Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Didn't find any recent thread dedicated to him. The ones I found were from 2009 and before.

He had an arthroscopic hip surgery today. I didn't know he was injured, maybe that's why he slowed down against the Rangers. I hope he comes back 100% for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes we needed a specific NB thread that isn't another version of "what's wrong with Backstrom"?

I'm not surprised he was hurt. I wonder when it happened...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My guess is that it happened in March. After that, he had 3 goals in like 30 games, those 3 goals came against the Isles. It would be nice if Nicky told the media what happened.

bWo*

Probably when he carried the dead weight of 7 forwards out of the first round.

plfBzrT.gif

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Backstrom didn't carry ****, he finally learned how to use the space that playing with Ovechkin afforded him, then suddenly decided to forget it against the Rangers.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
This certainly explains things a bit. I know he had some clutch goals against the Isles, but Nicky just did not look right through the entire playoffs.

Klargplutte

Sep 15, 2012
I remember a sequence late in the regular season when Backstrom was forechecking and the puck was loose between him and a D just barely going faster then him while he was gliding but it was like he was dead tired or just in to much pain from injury to light up the afterburner and snatch the puck.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Its funny how this board has completely turned around its opinion on Backstrom. He was **** and we all knew it after we lost, nothings change.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He might have been bothered by the injury, but overall he looked the same to me physically.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Its funny how this board has completely turned around its opinion on Backstrom. He was **** and we all knew it after we lost, nothings change.

Nonsense. He was our best forward against the Islanders and terrible against the Rangers. No one is saying otherwise, they're just acknowledging there may have been a reason why his play dropped off.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Well, safe to say Nick's hip lost us the 2nd round series. Very unfortunate.

It's far from certain, IMO.

Plus Caps enjoyed pretty good health overall. Every team has some problems -- Fehr might've been a bigger issue, and Rangers probably really missed Zucc, so...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to call it an excuse when you look at the difference in his play from the first round to the second.

Has it been verified when it happened? Do we know this hasn't been just a nagging injury for much longer? I'm just tired of the excuses. He's been sub-par for too long in May the past 4 playoff runs. This team needs to put up or shut up or we're going to be discussing a lot of blown years when Ovy retires.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Has it been verified when it happened? Do we know this hasn't been just a nagging injury for much longer? I'm just tired of the excuses. He's been sub-par for too long in May the past 4 playoff runs. This team needs to put up or shut up or we're going to be discussing a lot of blown years when Ovy retires.

I fail to see why management would make up excuses for him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

It's almost as if "this board" is made up of many individuals, each with their own opinions that may or may not agree with one another.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I fail to see why management would make up excuses for him.

I didn't say anyone made up anything. Your stars are either getting it done like we see from the two teams in the Finals, or you're golfing. I'm sick of golfing and want our stars to deliver. It's what it's going to take to ever win a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->