Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I haven't heard much about Backstrom this season - and I have only watched two Caps games - so I was surprised to see that he leads the team in points despite missing a few games. What's the halfway mark evaluation?

He has been very good like the rest of the team, but I think it would be better for the team if he and Kuznetsov switched places. Kuznetsov is more dangerous offensively IMO and Backstrom is better defensively.

Besides, I like the Ovechkin-Kuznetsov duo more, it brings more speed to the top line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He has been very good like the rest of the team, but I think it would be better for the team if he and Kuznetsov switched places. Kuznetsov is more dangerous offensively IMO and Backstrom is better defensively.

Besides, I like the Ovechkin-Kuznetsov duo more, it brings more speed to the top line.

Backstrom is on the first line because he is better defensively. When Kuznetsov is flanked by Williams and Johansson, his defensive mistakes are less evident. Further Trotz likes to use Backstrom to check the opposing first line on a regular basis depending on opposition. That gets Ov out against an offensive line. Cant do that if Kuz is there instead.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Backstrom is on the first line because he is better defensively. When Kuznetsov is flanked by Williams and Johansson, his defensive mistakes are less evident. Further Trotz likes to use Backstrom to check the opposing first line on a regular basis depending on opposition. That gets Ov out against an offensive line. Cant do that if Kuz is there instead.

Traditionally you use your lower lines to shutdown the opposition and you let your top line deal the damage offensively, but that's a good point you made.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Traditionally you use your lower lines to shutdown the opposition and you let your top line deal the damage offensively, but that's a good point you made.

I honestly prefer going power-on-power, atleast once the playoffs start. We don't have anyone like Hanzal or Backes to shut-down the other teams top lines, and i don't like the idea of Beagle -line getting the same minutes as 1st line and more than 2nd line would get in that scenario.

Especially now since we do that have that guy in Backstrom that is propably top-10 C in the NHL defensively, and overally.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Trotz says Backstrom is a true Selke level player. If that's true, you would think it makes sense to use him in that role some.

and...Beagle with Chimera and Wilson are perfect come playoffs. they are a fine option. Beagle dominates defensive zone face offs and covers fine. Chimera is a playoff stud. Opposing coaches are not going to want to see their top talent on the ice with Willy.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I honestly prefer going power-on-power, atleast once the playoffs start. We don't have anyone like Hanzal or Backes to shut-down the other teams top lines, and i don't like the idea of Beagle -line getting the same minutes as 1st line and more than 2nd line would get in that scenario.

Especially now since we do that have that guy in Backstrom that is propably top-10 C in the NHL defensively, and overally.

90/19/14 is a solid power-on-power line. And 90/14 play a much more defensive or two-way game with Backstrom than 8/77, which maximizes his value I think.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Bäckström has been the most underrated player in the NHL for years.

How many forwards are always right up there in points aswell as having a Selke level defence?

Toews, Bergeron and Datsyuk are always thrown out there as the best two-way centers - but I'd only pick Datsyuk before Bäckström when it comes to a complete game.

His only drawback is his poor faceoff stats.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Backs has 54 Pts in 54 games this year... PPG Center with solid D.

#Underrated

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Little thread bump to talk about Backstrom's incredible season. He's currently 4th in scoring with 86 points and could go as high as 2nd if he has a 4 pt game tonight and if Crosby doesn't score.

In almost every game on the national feed for the past few weeks, Pierre McGuire and Doc talk about Backstrom's defensive play, suggesting that he is in the running for the Selke. Our resident homers Joe B and Locker will have him on their ballot for sure. We all know Bergeron will end up winning it, as he should, but will we see Backstrom as one of the finalists for the Selke? I think it would be cool for him, he has never been nominated for any award except the Calder.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Little thread bump to talk about Backstrom's incredible season. He's currently 4th in scoring with 86 points and could go as high as 2nd if he has a 4 pt game tonight and if Crosby doesn't score.

In almost every game on the national feed for the past few weeks, Pierre McGuire and Doc talk about Backstrom's defensive play, suggesting that he is in the running for the Selke. Our resident homers Joe B and Locker will have him on their ballot for sure. We all know Bergeron will end up winning it, as he should, but will we see Backstrom as one of the finalists for the Selke? I think it would be cool for him, he has never been nominated for any award except the Calder.

Selke is really hard to get a grasp on the requirements. It's not truly the best defensive forward but the best on who also puts up a good amount of points. He's by far the best defensive forward out of the ~ top 20 point scorers, so I def think he should he a nomination

Edit: actually I couldn't find a anyone better all the way down until 49/50 with Kessler and tires respectively

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Selke is really hard to get a grasp on the requirements. It's not truly the best defensive forward but the best on who also puts up a good amount of points. He's by far the best defensive forward out of the ~ top 20 point scorers, so I def think he should he a nomination

Edit: actually I couldn't find a anyone better all the way down until 49/50 with Kessler and tires respectively

Madden, Peca, Lehtinen, Draper, Brind'Amour, Kelser, Bergeron, Toews. These players are matchup players that are not allstar offensive players.

