Nicklas Bäckström update thread

SniperTom

Sep 13, 2005
Nicklas Bäckström has scored in this seasons opening game against newcomers Skellfteå in the Swedish elite league. The goal looks in this moment late in the third, to be the game winner. Way to go Nick, hopefully there will be more. :handclap: :handclap:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Nicklas Bäckström has scored in this seasons opening game against newcomers Skellfteå in the Swedish elite league. The goal looks in this moment late in the third, to be the game winner. Way to go Nick, hopefully there will be more. :handclap: :handclap:

cool

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Awesome I guess - Lets hope a seperate thread isn't opened up for every player who scores :shakehead

Wow... he wanted to dedicate a thread to one player and you come and troll with this message? I think there are alot of NA hockey fans interested in regular updates of Nicklas Backstrom. Thanks for coming out though.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm

He did look a bit off to start with, took at least one silly penalty.

But did recover as the game continued.

On the other hand, let's all cut him some slack, he's heralded as the 'new big star', journalists can't say his name without also naming Peter Forsberg,

Swedish media is mad about him, "finally a new star, to follow Forsberg and Sundin!", Henrik's Lundqvist and Zetterberg are obviously forgotten.

But one thing is clear, he did the right thing, this year in sweden will prepare him for next year in Washington. He'll be chased by media, he'll be expected to deliver and every bad game and mistake will be national news.

I'm just waiting for the tabloids to start shouting "Hockey Super Star Nicklas Bäckström seen with leggy blonde!".

// hdw

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
He sure did look off in the first period, bounced back nicely later on.

One thing I noticed is that he really wants to have the puck.
I expect great things this season!

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Wow... he wanted to dedicate a thread to one player and you come and troll with this message? I think there are alot of NA hockey fans interested in regular updates of Nicklas Backstrom. Thanks for coming out though.
If you were here last year, you'd know what I'm talking about. Everday it was look who came back, or he scores, etc. Just gets tedious. Dont get me wrong I would love to hear Backstrom updates. I guess I took the thread the wrong way.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

The tread title was different as well. It was first titled Backstrom scores in his first game.

Ant is right. We had a ton of those threads last year everytime someone would score a goal. With the way it was first titled, did you want to see 25-30 more of the same?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Bäckström scored 2 goals tonight as his team, Brynäs, defeated SEL league leaders Timrå 4-3. Bäckström leads the SEL in points, having scored impressive 20 points in 13 games (and quite frankly been very dominant the last couple of weeks).

SEL Scoring Leaders

Rk Name Team Pos GP G A TP
1 Bäckström, Nicklas Brynäs CE 13 8 12 20
2 Brendl, Pavel Mora RW 13 14 3 17
3 Söderberg, Anders Skellefteå LW 14 3 13 16
4 Hedström, Jonathan Timrå LW 13 6 9 15
5 Kallio, Tomi Frölunda RW 14 4 10 14

Last edited:

SChan*

Compare that with his 26 points in 46 games last season. His development is sensational.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
wow... All I can say is, my fellow habs fans are raving about Kostitsyn, but other teams have players like this. Geez, why can't we have one player like this for once!

Sutherby

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
For those of you who get to watch his Brynas games...Would you mind giving me an actual comparison to Forsberg and or Sundin? I have only seen his SEL play through highlight clips and I am impressed but how about his complete game?

SChan*

For those of you who get to watch his Brynas games...Would you mind giving me an actual comparison to Forsberg and or Sundin? I have only seen his SEL play through highlight clips and I am impressed but how about his complete game?

I live in the same town as Brynas so I see their games. I'd say skillvise with the puck, Backstrom is looking to be on the same level as Forsberg. He is a passing machine, but I think he will also be a better finisher than Forsberg. While backstrom is no slouch physically I think Forsberg is going to have the edge in that area.

I predict this:

Stickhandling + passing = equal
finishing = Backstrom
pshyical edge = Forsberg

I mean, I am not really sure he will be better than Forsberg ever was because Forsberg is a hero in sweden and probably the best swedish player ever, but I like his chances if he continues to develop. He still has a long way to go though. Right now Backstrom needs to work on his skating, he said it himself. He is no bullet, but Forsberg is not known as a bullet either.

As for Backstrom vs Forsberg in the same age it's clear that Backstrom is a little ahead right now. His PPG in SEL for far is a lot better than any other swedish junior. The season is long though and players are known for slumps. But I predict that his PPG is going to be over 1.00 when it's over. Right now it's at 1.54 and his linemates are way behind so it's not that he is playing with great players either.

I'd say it's looking very good for his future right now. His coach said that he is god's gift to hockey. Of course it's exaggerating a whole lot, but it's good to inspire confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
So, who has the 18-19 year old ponts record in the SEL and is Backstrom going to break it?

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM
2006-07 Brynas IF Gavle SEL 16 9 12 21 16

That's pretty impressive stuff.

Also, are we seeing a Peter Forberg like development curve here?

Forsberg born July 73'

1990-91 Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 23 7 10 17 22
1991-92 Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 39 9 19 28 78
1992-93 Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 39 23 24 47 92
1993-94 Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 39 18 26 44 82

Backstrom born November 87'

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2004-05 Brynas IF Gavle SEL 19 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Brynas IF Gavle SEL 46 10 16 26 30 4 1 0 1 2
2006-07 Brynas IF Gavle SEL 16 9 12 21 16

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
To update, Backstrom had 2 assists today in a 3 - 3 tie vs Djurgården (Brynas blew a 3 - 0 lead with 7 minutes left in the 3rd)

now has 26 pts (9g - 17a) through 21 games (also 9th in Face offs)

to note: last year he had 26pts (10g - 16a) in 46 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad