Confirmed with Link: Nicklas Jensen Signs with Jokerit of the KHL

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I know what the link says and I don't doubt that he'd WANT to come back, I'm just saying that I don't know this move will help him find a guaranteed spot even if he's successful.

As to the guys you mentioned, Raanta was your typical UDFA Euro, Da Costa hasn't come back to the NHL after leaving and Radulov had already established he could be a star with a 58 point season while being very young before going to Russia. I don't see how any are comparable to a guy who has spent 5 years in the AHL without getting more than a cup of coffee.

I'm saying they are comparable in the fact that they garnered NHL interest with just a season or a few in Europe. Raanta only had one season of above average play before coming over, Stephane Da Costa is rumored to be coming back. Radulov was a different story, so I was wrong to put his case in the conversation. Dadonov is another case, though.

Either way it's split, Jensen needs to have a good year in order to come back. I think it could happen if he's in a top 6 role in Jokerit.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I know what the link says and I don't doubt that he'd WANT to come back, I'm just saying that I don't know this move will help him find a guaranteed spot even if he's successful ... I don't see how any are comparable to a guy who has spent 5 years in the AHL without getting more than a cup of coffee.

pro sports roster building is changing
look at that slugger Thames on Milwaukee, 30 yers old, suddenly an impact player after 3 years in Korea

and that Ryan guy on Canes, an effective rookie in the season he turned 30

if Jensen has a solid season in KHL
he could indeed be a useful roster player in a year (or even the '18 playoffs

or as many if you note, a long forgotten trivia question

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think for him to generate serious interest he'd need to do more than have one good season. He'd need to string together a couple or more good years before he'd be able to drop the "fringe" label he's earned over here. We shall see though.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
for a moment today,
while reading about Enroth's 1-year KHL deal,
and related speculation he signed there to play in Olympics,
i wondered if Jensen had that in mind
... BUT Denmark isnt going,
South Korea as host, and qualifiers Germany, Norway, Slovenia snagged the 9-12 spots

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
time of year to wonder if Gorton will bring him back

had decent year in K
2017-18 Jokerit KHL54191837363
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
led is team in regular season scoring,
(just ahead Preds uber-prospect, Tolvanen, who played fewer games)

if Zucc and either\both Spooner\Namestnikov are moved, he could provide some skill on wing

WC is in his homeland of Denmark this spring, another opportunity to gauge his game in 2018

Reactions: Joey Bones

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's decent and should get a shot at the 4th line, but there's this idea in the NHL that your 4th liners are barred from having skill.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One question is he signed for more than just the one year with Jokerit?

If we're talking about 3rd/4th line guys---they can come from all kinds of sources. I'm thinking on our team he would have been more a 4th liner than a 3rd or put another way Jensen's a good player but I'm not sure he would have done more for us this year than Carey. I'd be fine if he'd re-sign with us but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if he didn't.....and he'd have to make the Rangers out of camp--no guarantees.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I've been to Helsinki 3 times for work in the last 8 months and each time I managed to attend a few Jokerit games (Including the Ice Challenge, much better experience than the Winter Classic FYI), and Jensen is so noticeable on the ice. On one of the best teams in the KHL, he doesn't look out of place. He deserves a chance in our bottom-6, if he wants to come back

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
On our rebuilding team, Jensen ABSOLUTELY deserves a shot to make the team out of camp next year.

Last year he had a big year in the AHL and wanted more of a challenge this year and went to the second best league and led his team in points there because he saw the writing on the wall, he wasn't going to make the Rangers this season. Yes he just turned 25 a few weeks ago but that shouldn't have any baring, that's not THAT old.

Give him a shot, have a feeling he will surprise a lot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
On our rebuilding team, Jensen ABSOLUTELY deserves a shot to make the team out of camp next year.

Last year he had a big year in the AHL and wanted more of a challenge this year and went to the second best league and led his team in points there because he saw the writing on the wall, he wasn't going to make the Rangers this season. Yes he just turned 25 a few weeks ago but that shouldn't have any baring, that's not THAT old.

I don't think there was any writing on the wall. We played Paul Carey, Boo Nieves and Vinni Lettieri for substantial amounts of this season. There was definitely at least one spot to win on the bottom line and I think he was in line to compete for it. We qualified him, so we obviously wanted to keep him around.

Reactions: TheTakedown

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think there was any writing on the wall. We played Paul Carey, Boo Nieves and Vinni Lettieri for substantial amounts of this season. There was definitely at least one spot to win on the bottom line and I think he was in line to compete for it. We qualified him, so we obviously wanted to keep him around.

Nothing on the 3rd line though. 4th line he would have stalled his development playing 7 minutes under AV.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nothing on the 3rd line though. 4th line he would have stalled his development playing 7 minutes under AV.
Eh I mean look, when you're 24 and still a fringe player, I don't know how you can expect or even realistically hope to be battling for more than a fourth line role. If you want to make it, you're gonna have to first win a spot and then show what you can do.

As far as AV, he makes all sorts baffling decisions. Who knows, Jensen could have become the second Vesey. Instead he went to go try to make a name for himself overseas, which I don't blame him for.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’d like Jensen back. He plays with an edge although it’s usually not mentioned, he’s a little bit of a hothead. Decent defensively and has a nice shot

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It was noted last year that when Jensen signed with Jokerit, he wanted to prove his worth for an NHL contract the following season. I could definitely see him coming back to the NHL (whether with the Rangers or traded somewhere else).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’d like Jensen back. He plays with an edge although it’s usually not mentioned, he’s a little bit of a hothead. Decent defensively and has a nice shot

I never noticed the hothead--mean streak side of his game. He's certainly not a guy that drops his gloves. 2 career fights--one way back in his junior days with Oshawa. He's a big guy who will give and take hits but IMO it's not anything really extraordinary. His physical game is average. He's a pretty good skater for his size, pretty good stick skills and a very nice shot. All parts of his game are pretty good but there's nothing really outstanding about any one particular skill. He's never really been able to take and hold an NHL spot--the points aren't there and maybe it's just not enough opportunity. That happens to some players. They're in an organization and they're just too far down the ladder but if they were on another team maybe they'd get a better shot. I think Jensen could play at the NHL level but I also think if he's in your top 9 your team might have some depth issues at forward. To me he probably could have done for us what Carey did this year--maybe a little better--we'll never know now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I never noticed the hothead--mean streak side of his game. He's certainly not a guy that drops his gloves. 2 career fights--one way back in his junior days with Oshawa. He's a big guy who will give and take hits but IMO it's not anything really extraordinary. His physical game is average. He's a pretty good skater for his size, pretty good stick skills and a very nice shot. All parts of his game are pretty good but there's nothing really outstanding about any one particular skill. He's never really been able to take and hold an NHL spot--the points aren't there and maybe it's just not enough opportunity. That happens to some players. They're in an organization and they're just too far down the ladder but if they were on another team maybe they'd get a better shot. I think Jensen could play at the NHL level but I also think if he's in your top 9 your team might have some depth issues at forward. To me he probably could have done for us what Carey did this year--maybe a little better--we'll never know now.
Not a huge hothead but a lowkey one, I’ve seen a lot of him back when he was in Utica and he seemed to get pissed off easy and would play more aggressive when he did. I didn’t see too much of him when he was here though I just remember being a fan of his for an odd reason even though I doubted he’d be a top 6er

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

It's not old at all. If anything, he's got less NHL miles on that body which means he's probably got a lot more in the tank than your average 25 year old NHLer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad