nigel williams

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
are you kidding:biglaugh: so the ohl doesnt have top talent?? do you actually think hw wont get any better in the ohl.

I didn't say that there isn't top end talent in the ohl. That would be totally stupid. What I did say was that he left to better his own development by getting to play against good talent rather then sit the pine. As for his playing time, any game time is good time. While I would have liked to see him stay at Wisco and learn under Eaves, who is a fantastic coach, I'm happy he is working on getting to the next level.

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
Too bad I actually know what I'm talking about, eh?

Too bad for you, anyway.

You should learn to appreciate someone's input even if it's unfavorable on a prospect of your team.

I believe he should respect your opinion but he doesn't have to appreciate it, especially if you are taking shots at a player from his team. If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Didn't your mom teach you anything? Sheesh...:sarcasm:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
:rolleyes:

Jon is a respectable poster for you of those who want to agree or disagree with him. He knows his crap and he ain't a n00b poster.

I for one agree with pretty much all the stuff he posts, his opinions are based on what he see's and not what he reads...which is a hell of a lot more then i can say about most of the posters on the board....

espo*

Yep,it is clear that he watches and has seen what he discusses.That's my experience on players he talks about from the last couple of years i've looked around here.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Thanks for the kind words!

As a fan of USA hockey, I wish that the kid wasn't such a dud. He has all the talent in the world but not even a 2 cent brain. I wish he were as smart and mentally fit as our other great d-men prospects in Johnson&Johnson! He's a real "specimen" so hopefully he can somehow round out the mental part of his game.

IF HE DOES -- he will be a great NHLer. I'd give that chance, though, about a 5% chance in actually happening.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words!

As a fan of USA hockey, I wish that the kid wasn't such a dud. He has all the talent in the world but not even a 2 cent brain. I wish he were as smart and mentally fit as our other great d-men prospects in Johnson&Johnson! He's a real "specimen" so hopefully he can somehow round out the mental part of his game.

IF HE DOES -- he will be a great NHLer. I'd give that chance, though, about a 5% chance in actually happening.

This is basically the way I see it too. I don't think he'll even get a sniff at the NHL for a long, long time. I actually liked the idea of him staying in college, since the Avs could hold onto his rights for a longer period of time, and he would get some of the better coaching available to young players.

Now that he is in the OHL he'll have to do a lot of learning in a shorter period of time, and if he does well, he'll probably spend at least 2-3 years in the AHL. He's definitely a long-term project that's for sure. He could potentially turn into that big-time player, or he could be a complete dud.

I have a feeling that regardless, some team (not necessarily the Avs) will take a run at him just because of his physical gifts.

Jori

I would have preferred that he would have stayed at Wisconsin and earn his ice time. Part of his decision rubs me the wrong way. I understand his desire to play, but it shouldn't be given if he doesn't deserve it.

The Avs knew this would be a boom or bust pick. I'm still okay with the decision to select Nigel, considering they had two second round picks. To me, this kid has all the skills, but the problems are between his ears. If Nigel is successful it wouldn't surprise me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he flamed out.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Avs knew this would be a boom or bust pick. I'm still okay with the decision to select Nigel, considering they had two second round picks. To me, this kid has all the skills, but the problems are between his ears. If Nigel is successful it wouldn't surprise me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he flamed out.

I think he's actually a fantastic pick where he was picked. I wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole if I only had 1 2nd round pick. But if you have two of them, he's a great risk.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Played his first game for Saginaw last night. I'll give him an A+ for effort as he was skating hard all night and trying to make things happen off the rush but his over all performance was a C-.

His positional play was atrocious and if he does not improve that aspect of his game then he will see alot of the Pine in Saginaw as well. He also needs to learn to use that big frame of his and not be so tentative in traffic.

He does have a very good shot and can handle the puck well. Once his game adjusts to the OHL level of play, I can see him racking up alot of points on the PP.

weezman

Played his first game for Saginaw last night. I'll give him an A+ for effort as he was skating hard all night and trying to make things happen off the rush but his over all performance was a C-.

His positional play was atrocious and if he does not improve that aspect of his game then he will see alot of the Pine in Saginaw as well. He also needs to learn to use that big frame of his and not be so tentative in traffic.

This isn't discouraging in my opinion. Positioning can be tought as long as he takes it in and accepts it. If he puts that effort into improving his play I think it could be good news for Avs fans.

As a side note VOB, could it have been he was trying to do too much and let it affect his play?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
\
As a side note VOB, could it have been he was trying to do too much and let it affect his play?

Despite spending an entire season last year with the NTDP, it seems that this kid still has so much to learn about the game itself. The talent is definatly there and so is the heart, it's just the head that has to catch up now.

He made a very wise decision in coming to the OHL. Mancini is a very good teacher and this kid has to play and practice much more than he ever would have gotten in college.

weezman

Despite spending an entire season last year with the NTDP, it seems that this kid still has so much to learn about the game itself. The talent is definatly there and so is the heart, it's just the head that has to catch up now.

He made a very wise decision in coming to the OHL. Mancini is a very good teacher and this kid has to play and practice much more than he ever would have gotten in college.

Thanks for the review+input VOB.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I've actually come up with a good way to describe him:

He's the Hugh Jessiman of Defense. Full of heart, has the talent, but doesn't have the toolbox. He's just less developed in his overall game at the same age as Hugh was at that age.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
:rolleyes:

Jon is a respectable poster for you of those who want to agree or disagree with him. He knows his crap and he ain't a n00b poster.

I for one agree with pretty much all the stuff he posts, his opinions are based on what he see's and not what he reads...which is a hell of a lot more then i can say about most of the posters on the board....

I believe he's a huge fan of Dawes, so based on that I'd have to respect his opinion:D

Man I wish Dawes was Bruin property!

Transported Upstater

None and none.

I just like to intensely follow USA hockey and US hockey products.

I still remember when I first came on this board (or maybe it was October 2005, or something like that) that you said that Erik Johnson was going to go in the Top 5 before ANY hype started coming his way.

HF-wise, IMO, you called it. You were the first one I heard on this board talk about him, and saying he was going to be the ****. I remember I thought your comment was so Pejorative Slured, and that there was no way Erik Johnson would go that high.

Guess who got owned there to the ninth degree? :biglaugh:

Transported Upstater

I've actually come up with a good way to describe him:

He's the Hugh Jessiman of Defense. Full of heart, has the talent, but doesn't have the toolbox. He's just less developed in his overall game at the same age as Hugh was at that age.

That's an interesting way of putting it.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Looks like Williams scored his first OHL goal tonight, congrats to him. He was also a plus 1. And his team last 7-2 or something. Anyone know how he scored? Slapshot I assume?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
he was the 1st star of the game last night, so it looks like he has picked up the pace of the OHL pretty quickly. Would be intresting if someone could give a report on how he has looked so far.

How can the kid go from being a dud in the NCAA to a stud in OHL. Is it because he is playing against 16 and 17 year olds now or is style of hockey so different that he only has to only use his skill and not his brain? It looks like it`s a good move for him. At least he is playing every night and maybe he can get his confidence back!

Thereisnoway

Mar 8, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
How can the kid go from being a dud in the NCAA to a stud in OHL. Is it because he is playing against 16 and 17 year olds now or is style of hockey so different that he only has to only use his skill and not his brain? It looks like it`s a good move for him. At least he is playing every night and maybe he can get his confidence back!

I don't think anyone can call him a dud in the NCAA, he only played one game there. After his first game in the ohl he didn't score either as far as we know he could have gotten 3 goals in his next 2 games if he had the opportunity in the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad