Nigel Williams???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know there are a few guys out there who follow the US National Development team around and was looking for some thoughts on this guy. Other publications have him as a mid-to late first round pick, but havent heard him mentioned to much here.

Now I know everyone practically is a first round pick this year,but he seems to be the guy not getting much press. He is a big boy at 6-3 220lbs, and from what I have seen can move pretty well. Erik Johnson is getting all the press on this team, but Nigel might not go that far behind him in the draft. Is this guy for real, or is he being over-hyped?

If he is for real, what a great group of young American d-men that the US team has developed, and what a group of potential first round picks it could be.
Erik Johnson, Mark Mitera, Bob Sanguinetti, Tysen Dowzak, and Nigel Williams all our projected first round picks. I cant remember the last time there were this many American blueliners projected to go in the first round.

I dont want to get into the whole Tysen Dowzak thing, I have seen a lot of people on this board down on him. You cant teach size and he has it. He will go first round for that simple fact. Derian Hatcher looked clueless and awkward before he got drafted, and even 3-4 years after the draft. This kid is the same thing, just like Finley and Sasha from last year, another big guy will go in the first round.

To bring it all back to prospective, is Nigel Williams a true first round pick, or is he just being thrown out there because of his size? Thoughts....

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i think mike ratchuk or andrew bodnarchuk (longshots) have a better shot at the 1st round then dowzak now. he has size, but his mobility, puck poise, and decision making are questionable. i think hes a late 2nd, early 3rd.

williams doesnt get much hype, bc hes kind of an unknown commodity. he played 2 years ago for ssm's 2nd varsity team, then moved back to illinois and had a great year playing for ti major that really put him on the map. at nationals he had a great tournament, and dominated the skills competetion, winning fastest skater, amongst other things. (pretty impressive for a guy listed at 6'5, 225). he then got the call from usa hockey to play with ntdp at the slovakia?? tournament and won best defenseman. he already has nhl size and speed, and alot of raw talent that needs to be refined. like erik johnson, who was raw and had alot of untapped potential up until this year, i think williams is the same, but a year or two behind johnson as far as refining his raw talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->