nigel williams

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Wow. Only 10 games into the season and the guy leaves 'cause he's not playing.

What ever happened to gutting it out through the season, trying your best to improve and earning your ice time?:dunno:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Wow. Only 10 games into the season and the guy leaves 'cause he's not playing.

What ever happened to gutting it out through the season, trying your best to improve and earning your ice time?:dunno:

he wasnt even travelling with the team. looks like he had no shot at getting significant playing time this year.

Leif

Aug 19, 2005
Seattle
Would the av's really want him to leave? with him in school he's theres for up to 4 years and would be coached by one of the best coaches not in the NHL. The college players seemed to get coached considerbly more than MJ or so i've heard so that seems like it would help him with his hockey sense and lack of all things but size and skating.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Would the av's really want him to leave? with him in school he's theres for up to 4 years and would be coached by one of the best coaches not in the NHL. The college players seemed to get coached considerbly more than MJ or so i've heard so that seems like it would help him with his hockey sense and lack of all things but size and skating.

Yea, but now he's on the Colbert Report, which is much better IMO ;)

I don't think the Avs are all that involved with this decision. In the article it is mentioned that Williams was very unhappy with the situation.

I do like that he'll most likely get a lot more playing time now (any playing time is a lot more than none). If he ever makes it to the Avs I could see him having developed his offensive, defensive, and hitting abilities a lot more, but I don't think he'll have developed the "hockey mind" as some would call it.

Basically I have a feeling that this decision will continue to develop his physical side of the game, but won't much change the mental aspect of it.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Jamie McBain is a fresmen defenseman and he's played in every single game. Wisconsin plays about 8 freshen every night.

You should have said, Wisconsin doenst give a lot of ice time to freshmen who arent good enough to play in the WCHA yet.

Zine called it right. Sure Eaves doesn't give alot of time to freshmen, but Williams (as you stated as well) wasn't earning it. Also, the departure didn't really surprise me. He's so far down the Badgers defensemen depth chart that his only options were either hunker down and earn the time (as Zine pointed out) or leave. Williams chose the latter. I wish him well in the OHL, I hope that he does get the ice time that he wants and more importantly, I hope he earns it.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

What do you call this again.....a white lie...an urban legend...

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
well it sounds like the best course of action would have been for him to deffer for a year and play in the USHL like the badgers wanted him to in the first place.

Williams didn't want to do that and, big suprise, it turned out that he wasn't ready for the jump in competition.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
well it sounds like the best course of action would have been for him to deffer for a year and play in the USHL like the badgers wanted him to in the first place.

Williams didn't want to do that and, big suprise, it turned out that he wasn't ready for the jump in competition.

I read that the badgers urged him to come and play for them this year...

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw...106744&ntpid=2

"The original plan was for Williams to join the Badgers next fall. That changed when UW coaches saw the rapid growth in the defenseman's game with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program a year ago and brought him in this season."

Get your facts straight.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com

"The original plan was for Williams to join the Badgers next fall. That changed when UW coaches saw the rapid growth in the defenseman's game with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program a year ago and brought him in this season."

Get your facts straight.

Thats BS. The Badger coaches saw the rapid growth in his hype and knew that if he didn't end up in Madison in 2006 then he was headed to the OHL or another program.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Has Williams started playing for Saginaw yet and if not does anyone know if he will be playing tonight vs OSA

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site

Get your facts straight.

Up until this, everything I'd heard indicated that it was Williams who pushed to come in a year early.

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
He went to saginaw to get some actual playing time. Practice is good and all but if you don't get to test your skills against top talent for your age, you arn't going to get any better. Practicing all day/everyday won't change that.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He went to saginaw to get some actual playing time. Practice is good and all but if you don't get to test your skills against top talent for your age, you arn't going to get any better. Practicing all day/everyday won't change that.

are you kidding:biglaugh: so the ohl doesnt have top talent?? do you actually think hw wont get any better in the ohl.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Who is to say he is going to get good ice time with Saginaw. McNeill and Corrente are their top pair and Williams will not be getting ice time from these two. From what I heard from other Saginaw fans is that he will be hard pressed to make the 2nd defense unit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Yeah, okay.

Practicing and showing your team that you are trying to earn your ice time is a lot better than bolting on them to another league.

He basically quit on his entire team since he was too much of a baby to suck it up and earn his time the hard way. I don't like players that bolt from the NCAA for reasons like this at all. It's pretty lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad