular home and satisfactory ice time in Saginaw."

It seems to me that his first season could be considered a reasonable success. Yes, he does have some issues with his assignments and is still somewhat raw, but 36 points in 46 games while starting in a new league halfway through the season at least shows some potential. He'll have another year to learn how to be a better technical defenseman, but you can't teach talent and he has that.

Bam Beet*

Since we're using the Hockey's Future website, here's the latest they have on Williams. (Ryan Miller, 04/21/2007)

"6’5, 220 lbs. DOB: Apr. 18, 1988 – Montgomery, Illinois
Acquired: 2nd Round, 51st Overall 2006

After leaving the Wisconsin Badgers after one game over concerns about playing time, Nigel Williams proved to be a physical defenseman who could contribute consistently on offense with the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL. In just 46 games with the Spirit, Williams contributed 17 goals and 19 assists for 36 points, including a hat trick on Dec. 16.

Williams showed his physical side, and also displayed judgment beyond his years, only taking 92 penalty minutes, averaging just under two penalty minutes per game. Williams also proved to be a steady power-play contributor, scoring 12 goals with a man advantage in 2006-07.

For a player in his first season in the OHL, Williams had a strong season, demonstrating a solid all-around game, and using his size effectively. Williams established himself on a team that had good depth on defense when the season began.

At age 18, Williams proved this season that he is well suited to playing in the OHL, and was made excellent contributions on offense, defense, and special teams. His physical play and positioning will continue to improve now that he has a regular home and satisfactory ice time in Saginaw."

It seems to me that his first season could be considered a reasonable success. Yes, he does have some issues with his assignments and is still somewhat raw, but 36 points in 46 games while starting in a new league halfway through the season at least shows some potential. He'll have another year to learn how to be a better technical defenseman, but you can't teach talent and he has that.

Thats great to hear, I hope to see him continue to improve next year as well.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

He's from Aurora. I went to church with him... Very arrogant young man. Didn't like him too much.

I live in Bolingbrook and he lived in Aurora (15 minutes away)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad