Player Discussion Nicolas Deslauriers - Un Gars D'Chez Nous Edition

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Don't forget he is probably playing his best hockey because he knew this would have been his last chance to play in the NHL. 5 years is incredibly dumb.
Maybe your right. But if you can't give one reason for your argument you sound incredibly dumb. What is one downside, just one, of signing Deslaurier with longer term at such a low cap hit that if he doesn't pan out and is sent to the AHL it doesn't count against the cap?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I'd settle for 1-2 years at 800-900k for Deslauriers. He's cooled down now and I doubt we will see much production anymore but he's a serviceable 4th liner who can even play defense (I wonder why he hasn't been tried there at all in the NHL). What I like about him is that he seems big and strong and can punish with powerful clean hits, something no one can do anymore on the Habs since Emelin.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd settle for 1-2 years at 800-900k for Deslauriers. He's cooled down now and I doubt we will see much production anymore but he's a serviceable 4th liner who can even play defense (I wonder why he hasn't been tried there at all in the NHL). What I like about him is that he seems big and strong and can punish with powerful clean hits, something no one can do anymore on the Habs since Emelin.

I'd give him a Byron type deal. 3 years at $1.17M (age 27-29).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd give him a Byron type deal. 3 years at $1.17M (age 27-29).
What is the point in giving him 3 years? The guy could just as easily be waiver level next year.
You sign these players to 1 year deals. Byron showed serious scoring abilities, Deslo just went on a nice little streak, which he also cooled down from, that earns him a 1 year offer..not 3..come on now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What is the point in giving him 3 years? The guy could just as easily be waiver level next year.
You sign these players to 1 year deals. Byron showed serious scoring abilities, Deslo just went on a nice little streak, which he also cooled down from, that earns him a 1 year offer..not 3..come on now.

I think he is a solid piece to have on the 4th line (Big body that can skate and provide some goals) and who cares if we have to put him on waivers if he is not the same player. It was the same with Byron, we can send him down if it don't work out and bury most of his salary in the AHL. Signing him to 3 years from age 27-29 gives him security and gives the Habs a nice piece on the 4th line.

A big body that can skate and score goals is rare... even if it's the 4th line. I like him on our team moving forward and he's not old.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think he is a solid piece to have on the 4th line (Big body that can skate and provide some goals) and who cares if we have to put him on waivers if he is not the same player. It was the same with Byron, we can send him down if it don't work out and bury most of his salary in the AHL. Signing him to 3 years from age 27-29 gives him security and gives the Habs a nice piece on the 4th line.

A big body that can skate and score goals is rare... even if it's the 4th line. I like him on our team moving forward and he's not old.
It is pointless man. You don't give 3 year deals to bottom liners just because they have a nice 20ish game stretch. Just utterly pointless.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is pointless man. You don't give 3 year deals to bottom liners just because they have a nice 20ish game stretch. Just utterly pointless.

Yeah you do... Byron was an awesome contract and at the time he was a 4th liner. And if it don't work out, you bury his salary in the AHL. No risk at all and like I said... it's rare to find a big body who can skate and provide some goals. They guy shows up and is a decent piece on the 4th line.

You have to realize that he is age 26 and has matured. The talent is there and you are pinning him as a future bottom liner who is not going to be the same player in the future as he is for us this year. Maybe you have a point if I was giving him $1-$2M AAV range. I am banging on him giving us 5-10 goals on the bottom line and giving us a solid responsible two way game. He's +8 on a team that has allowed way more goals than allowed. I think he is better than you realize or are willing to admit.

I would target the 3 year deal and he would like that but I would of course start at $800 or $900. Maybe $1M works. Hard for me to predict where he would start but I would give him a Byron type contract and if it don't work out, we have a decent asset for our AHL team.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah you do... Byron was an awesome contract and at the time he was a 4th liner. And if it don't work out, you bury his salary in the AHL. No risk at all and like I said... it's rare to find a big body who can skate and provide some goals. They guy shows up and is a decent piece on the 4th line.
Byron was never a 4th liner if you watched him play. Byron is a decent 3rd line player. Deslauriers is a nice 4th liner, nothing more

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Byron was never a 4th liner if you watched him play. Byron is a decent 3rd line player. Deslauriers is a nice 4th liner, nothing more

Before or after Byron signed his current contract? I remember many people saying Byron won't even make our team starting last year. It's when I learned that any contract around $1M can be hidden in the AHL. It was a smart move to get him locked up for 3 years and at slightly over $1M and I would do the same with Deslauriers. He will be age 27-29 and I think he's a solid piece we can use.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Colton Sceviour just signed a 3 years extension at 1.2mil AA deal with Florida.
I think Deslauriers will sign a 2 years deal at 975K and if things go well for him here you give him the same extension as Sceviour at the end of his 2 years contract

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like him and was worried he'd be in the press box to start the year until there are injuries.

Well, now it looks like he'll be starting the year in the press box due to injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->