Backstrom is in the Datsyuk class of offensive player and defensive player.

Good on Trotz for making Backstrom's play a priority. He has been banging the Selke drum since his first year with the team and now that people are driven to look by Trotz they can actually see that when he is matched up against top NHL center that he usually wins the battle.

If the Caps can get him a Cup, he will be a first ballot HHOF'r

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Madden, Peca, Lehtinen, Draper, Brind'Amour, Kelser, Bergeron, Toews. These players are matchup players that are not allstar offensive players.

Backstrom is in the Datsyuk class of offensive player and defensive player.

Good on Trotz for making Backstrom's play a priority. He has been banging the Selke drum since his first year with the team and now that people are driven to look by Trotz they can actually see that when he is matched up against top NHL center that he usually wins the battle.

If the Caps can get him a Cup, he will be a first ballot HHOF'r

He will propably be either way if he keeps playing long enough.

Or at worst he will be considered one of the biggest snubs (there, too) of all-time when Jonathan Toews is inducted from the same draft class. I wouldn't be shocked if Backstrom finished his career with hundreds of points more than Toews. He's already ahead by 100+ and the difference grows every season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Selke has been awarded as a MVP-lite to a 1st line (or 1B) center for the past decade+. It's not awarded to the best defensive forward, but rather the best "two-way" forward (ie a high points requirement). Guys like Draper, Lehtinen, and Madden haven't won the award for nearly 15 years. The point totals for the Selke winners since the full season lock-out have been 70, 82, 97, 97, 70, 73, 64, 48 (lockout shortened), 62, 55, and 74. A decline with the general decline in scoring around the league, but still all legitimate 1C point totals.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not all 1C's are allstar level players. The best defensive forwards the last 10 years have been two way guys vs strictly defensive forwards. Everything is cyclical.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My point is that the award hasn't been given to the "forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game" as is described in the award. Instead it's been given to a really good offensive guy who is capable of handling tough match-ups. I'm not saying the award winners aren't good defensive players (they are), but if the award was really about defense then we'd have seen guys like Manny Malhotra and Frans Nielsen and others more in the mold of Madden and Draper win the award.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you think there were better forwards at providing world class D than the last decades winners? Seems fairly obvious if one guy provides elite Two-way play and the other elite defensive only play, who you should pick. Only if the solely defensive guy is light years ahead would he get selected. That talent hasn't been around that I'm aware of. Who's the Madden or Draper that's been snubbed wrongly in favor of say, a Bergeron?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The award, by its definition, isn't for all around play. The definition of the award is for "most skill in the defensive component of the game" not "the defensively competent player with the most skill." If they followed the definition of the award, there would be more winners in the vein of the guys who were winning it in the pre-lockout years (the John Madden types).

In terms of recent snubs, I named a couple already. In particular, pre-eye injury Manny Malhotra should have picked up one or two Selke trophies. He was deployed in some of the most skewed and brutally difficult assignments in NHL history, which is what freed the Sedins to feast off of charmin soft deployments.

That being said, Bergeron is uniquely gifted and can make a serious claim at the best defensive skills. I don't really have major issue with him being a perennial favorite for the award. It's some of the other names that are tossed around that make my eyes roll.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The Selke is now awarded to the best two way player.

I feel like the league should expand on its rewards. Yeah I am still bitter Coffey stole a few from Langway.

I am not worried about tradition WRT awards, in light of the fact the league has changed the game so much.

Top Offense Only Forward :naughty:

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Hi Guys. I'm a Blues fan (obviously) coming in peace. I have Nick Backstrom on my fantasy team and am wondering (excuse my french) WTF happened to him? I see he isn't playing with Ovechkin anymore, but seriously? Has he just had a rough start to the season? Snake bitten? Curious what's happening as I haven't been able to watch too many Caps games this year.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hi Guys. I'm a Blues fan (obviously) coming in peace. I have Nick Backstrom on my fantasy team and am wondering (excuse my french) WTF happened to him? I see he isn't playing with Ovechkin anymore, but seriously? Has he just had a rough start to the season? Snake bitten? Curious what's happening as I haven't been able to watch too many Caps games this year.

It's a cold streak, nothing more. The Caps' PP has been really bad lately, and the few goals produced on the powerplay are all assisted by Kuznetsov. He and Oshie are in a slump but don't drop Backstrom. He's a good player and he'll find a way to produce again.

If you're good at trades, try to work a deal with whoever owns Kuznetsov in your fantasy league. He's the one getting all the assists on the Ovechkin goals this year.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's a cold streak, nothing more. The Caps' PP has been really bad lately, and the few goals produced on the powerplay are all assisted by Kuznetsov. He and Oshie are in a slump but don't drop Backstrom. He's a good player and he'll find a way to produce again.

If you're good at trades, try to work a deal with whoever owns Kuznetsov in your fantasy league. He's the one getting all the assists on the Ovechkin goals this year.
A big reason he is slumping is because the pp is slumping. Caps need to fix that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad